oil on white carpet

Old October 3rd 09, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

Default oil on white carpet

How do I get old chain oil off a white wool carpet?

Quick!
Old October 3rd 09, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message

from TerryJ contains these words:

How do I get old chain oil off a white wool carpet?

Quick!

White spirit (turps substitute).

Saurate stain, blot of using multiple clean cloths. Exert as little
pressue as possible.

--
Helen Vecht
Edgware
Old October 3rd 09, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_2_]

TerryJ wrote in news:8a71d204-f6c5-4810-92c4-
:

How do I get old chain oil off a white wool carpet?

Quick!

Swarfega + hot water. Methylated spirit will also dissolve any residual
marks hopefully.

Quick before the missus gets back from shopping!
Old October 3rd 09, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 05:51:44 -0700 (PDT), TerryJ
wrote:

How do I get old chain oil off a white wool carpet?

Depends on the type of oil. I usually find that Finish Line degreaser
gets most oily residues out of most carpets.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc
Old October 3rd 09, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

TerryJ wrote:
How do I get old chain oil off a white wool carpet?

Quick!

However successfully that you do it, she 'will' know.

--

Tony Dragon
Old October 3rd 09, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

How do I get old chain oil off a white wool carpet?

Quick!

However successfully that you do it, she 'will' know.

Yes, I cannot imagine me getting it out leaving no trace at all. I am
hesitating to use solvents in case it spreads and embeds it . I think
first I will dust it with talc then hoover it .

Pale carpets is a thing real blokes do not understand.
Old October 3rd 09, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian[_8_]

"TerryJ" wrote in message
How do I get old chain oil off a white wool carpet?

Quick!

Cut out a small square of carpet around the oil patch.

From an area of carpet underneath the sofa, cut out another
identically shaped square.

Swap the two squares of carpet over before Erindoors gets home.

Pray she never moves the sofa.

Old October 3rd 09, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Gerhard

TerryJ wrote:
How do I get old chain oil off a white wool carpet?

Quick!

How about the Shaggy defence? "It wasn't me"
Old October 3rd 09, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Sat, 3 Oct 2009 08:56:38

uk.rec.cycling TerryJ

How do I get old chain oil off a white wool carpet?

Quick!

However successfully that you do it, she 'will' know.

Yes, I cannot imagine me getting it out leaving no trace at all. I am
hesitating to use solvents in case it spreads and embeds it . I think
first I will dust it with talc then hoover it .

Pale carpets is a thing real blokes do not understand.

Failing all else, engage partner in a cuddle with wine glass in hand and
spill appropriately.

Not a bicycle answer, I know. For that I have a secret stash of "Stain
Devils" (dunno if they are still available) the ingredients in the
"Grease and Oil" one are

===
wash hands thoroughly after use
===
hmmm

I'm going to go for plain white spirit, wipe towards the stain from the
outside to loosen it (stay within the stain) and then use something like
washing up liquid as a surfactant. Keep it close to the spot!

Good luck.

The real problem is that if you clean it properly the new white bit will
be noticed

Then you get into "well, it may _look_ white but it wasn't was it? it
was sort of grey"

New carpet ? Ouch. Moral: lay down plastic sheeting before working on
bike in lounge.

--
Wm...
Old October 3rd 09, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Sat, 3 Oct 2009 19:29:53
uk.rec.cycling Ian

"TerryJ" wrote in message
How do I get old chain oil off a white wool carpet?

Quick!

Cut out a small square of carpet around the oil patch.

From an area of carpet underneath the sofa, cut out another
identically shaped square.

Swap the two squares of carpet over before Erindoors gets home.

Pray she never moves the sofa.

Or think bigger squares.

Rotate the entire carpet by 90 degree multiples until the expected
effect is available.

This may involve furniture and friends depending on the room and carpet
size.

--
Wm...

Oil Stains on carpet Mark Thompson UK 2 January 5th 07 04:17 PM
Standup WW On Carpet? unicycle2280 Unicycling 5 March 30th 06 07:56 PM
Sweeped under the carpet ? Guarantee it ! cameron41 Australia 25 April 22nd 05 12:18 PM
Fanini called on the carpet Ivan A. Blunt Racing 2 December 1st 04 08:18 PM
Fanini called on the carpet Ivan A. Blunt Racing 0 December 1st 04 07:15 PM