When your LiveSTRONG band breaks...

Old August 13th 04, 02:23 AM
brice

Default When your LiveSTRONG band breaks...

The "original" one is made in China. Says so right on it. Can't
believe anyone would pay 5-10 bucks for one, though.

"Voltaire" wrote in message ...
How do you know you're buying an "official" Livestrong band off e-bay and
not a cheap knock-off from China?

Vol

"Karen M." wrote in message
om...
..and it will (mine at the "S")...

"Bondini" superglue will put it back together. (I tried several
compounds, including Shoe Goo, Automotive Mender, and a tire patch.)

Also, a strip of reinforcing fabric on the wrist-side of the
stamped lettering will add stability. I used 1/4" yellow bias tape
from a fabric store.

There, I just saved you a trip to E-bay, where the sellers hawking
these for $5-10 are certainly donating the extra proceeds to the
original good cause!

--Karen M.
presently enjoying a tape of Stage 18

Old August 13th 04, 02:53 AM
Bob Schwartz

OK, here's a question for all you bracelet wearers...

When does it become less about supporting cancer research
and more about your ego.

Just curious.

Bob Schwartz

Old August 13th 04, 02:59 AM
Bob Schwartz

skuke wrote:
I have cofirmed with Kevin Filo from LAF.org that counterfeit wristbands do
exist. I bought some from eBay ($1.00 ea with .35-.50 shipping) and some
from a LBS. The LBS bands came in a "retail" packaging and the eBay ones
came in an unmarked plastic bag. However, I've also received one (from a
friend) that came from LAF in an unmarked bag.

Anyhow, unless you compare them side by side, they are difficult to tell
apart. The counterfeits are a lighter shade of yellow and the font is
slightly different. It is also slightly thinner. Both say "Made in China"
on the inside. ...ironic or what??

Just sad that all the money being spent on bogus bands are not going to LAF
and cancer research.

You know how you get around that? How to make sure all your money
goes to the LAF?

You write them a check. You can donate online if you'd like:
https://secure.laf.org/Donations/donate_amount.cfm

And you don't bother with the silly bracelets because the bracelets
are about not about cancer research. They're about ego.

Bob Schwartz

Hey, maybe you could make a donation and have the amount tatoo'd on
your cheek or something. Wouldn't that be cool!
Old August 13th 04, 03:23 AM
RWM

"Bob Schwartz" wrote in message
OK, here's a question for all you bracelet wearers...

When does it become less about supporting cancer research
and more about your ego.

Just curious.

Bob Schwartz

Being a bit judgmental?

Old August 13th 04, 04:27 AM
Mtwhitney62

They should have someone more competent running the "Wear Yellow" campain;
there are so many people eager to buy them and none are available except on e
bay.
Old August 13th 04, 04:46 AM
Bob Schwartz

Mtwhitney62 wrote:
They should have someone more competent running the "Wear Yellow" campain;
there are so many people eager to buy them and none are available except on e
bay.

Bummer. I guess you'll have to support the LAF in a
meaningful way that no one will know about:
https://secure.laf.org/Donations/donate_amount.cfm

Instead of ****ing away pocket change on some cheesy
bracelet so that everyone knows what a swell guy you
are.

Bob Schwartz

Old August 13th 04, 04:54 AM
Tom Paterson

From: Bob Schwartz

And you don't bother with the silly bracelets because the bracelets
are about not about cancer research. They're about ego.

I relate to the "shame" of cancer in general and testicular cancer in
particular. I think the bracelets are kind of silly, too. But they're doing
some good.

The bracelets have generated some bucks and some notice for LAF.

The ego part, well, we live in a messy world. People are generally kind of
ignorant, etc. etc. Eight million toward something possibly positive, what the
hell. --TP

Old August 13th 04, 05:39 AM
skuke

On 12 Aug 2004 23:51:37 GMT, TritonRider wrote:

I would've been a lot happier if they had found a mfr in
a N. American or European country.

I agree. But what do you expect from something made by Nike?

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Old August 13th 04, 08:06 AM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Friday 13 August 2004 03:59, Bob Schwartz wrote:
And you don't bother with the silly bracelets because the bracelets
are about not about cancer research. They're about ego.

Yes they are, or more specifically about fashion hype. I bet that for
99.9% (OK, maybe 99.8%) of the wearers, supporting the LAF is not a
part of the decision to buy the damn thing. So a lot of people who
would otherwise not think about it, are being "tricked" into donating
to cancer research. While I too fart in the general direction of the
stupid yellow bracelets (besides, azzurra is the new yellow), I fail to
see how this is all such a bad thing.

Livestrong, I've ordered mine. Callistus Valerius Racing 24 July 24th 04 08:05 PM
Livestrong JS Racing 0 July 24th 04 05:27 AM
Jan given an ultimatum; Wear a livestrong band or lose Saturday TT. Ronde Champ Racing 12 July 23rd 04 04:57 AM