TDF "artwork" on France TV coverage

Old August 7th 04, 05:11 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default TDF "artwork" on France TV coverage

One of the most enjoyable (ok, silly) things about watching the TDF in
France (on France TV, not Eurosport) are the one-off cartoons some guy
scribbles and tosses up on the screen.

Does anybody know who that guy is, and whether there's an archive of his
"art" somewhere?

Thanks-

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 7th 04, 03:00 PM
matabala

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
One of the most enjoyable (ok, silly) things about watching the TDF in
France (on France TV, not Eurosport) are the one-off cartoons some guy
scribbles and tosses up on the screen.

Does anybody know who that guy is, and whether there's an archive of his
"art" somewhere?

Thanks-

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

His name is Bernard Chenez and his illustrations are one of the best things
going during the Tour. He's been doing "en direct" illustration since 1990.
He's got a spot-on sense for characterization, never mean-spirited but
always revealing. This year's Armstrong was not to be missed, even more
pronounced than in years past. He started out doing political illustrations
but moved into sports some years ago. He works for France Television I
believe, doing drawings also for football matches and Roland Garros tennis.
He's the one responsible for Jalabert's nickname "the Panda" taken from one
of his spontaneous designs during the Tour. I read where he did 486
designs for the 2002 Tour (what's that, 25 a day?).

There are a number of albums of his "cartoons" published in France. From
what I could find mostly older political and football collections, also some
of the drawings he's done for L'Equipe. I believe some of his Tour stuff is
available in album form the only problem being it's never the entire run
just a few selective images. You don't get the same continuity as you do
following his live visuel commentary. Try fnac.com or amazon.fr for his
albums.

Old August 7th 04, 04:41 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

His name is Bernard Chenez and his illustrations are one of the best
things
going during the Tour. He's been doing "en direct" illustration since

1990.
He's got a spot-on sense for characterization, never mean-spirited but
always revealing. This year's Armstrong was not to be missed, even more
pronounced than in years past.

I agree completely, the guy is really, really, REALLY good. It's too bad
the US audience doesn't get to see his work. Did you see the one he did the
morning of the Grand Bournand stage ("Who invented the Col?").
Understandable in a unviversal fashion by *any* cyclist.

There are a number of albums of his "cartoons" published in France. From
what I could find mostly older political and football collections, also

some
of the drawings he's done for L'Equipe. I believe some of his Tour stuff

is
available in album form the only problem being it's never the entire run
just a few selective images. You don't get the same continuity as you do
following his live visuel commentary. Try fnac.com or amazon.fr for his
albums.

That's really unfortunate. It would be so cool if one of the TDF-in-review
books would include all his work, in-line with the action.

Thanks greatly for the info.