Autofaq now on faster server

Old March 30th 05, 09:20 PM
wafflycat

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message

So are a few of the people at my particular place of gainful
employment, following the largest private buyout ever of a tech firm
(and believed to be the second biggest of any kind of firm).

I am not one of them. Bah!

So not, alas, a different 'bent for each day of the month...

Cheers, helen s ;-)

Old March 30th 05, 09:32 PM
Tony Raven

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

So are a few of the people at my particular place of gainful
employment, following the largest private buyout ever of a tech firm
(and believed to be the second biggest of any kind of firm).

I am not one of them. Bah!

You work for SunGard Data Systems and ICMFP ;-)

Tony
Old March 30th 05, 09:47 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Alan Braggins
') wrote:

In article , Peter Clinch wrote:
Simon Brooke wrote:

I haven't cut mine up to find out, but I don't think it does.
Certainly the seatpost recess does not go all the way down the seat
tube, and there is no 'entry' into the tubes from either the bottom
bracket shell or the head tube.

Hardly conclusive, but carbon paddle shafts /are/ hollow.

I very much doubt anyone would make a frame that was carbon all the
way through, for obvious reasons (it would add much more to the weight
and cost than it would to the strength and stiffness).

Some frames have foam cores - this one for example:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/carbonTTframe.htm
Gives something to compress the fibre against while laying it up.

Yes, I'm assuming that's what I've got - vacuum bagged over a structural
foam mandrel...

...yet others are made from straight tubes
joined together with more carbon on top in joint areas. No doubt
there are other possibilities as well.)

....but I can't swear it's not one of these. Tapping it doesn't make a
hollow sound, but still one can't be sure and the top tube and down
tube are both circular in cross section.

Iraq war: it's time for regime change...
... go now, Tony, while you can still go with dignity.
[update 18 months after this .sig was written: it's still relevant]
Old March 30th 05, 09:55 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Alan Braggins
') wrote:

In article , Alan Braggins
wrote:

Some frames have foam cores - this one for example:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/carbonTTframe.htm
Gives something to compress the fibre against while laying it up.

I'm lying, that's just using the foam core method to make a plug.

http://www.rqriley.com/xr2.htm really is foam cored carbon fibre
(without a plug and mould).

Interesting design. I wonder what the loss is in using a separate
primary chain? Putting the chainset behind the rider does solve the
problem of overlap between the chainset and the front wheel. It's a bit
sad to see something as beautifully low as that with a fat, knobbly
rear wheel.

;; Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Old March 30th 05, 10:31 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:32:24 +0100, Tony Raven
wrote in message :

You work for SunGard Data Systems and ICMFP ;-)

Was it a secret? I think we can probably deduce the identities of the
Evil Squirrels, come to that...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old March 31st 05, 11:16 AM
Alan Braggins

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Alan Braggins
In article , Alan Braggins
wrote:

Some frames have foam cores - this one for example:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/carbonTTframe.htm
Gives something to compress the fibre against while laying it up.

I'm lying, that's just using the foam core method to make a plug.

http://www.rqriley.com/xr2.htm really is foam cored carbon fibre
(without a plug and mould).

Interesting design. I wonder what the loss is in using a separate
primary chain? Putting the chainset behind the rider does solve the
problem of overlap between the chainset and the front wheel.

I think it would need some sort of chain idler in any case, so the
loss compared with that might not be very much. I think from the
photos the chainset wouldn't overlap the wheel even if it was at
the pedals. Atomic Zombie's Maurauder makes an interesting comparison:
http://www.atomiczombie.com/plans/bo...auder-pic6.htm
http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery/.../blueshark.htm
http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery/.../batmobike.htm
Old April 1st 05, 10:09 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Alan Braggins
') wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Alan Braggins
In article , Alan
Braggins wrote:

I'm lying, that's just using the foam core method to make a plug.

http://www.rqriley.com/xr2.htm really is foam cored carbon fibre
(without a plug and mould).

Interesting design. I wonder what the loss is in using a separate
primary chain? Putting the chainset behind the rider does solve the
problem of overlap between the chainset and the front wheel.

I think it would need some sort of chain idler in any case, so the
loss compared with that might not be very much. I think from the
photos the chainset wouldn't overlap the wheel even if it was at
the pedals. Atomic Zombie's Maurauder makes an interesting comparison:
http://www.atomiczombie.com/plans/bo...auder-pic6.htm
http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery/.../blueshark.htm
http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery/.../batmobike.htm

Yes, it's the Marauder design that #1 Wooden Bike will be based on.

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat.

Go Faster New Bike Recommendations ? Mike Beauchamp General 50 December 16th 04 04:13 PM
Go Faster New Bike Recommendations ? Mike Beauchamp Techniques 0 December 9th 04 12:57 AM
How much faster and I supposed to go? ChangingLINKS.com Unicycling 7 May 31st 04 01:23 PM
Scottish Cycling Fund Smithy UK 148 April 29th 04 12:56 AM
this newsgroup's URL Steve Fox Recumbent Biking 20 August 21st 03 03:34 AM