fat burning and Accelerade

Old August 12th 04, 05:46 PM
Chris

Default fat burning and Accelerade

"Greg" wrote in message
When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25% protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly. Problem is, I
would like to lose about 5 lbs. Accelerade is high cal. Does that hurt
the weight loss effort? Anybody know how much is "too much". When I
just drink water I feel hammered.

Absolutely the last place you want to cut calories is during your rides or
anywhere that has any negative effect on your performance. Use that as a
simple guide and look at other meals for weight loss opportunities.

Old August 12th 04, 07:03 PM
Greg

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:46:36 -0500, Greg
wrote:

When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25% protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly. Problem is, I
would like to lose about 5 lbs. Accelerade is high cal. Does that hurt
the weight loss effort? Anybody know how much is "too much". When I
just drink water I feel hammered.

Man, I'm glad I asked for some input. I think I'll just keep drinking
my 2 bottles of Accelerade and enjoy the ride.
Thanks everybody,
Greg

Old August 12th 04, 07:25 PM
Tom Schulenburg

"warren" wrote in message
In article , Bob in CT
wrote:

SNIP

Ammonia, for one. I also think your body isn't as efficient at
converting protein into the fuel you need during a ride as it is with
carbs. Maybe you aren't producing much ammonia, in part because the
total amount of protein isn't really that much, but the energy (500+
calories per hour) has to come from somewhere and it's not all coming
from your bodyfat.

I haven't read about this topic for 5+ years so I just did a google on
"Protein exercise ammonia" and there are lots of articles about this.
Here's one with an excerpt...

http://www.planetultra.com/training/born4.html

SNIP

Very interesting article. A couple of things:

First, Accelerade has a Carb to Protein ratio of 4 to 1 (20%). The article
mentioned recommends 15% Protein. Is the extra 5% a detriment?

Second, My understanding based on the article is that "Protein exercise
ammonia" is a result of having too little protein intake after the first 90
minutes of exercise. Are you trying to say that an excess of protein intake
will cause this as well? At the very least, it seems to be saying there is
no added benefit of taking Acellerade during the first 90 minutes of a
workout.

Thanks for your input on this.

-T

Old August 12th 04, 07:32 PM
Tom Schulenburg

wrote:

When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25% protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly. Problem is, I
would like to lose about 5 lbs. Accelerade is high cal. Does that hurt
the weight loss effort? Anybody know how much is "too much". When I
just drink water I feel hammered.

Man, I'm glad I asked for some input. I think I'll just keep drinking
my 2 bottles of Accelerade and enjoy the ride.
Thanks everybody,
Greg

Based on information in previous posts, You might want to consider having
one bottle of electrolyte, and one bottle of Acellerade (for the second half
of your ride.) This would allow you to cut some of the calories and still
get the recovery benefits of the Carb/Protein mix.

-T (going to try this myself)

Old August 12th 04, 09:05 PM
Warren

"Tom Schulenburg" wrote in message
m...

"warren" wrote in message

Very interesting article. A couple of things:

First, Accelerade has a Carb to Protein ratio of 4 to 1 (20%). The article
mentioned recommends 15% Protein. Is the extra 5% a detriment?

I don't know if 5% would matter, but I think they're suggesting the protein
for long rides, and probably only towards the end of the ride when as much
as 15% might be appropriate. I'm sure the people at Accelerade would like
you to use as much of their product as possible so the studies they
reference may suggest that the product is needed, but not as often or as
much as Accelerade's marketing department would like you to believe.

Second, My understanding based on the article is that "Protein exercise
ammonia" is a result of having too little protein intake after the first

90
minutes of exercise. Are you trying to say that an excess of protein

intake
will cause this as well?

If you're digesting protein then ammonia is present. How much that matters,
I don't know, but I don't think it's a good thing. I think if you provide
enough carbs, or as much as possible you will lessen the need for protein
during the exercise-whether eaten or from muscle catabolism. The article
claims that you'll get some protein from somewhere later in the ride and if
you're processing protein it will create some ammonia as a byproduct and
that you should minimize the presence of ammonia.

Before long rides (3+ hours) I have some protein from yogurt or maybe some
milk, and before races (usually 95-110 minutes of criteriums plus another
hour of warmups) I have about 20 grams of milk and whey protein to cover
what I might need.

I used to use Twinlab's KIC Fuel (ketoisocapreate or something like that)
which they claimed would reduce ammonia from protein synthesis, and when I
used it I noticed a very obvious reduction in the ammonia smell I'd have in
my nose immediately after long rides-especially long rides without quite
enough carbs for fuel. I don't think KIC Fuel is available anymore but
Twinlab still includes KIC in some of their protein powders-probably to
reduce ammonia problems from digesting the protein drink.

-Warren

Old August 13th 04, 06:45 AM
warren

In article , A. Antonovitz

I just bought some Cytomax energy drink, which "contains no complete
proteins, only selected amino acids". Can this still be useful in
preventing muscle catabolism?

Probably not enough to matter, or help either.

Guys used to eat a hard-boiled egg during a ride- an excellent source
of some good aminos. A few bites from a baked potato once in awhile, a
banana or two, some bread with jam, along with a few bottles of water
and some de-fizzed coke near the end. What were they thinking?!

-WG
Old August 13th 04, 05:05 PM
Chris

"warren" wrote in message
In article , Tom
Schulenburg wrote:

"Warren" wrote in message
news

"Greg" wrote in message
When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25% protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly.

Save that drink for AFTER the ride. (I'll bet it says that on the

label.)

No - You're supposed to drink it during the ride, and Endurox after.

You may want to reconsider using a drink with so much protein in it
DURING a ride. Check into how your body converts carbs and protein into
fuel during a ride.

-WG

I cut both in half with carb drinks. I don't know about the 1/5 4/5 combo
for recovery, but that is way too much protien for on the bike IMO. With my
mixture I get 1/9 and 8/9 carb and about the same # calories (or less) per
bottle as Gatorade.

Old August 13th 04, 05:11 PM
Chris

"Tom Schulenburg" wrote in message
m...

"warren" wrote in message
In article , Bob in CT
wrote:

SNIP

Ammonia, for one. I also think your body isn't as efficient at
converting protein into the fuel you need during a ride as it is with
carbs. Maybe you aren't producing much ammonia, in part because the
total amount of protein isn't really that much, but the energy (500+
calories per hour) has to come from somewhere and it's not all coming
from your bodyfat.

I haven't read about this topic for 5+ years so I just did a google on
"Protein exercise ammonia" and there are lots of articles about this.
Here's one with an excerpt...

http://www.planetultra.com/training/born4.html

SNIP

Very interesting article. A couple of things:

First, Accelerade has a Carb to Protein ratio of 4 to 1 (20%).

I thought is was 1/5. 1 part protien and 4 parts carb = 1/5 protien.

Old August 13th 04, 05:14 PM
Chris

"Chris" wrote in message
. ..

"Tom Schulenburg" wrote in message
m...

"warren" wrote in message
In article , Bob in CT
wrote:

SNIP

Ammonia, for one. I also think your body isn't as efficient at
converting protein into the fuel you need during a ride as it is with
carbs. Maybe you aren't producing much ammonia, in part because the
total amount of protein isn't really that much, but the energy (500+
calories per hour) has to come from somewhere and it's not all coming
from your bodyfat.

I haven't read about this topic for 5+ years so I just did a google on
"Protein exercise ammonia" and there are lots of articles about this.
Here's one with an excerpt...

http://www.planetultra.com/training/born4.html

SNIP

Very interesting article. A couple of things:

First, Accelerade has a Carb to Protein ratio of 4 to 1 (20%).

I thought is was 1/5. 1 part protien and 4 parts carb = 1/5 protien.

Never mind, I think you must have calculated it that way if you came up with
20% to 80%.

Old August 13th 04, 05:17 PM
Chris

wrote:

[...]

That is precisely why I mix them, to get a better ratio. I don't want to
fuss over drinking half and half. I always use up the front and then swap
and I would rather make sure I have a steady stream of my lower ratio drink.