I can't find this item...

Old March 16th 11, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Cicero Venatio

Default I can't find this item...

There are no handlebar mounted geiger counters, or computers that have
geiger counter function in them. Riding through hot zones in the
western USA could be a problem. A bike mounted geiger counter could
have a beeper on it, when entering a hot zone, and then you could seek
shelter. Remember you can't see radioactivity, so how would you know.
Old March 16th 11, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Mar 16, 8:41*am, Cicero Venatio wrote:

... and then you could seek shelter.

"Duck and Cover?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_and_cover

DR

Old March 16th 11, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcus Coles

http://www.inmed.com.au/radiation-detection.html

Their Xtreme Dashmount has a handlebar mount option.

Old March 16th 11, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

toxic insect chemicals everywhere.
Old March 16th 11, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 3/16/2011 9:41 AM, Cicero Venatio wrote:
There are no handlebar mounted geiger counters, or computers that have
geiger counter function in them. Riding through hot zones in the western
USA could be a problem. A bike mounted geiger counter could have a
beeper on it, when entering a hot zone, and then you could seek shelter.
Remember you can't see radioactivity, so how would you know.

You can buy working 1960's-era Geiger counters on eBay, get a certified
(sample-tested) one and a pancake probe.

It is my understanding that most* semiconductors will degrade if exposed
to radiation to the point that they will not work properly, or not even
at all. This is why they are not used in radiation-detecting equipment.

{*there's probably some special kind that gets used for satellites, but
they're probably not cheap}
Old March 17th 11, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Cicero Venatio wrote:
There are no handlebar mounted geiger counters, or computers that have
geiger counter function in them. Riding through hot zones in the
western USA could be a problem. A bike mounted geiger counter could
have a beeper on it, when entering a hot zone, and then you could seek
shelter. Remember you can't see radioactivity, so how would you know.

Since I will most probably die with my bicycle under a bus
or a mommyvan, neither that nor this Camel worry me much.

YMMV.

Here you go:
http://www.imagesco.com/geiger/geiger-counter-kits.html
or a simple packet of exposure badges.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 19th 11, 08:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 3/16/2011 9:41 AM, Cicero Venatio wrote:
There are no handlebar mounted geiger counters, or computers that have
geiger counter function in them. Riding through hot zones in the western
USA could be a problem. A bike mounted geiger counter could have a
beeper on it, when entering a hot zone, and then you could seek shelter.
Remember you can't see radioactivity, so how would you know.

FYI,,,,,,,,,,, if you are in the US and curious,
Electronics Goldmine has a few Mueller-tube buzzers & related parts on
sale right now. (I would guess the prices for the old yellow ones on
eBay have gone through the roof)

http://www.goldmine-elec.com/

These are not calibrated (like a proper counter would be) nor are they
radiation-hardened, but you shouldn't need either of that unless you're
in Japan.