Slime example

Old March 12th 12, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Slime example

Today I couldn't pretend that the damp spot on my front tire was from
a wet road . . .

But the tire pressure was still good . . .

So I went for my daily ride, even though I noticed a tiny tuft of
white fibers sticking out of the tire, just as I started off.

Back home, I pulled the tube, pumped it up, and was pleased to see
that the Slime fibers and goo were still doing their job:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2is8cd4.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/v6mds6.jpg

No hissing even out of the tire, but overnight the tube bled enough
Slime to make a damp spot on the tire.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 12th 12, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

Carl Fogel,
Nice photos, and very nice looking patch jobs!
How did you remove the rubber rib that passes under the patches?
Thanks,
Kerry

Old March 12th 12, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

WE SUSPECT FOUL PLAY AT THE CULDESACK.

Yes, I suspect foulplay. I see goatheads but always under the goathead bush not scattered willy nilly on the path.
Old March 12th 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 08:52:10 -0700, "Kerry Montgomery"
wrote:

Carl Fogel,
Nice photos, and very nice looking patch jobs!
How did you remove the rubber rib that passes under the patches?
Thanks,
Kerry

wrote in message
.. .
Today I couldn't pretend that the damp spot on my front tire was from
a wet road . . .

But the tire pressure was still good . . .

So I went for my daily ride, even though I noticed a tiny tuft of
white fibers sticking out of the tire, just as I started off.

Back home, I pulled the tube, pumped it up, and was pleased to see
that the Slime fibers and goo were still doing their job:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2is8cd4.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/v6mds6.jpg

No hissing even out of the tire, but overnight the tube bled enough
Slime to make a damp spot on the tire.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Dear Kerry,

To patch a tube, I stretch it flat around the round end of a handy
vise (a 2x4 or piece of plastic pipe works, too) and clip it in place
with a cheap plastic spring-clip:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2u5x8xd.jpg

(The toothpick makes sure that I can find the tiniest hole after the
cement goes on.)

A couple of swipes with the flexible sanding block removes ridges,
mold release, and anything else, leaving bare rubber.

I brush cement on the tube, slap the patch on, and slip a dozen rubber
bands over the patch to hold it firmly in place. It's nice to know
that the edges are being pressed firmly against the tube. For all I
know, the cement doesn't care, but the rubber bands don't hurt.

Tomorrow, I'll pump the tube up to see if any other leaks appear or if
the patch fails for some unexpected reason, deflate it, roll it up,
put a rubber band around it, slip it in a baggie, and stuff it in the
box with its dozen identical twins to wait its next turn in my tires.

A baggie is slippery and much easier to pull out of my crowded bike
frame bag than a bare rubber tube.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 12th 12, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:09:29 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt

:Today I couldn't pretend that the damp spot on my front tire was from
:a wet road . . .

:But the tire pressure was still good . . .

:So I went for my daily ride, even though I noticed a tiny tuft of
:white fibers sticking out of the tire, just as I started off.

:Back home, I pulled the tube, pumped it up, and was pleased to see
:that the Slime fibers and goo were still doing their job:
: http://i39.tinypic.com/2is8cd4.jpg
: http://i44.tinypic.com/v6mds6.jpg

:No hissing even out of the tire, but overnight the tube bled enough
:Slime to make a damp spot on the tire.

That a goathead hole?

Dear David,

It's probably a goathead hole.

Sometimes I find the broken-off thorn still stuck in the tire, with
its base flush with the rubber, much like a wood-screw in a car tire
whose head has been ground off.

I dig broken-off goathead thorns out with the end of one of the
paper-clips hanging from my bike bag zipper. (I carry two paper-clips
because sometimes one vanishes by the side of the road, much like a
quick-connect link.)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 13th 12, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

wrote:
Carl Fogel,
Nice photos, and very nice looking patch jobs!
How did you remove the rubber rib that passes under the patches?
Thanks,
Kerry

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I like the trick of wrapping the tube around a cylindrical object,
plus using a sanding block. I do that as well, generally with a 1.5"
dowel that's stored nearby and mounted in my bench vise.

Instead of the stitcher that David showed, after patching I take a
second dowel and roll it over the patch, holding it perpendicular to
the stationary dowel. With two hands I can get lots of pressure on
the patch. Seems to work well.

Unlike Carl, I've never needed to buy my patch glue by the quart. ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

Old March 13th 12, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Frank Krygowski wrote:

:Instead of the stitcher that David showed, after patching I take a
:second dowel and roll it over the patch, holding it perpendicular to
:the stationary dowel. With two hands I can get lots of pressure on
:the patch. Seems to work well.

The sticher is fast and works reliably. I've put a few thousand
patches on, and it's the right tool. I don't know that i'd go buy
one, but Carl seems to get a lot more flats than I do, given that's
he's got a well developed system (and he lives in goathead hell....).

:Unlike Carl, I've never needed to buy my patch glue by the quart. ;-)

That's just 8 oz jar. that's about a day's supply at a busy tire
shop, and a lifetime supply for most cyclists. The brush attached
to the lid is very handy, though, and for five or six bucks at an auto
parts store, well worth it if you patch any number of tubes at all.

--
sig 103
Old March 13th 12, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 04:49:31 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt

:
::No hissing even out of the tire, but overnight the tube bled enough
::Slime to make a damp spot on the tire.
:
:That a goathead hole?

ear David,

:It's probably a goathead hole.

:Sometimes I find the broken-off thorn still stuck in the tire, with
:its base flush with the rubber, much like a wood-screw in a car tire
:whose head has been ground off.

:I dig broken-off goathead thorns out with the end of one of the
aper-clips hanging from my bike bag zipper. (I carry two paper-clips
:because sometimes one vanishes by the side of the road, much like a
:quick-connect link.)

Thanks for reminding me to replace teh safety pins I keep in my wallet
coin pocket.

Can I suggest an addition to your patching tool kit?
http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Handle-.../dp/B005DJ9860

Allow the glue to dry, slap the patch on, and use the stitcher to
firmly press it into place. No need to wait overnight to see if it
works.

Dear Dave,

I have one. It didn't work very well.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Slime Pro DirtRoadie Techniques 2 June 5th 09 10:11 PM
(((((SLIME)))))) john Techniques 17 September 19th 06 01:56 AM
Slime? njf>badger UK 3 December 17th 04 03:07 PM
slime charles ramsey Techniques 4 April 24th 04 11:06 PM
SLime! Lee UK 3 September 19th 03 05:00 PM