Tire sizing 26x2.1

Old December 14th 05, 08:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tire sizing 26x2.1

Hi,

I'm looking for a new set of tires for my crossbike. I saw a pair of tires
advertised as 26x2.1. Is that an MTB tire? What size are tires for cross
bikes?

TIA! Derk
Old December 14th 05, 09:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article , Derk
wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a new set of tires for my crossbike. I saw a pair of tires
advertised as 26x2.1. Is that an MTB tire? What size are tires for cross
bikes?

TIA! Derk

Yes, 26 x 2.1 refers to (2+ inch wide) MTB tire. CX bikes are spec'ed
with 700c rims (that's 622mm, standard road bike diameter); and
generally they'll accept tire widths ranging from 23(mm) to 45 with the
slimmest tires determined by the width of your rims, and the fattest,
your chainstay clearance and/or the presence of fenders. If your last
set of tires is still available, check the sidewalls, the specs are
usually listed there. Unless you've an exceptional CX'er forget about
mounting a 2" wide tire.

This will give you an idea of what's available:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/622.html

Luke
Old December 14th 05, 09:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article , Derk
) wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a new set of tires for my crossbike. I saw a pair of tires
advertised as 26x2.1. Is that an MTB tire?

Almost certainly.

What size are tires for cross bikes?

Generally ISO 622 (aka 700C or 28")

And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And
the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries
of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and
to them it is the holocaust."
Old December 14th 05, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:39:18 +0100, Derk wrote:

I'm looking for a new set of tires for my crossbike. I saw a pair of tires
advertised as 26x2.1. Is that an MTB tire? What size are tires for cross
bikes?

Look on the sidewalls of your tires.

Matt O.

Old December 14th 05, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a new set of tires for my crossbike. I saw a pair of tires
advertised as 26x2.1. Is that an MTB tire? What size are tires for cross
bikes?

26x2.1 is a size for a 559 wheel, which is most often found on a
mountain bike or cruiser but may also be employed on other types.
Look at your current tires for the size designation, and go from
there. If it says 26x1.5 now, you've got 559 rims; if it says
something like 700x35 or 700x40, you have 622 rims. The former take
decimal-designated 26 by X tires, and the latter take 700 by X tires.

Most likely, your bike will use 700c tires. Sometimes these are
marketed as "28 inch" or even "29 inch", but the 700 designation will
be on them somewhere.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old December 15th 05, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Derk wrote:
I'm looking for a new set of tires for my crossbike. I saw a pair of tires
advertised as 26x2.1. Is that an MTB tire? What size are tires for cross
bikes?

Modern bikes nearly all have either 26 decimal tires ( 26 x
1.2, 1.5, etc to 2.2, 2.4) diameter is 559mm and all 26
decimal tires will fit all decimal 26 rims.

The other dominant size is 700C, from 700x18 through 700x55.
Diameter is 622mm. Any 700C tire fits any 700C rim.

There are other considerations though. A fat touring 700C
rim will mount a 700C x18 triathon tire but it would be
virtually undrideable as the tire's cross section would be a
wide flat arc, prone to rim dents. A skinny rim with a
700x55 will be beyond the limits of many brakes - adjusted
tight enough to stop it won't release enough to remove a wheel.

And obviously clearance to the frame, mudguards and brakes
is important too so, practically, your range of tires is
limited on any given bike.

And when you hear "twenty nine inches" think "700C x fat"

Smooth tires give more contact and so better cornering on
pavement. If the surface moves - mud, snow, sand - then
tread counts. On pavement, tread merely limits contact to
no advantage.

Cross bikes are commonly 700C x 25, 28, 32, 35, often knobby.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org