Shimano products to skyrocket in price.

Old March 16th 11, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Cicero Venatio

Default Shimano products to skyrocket in price.

Shimano has ceased all production, which will mean shortages. If some
of their production line gets radiated it could be catastrophe.
Old March 16th 11, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 3/15/2011 9:59 PM, Cicero Venatio wrote:
Shimano has ceased all production, which will mean shortages. If some of
their production line gets radiated it could be catastrophe.

Most likely a temporary blip.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old March 16th 11, 06:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Cicero Venatio wrote:

Shimano has ceased all production, which will mean shortages. *If some
of their production line gets radiated it could be catastrophe.

Remember, racers will relentlessly pursue any advantage, no matter how
dubious. Radioactive Di2 could be next season's must-have item.

A lot of the Shimano goods I see on a day-to-day basis come from
Malaysia or Singapore, which are located at a relatively safe distance
from the nuclear accident.

Chalo
Old March 16th 11, 09:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dieter Britz

Cicero Venatio wrote:

Shimano has ceased all production, which will mean shortages. If some
of their production line gets radiated it could be catastrophe.

I would think that the real catastrophe is taking place in Japan, and the
production of bike parts is the least of their worries right now, and
should be ours too. Sorry if I seem sanctimonious but a bit of
perspective here please.
--
Dieter Britz (dieterhansbritzatgmail.com)
Old March 16th 11, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Mar 15, 7:59*pm, Cicero Venatio wrote:
Shimano has ceased all production, which will mean shortages. *If some
of their production line gets radiated it could be catastrophe.

Have they? They're located in the south of Japan, about 500 miles from
the quake's epicenter and the nuclear zaniness.

I'm curious what your source is.
Old March 16th 11, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Mar 16, 7:49*am, Hank wrote:
On Mar 15, 7:59*pm, Cicero Venatio wrote:

Shimano has ceased all production, which will mean shortages. *If some
of their production line gets radiated it could be catastrophe.

Have they? They're located in the south of Japan, about 500 miles from
the quake's epicenter and the nuclear zaniness.

I'm curious what your source is.

In fact, they've said they're unaffected.

Shimano unaffected by Japanese earthquake and tsunami
By BikeRadar UK

Shimano say that, while their thoughts are with the victims of the
huge earthquake and tsunami that hit the northern part of Japan on
Friday, their head office and factory have thankfully not been
affected.

"The devastating earthquakes and tsunami that hit Japan last Friday
are currently not influencing the production and delivery of Shimano
bicycle components," said Shimano Europe press officer Harald Troost.

"The city of Sendai that was damaged severely is located almost 600km
from Sakai, Osaka, where Shimano have their headquarters. Also, the
Shimonoseki factory in Japan doesn't face any damages.

"The impact of the problems at the nuclear power plants remains an
uncertain factor at this moment. We'll keep our customers informed
about the situation. Our thoughts are with the victims of this
tragedy." Shimano's other major factories are based outside of Japan,
in other Asian countries including China.

http://tinyurl.com/shimanoquake
Old March 16th 11, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd[_2_]

On Mar 16, 7:52*am, Hank wrote:
On Mar 16, 7:49*am, Hank wrote:

[...]

Agree, the bigger news I heard last month was Shimano's plans to
discontinue or scale back its production of 9 speed products. So, if
you're like me and still using 9 speed, it is time to "stock up!"
Good Luck!
Old March 16th 11, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/16/2011 2:59 AM, Dieter Britz wrote:
Cicero Venatio wrote:

Shimano has ceased all production, which will mean shortages. If some
of their production line gets radiated it could be catastrophe.

I would think that the real catastrophe is taking place in Japan, and the
production of bike parts is the least of their worries right now, and
should be ours too. Sorry if I seem sanctimonious but a bit of
perspective here please.

Actually industrial production is a big worry in Japan right now.

The price of goods is not set by the cost of production, goods are
priced according to what consumers will pay for a product. Efforts to
raise prices because production costs increase, or because there are
currency fluctuations, often fail. Either the producer, the distributor,
or the retailer ends up taking a hit when attempted increases in
consumer prices cause a drop in demand. A bunch of bicycle
distributors/manufacturers are attempting to raise prices now. These
increases are unlikely to stick, and shops will soon see promotions from
the manufacturers in order to lower prices to keep demand up.
Old March 17th 11, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
On 3/15/2011 9:59 PM, Cicero Venatio wrote:
Shimano has ceased all production, which will mean shortages. If some of
their production line gets radiated it could be catastrophe.

Most likely a temporary blip.

Their newer higher volume plants are not in Japan.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 18th 11, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jay

On Mar 15, 7:59*pm, Cicero Venatio wrote:
Shimano has ceased all production, which will mean shortages. *If some
of their production line gets radiated it could be catastrophe.

No Shimano parts could be "radiated"! Unless their production takes
place inside the core of a nuclear reactor. It takes neutrons or
incredibly hi energy particles (such as @ SLAC where Jobst & I both
worked @ different times) to make material radioactive. No neutron
emitting materials are escaping the Japanese Nuks.
Worst case scenario & the very worst, is that there could be low
level radioactive dust
(or more correctly; contamination) on the surface of parts, which
could easily be dusted off.
The far greater threat to Shimano production is the lack of
electricity.
I wore a film badge (later to be called a TLD) off & on for ~ 12yrs.
My running joke was that the greatest danger I faced was dropping a
led brick or spent uranium shielding on my foot. Really there were
many many more magnitudes of accidents from the work of shielding
radiation than from the radiation itself.
I will wager that numerous rumors will circulate in the next few years
that Shimano parts are radiative, much to the dismay of of their
competitors. JD