fat burning and Accelerade

Old August 11th 04, 09:46 PM
Greg

Default fat burning and Accelerade

When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25% protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly. Problem is, I
would like to lose about 5 lbs. Accelerade is high cal. Does that hurt
the weight loss effort? Anybody know how much is "too much". When I
just drink water I feel hammered.
Old August 11th 04, 10:06 PM
Jiyang Chen

"Greg" wrote in message
When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25% protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly. Problem is, I
would like to lose about 5 lbs. Accelerade is high cal. Does that hurt
the weight loss effort? Anybody know how much is "too much". When I
just drink water I feel hammered.

If you wanna lose weight, you want to eat 1.0-1.5% per kilogram body
weight of carbs. If you want to keep weight steady, use this:

http://www.self.com/calculators/inde...tors/calc_inpu
t.cgi?dir=carbohydrate_need&calculate=CRB&title=Ca rbohydrate%20Need

Old August 11th 04, 11:04 PM
Warren

"Greg" wrote in message
When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25% protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly.

Save that drink for AFTER the ride. (I'll bet it says that on the label.)

A carb drink and maybe a tiny amount of protein will probably be more
effective during your rides.

-WG

Old August 11th 04, 11:08 PM
Warren

"Jiyang Chen" wrote in message

"Greg" wrote in message
When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25% protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly. Problem is, I
would like to lose about 5 lbs. Accelerade is high cal. Does that hurt
the weight loss effort? Anybody know how much is "too much". When I
just drink water I feel hammered.

If you wanna lose weight, you want to eat 1.0-1.5% per kilogram body
weight of carbs. If you want to keep weight steady, use this:

http://www.self.com/calculators/inde...tors/calc_inpu
t.cgi?dir=carbohydrate_need&calculate=CRB&title=Ca rbohydrate%20Need

C'mon now, is this really how you'll figure this out? You can do much
better.

-WG

Old August 12th 04, 12:47 AM
Tom Schulenburg

"Warren" wrote in message
news

"Greg" wrote in message
When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25% protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly.

Save that drink for AFTER the ride. (I'll bet it says that on the label.)

No - You're supposed to drink it during the ride, and Endurox after.

-T

Old August 12th 04, 03:20 AM
Ken Papai

"Greg" ...
When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25% protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly. Problem is, I
would like to lose about 5 lbs. Accelerade is high cal. Does that hurt
the weight loss effort? Anybody know how much is "too much". When I
just drink water I feel hammered.

You gain weight by consuming more calories than you burn.

-Ken

Old August 12th 04, 05:05 AM
warren

In article , Tom
Schulenburg wrote:

"Warren" wrote in message
news

"Greg" wrote in message
When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25% protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly.

Save that drink for AFTER the ride. (I'll bet it says that on the label.)

No - You're supposed to drink it during the ride, and Endurox after.

You may want to reconsider using a drink with so much protein in it
DURING a ride. Check into how your body converts carbs and protein into
fuel during a ride.

-WG
Old August 12th 04, 05:08 AM
warren

In article XtASc.271416$JR4.61578@attbi_s54, Ken Papai
wrote:

"Greg" ...
When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25% protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly. Problem is, I
would like to lose about 5 lbs. Accelerade is high cal. Does that hurt
the weight loss effort? Anybody know how much is "too much". When I
just drink water I feel hammered.

You gain weight by consuming more calories than you burn.

I think we're going to need something a little more sexy than that.
Perhaps an interactive form that can calculate that? Or a three
paragraph article with buzzwords and magical methods marketed by
somebody with just one name...

-WG
Old August 12th 04, 05:31 AM
Jiyang Chen

"Greg" wrote in message
When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25%

protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly. Problem

is, I
would like to lose about 5 lbs. Accelerade is high cal. Does that

hurt
the weight loss effort? Anybody know how much is "too much". When

just drink water I feel hammered.

If you wanna lose weight, you want to eat 1.0-1.5% per kilogram body
weight of carbs. If you want to keep weight steady, use this:

http://www.self.com/calculators/inde...tors/calc_inpu
t.cgi?dir=carbohydrate_need&calculate=CRB&title=Ca rbohydrate%20Need

C'mon now, is this really how you'll figure this out? You can do much
better.

-WG

yes. how do you do it?

Old August 12th 04, 06:49 AM
Al James

Greg wrote in
:

When I drink a couples bottles of Accelerade (75%carbs, 25% protein)
say on a 50 mile ride, I feel great and recover quickly. Problem is, I
would like to lose about 5 lbs. Accelerade is high cal. Does that hurt
the weight loss effort? Anybody know how much is "too much". When I
just drink water I feel hammered.

Don't worry about it. On a 50-mile ride, assuming 160 lbs body weight and a
leisurely 16.7 mph, you'd burn about 1700 calories. Accelerade is 120
calories per 12 oz if you mix it at their recommended strength. Drinking a
couple of bottles is still going to leave you with -1200 calories for the
ride. Assuming you're not overdoing it on your meals you should have a
calorie deficit for the day even with the Accelerade.

You feel hammered on just water because you're probably depleting muscle
glycogen and bonking.

You could try watering down the sports drink some to see if you can get by
with less energy intake during the ride if you really want to maximize
daily calorie deficit.

Al