Sheffield cyclist calls for better signage

Old January 1st 12, 03:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Sheffield cyclist calls for better signage

QUOTE:

A cyclist who was put in hospital after being knocked down in a crash is
urging for better safety signage to be installed on a busy Sheffield road.

Alan Knott suffered a concussion and injuries to the right of his body,
after a driver turned left straight across him. The incident occurred when
he was riding on the cycle lane on Queen's Road, reports the Star.

Mr Knott told the newspaper: "I still have physiotherapy now after the crash
in November. I have tried to cycle since but I have stopped at the moment
because I can't cope with the traffic."

He went on to request that Sheffield Council erect more signs on Queen's
Road, as they would help to make drivers aware of the space required by
cyclists.

Recently, the Tunbridge Wells People reported that dog walkers in Chase Wood
have condemned new signs in the area because they are "out of keeping" with
the natural environment

http://www.safetysignsupplies.co.uk/...801251955.html

--
Simon Mason

Old January 1st 12, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 01/01/2012 03:25, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:

A cyclist who was put in hospital after being knocked down in a crash is
urging for better safety signage to be installed on a busy Sheffield road.

Alan Knott suffered a concussion and injuries to the right of his body,
after a driver turned left straight across him. The incident occurred
when he was riding on the cycle lane on Queen's Road, reports the Star.

Mr Knott told the newspaper: "I still have physiotherapy now after the
crash in November. I have tried to cycle since but I have stopped at the
moment because I can't cope with the traffic."

He went on to request that Sheffield Council erect more signs on Queen's
Road, as they would help to make drivers aware of the space required by
cyclists.

But why should they bother wasting public money to make up for the
inadequate transport choice of a tiny minority?

University
Old January 1st 12, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 03:25:31 -0000, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

snip

http://www.safetysignsupplies.co.uk/...801251955.html

"Viking Signs" - eh?

No bias there then.

I see from the original report : "He was unable to avoid smashing into the Ford
Focus." - must have been riding too fast then.

I see he has bought himself a car and given up the bike - so some good does
come out of these things.

--
Simple Simon Mason - who cycles at 25mph in 20mph limits just because the limits do not apply to cyclists.
This includes exceeding the speed limit past three schools. A total disregard for the well-being of vulnerable road users.

Old January 1st 12, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly polly

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
[...]

The original article states;

"The driver claimed she had not seen Alan, even though he was wearing
flashing lights, a helmet and bright clothing"

A council spokesman went on to say;

"...However, I urge everyone using Sheffield's roads to stay safe, observe
the Highway Code and look out for others"

I must say I think it's time to introduce a mandatory driving ban and a
compulsory eyesight test whenever a SMIDSY occurs and results in contact/an
accident. SMIDSY is simply unacceptable.

http://www.stop-smidsy.org.uk/

Old January 1st 12, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 11:51:08 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:

the
inadequate transport choice

It is great transport.

of a tiny minority?

It is not illegal to be in a tiny minority.

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old January 2nd 12, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

http://www.safetysignsupplies.co.uk/...ist-calls-for-...

--
Simon Mason

The original article states;

"The driver claimed she had not seen Alan, even though he was wearing
flashing lights, a helmet and bright clothing"

A council spokesman went on to say;

"...However, I urge everyone using Sheffield's roads to stay safe, observe
the Highway Code and look out for others"

I must say I think it's time to introduce a mandatory driving ban and a
compulsory eyesight test whenever a SMIDSY occurs and results in
contact/an
accident. SMIDSY is simply unacceptable.

http://www.stop-smidsy.org.uk/- Hide quoted text -

Totally agree, Jolly.
SMIDSY's are a total cop out and should be punished.

--
Simon Mason

Old January 2nd 12, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Jolly polly wrote:

I must say I think it's time to introduce a mandatory driving ban and
a compulsory eyesight test whenever a SMIDSY occurs and results in
contact/an accident. SMIDSY is simply unacceptable.

http://www.stop-smidsy.org.uk/

I'd agree with that .. How can someone say "SMIDSY" when they are in
the right hand lane at traffic lights and yet still turn left in front
of my Landrover?

How can someone say they didn't see me when they turned right across
the path of my Landrover.

As it happens, it's happened more to me in the Landrover than it has on
the bicycles or motorcycles ..

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"
Old January 18th 12, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Williams

"Jolly polly" writes:

| A cyclist who was put in hospital after being knocked down in a crash
| is urging for better safety signage to be installed on a busy
| Sheffield road.
|
| [...]

I must say I think it's time to introduce a mandatory driving ban and
a compulsory eyesight test whenever a SMIDSY occurs and results in
contact/an accident. SMIDSY is simply unacceptable.

http://www.stop-smidsy.org.uk/

The injured cyclist might not have been the victim of SMIDSY. In any
case, SMIDSY is often just a shorthand for `I did see you, but was
reasonably certain that there would be no consequences for just driving
into you in order to save a few seconds of my time'. Chances are that
extra signs won't help unless they've got some sort of automatic machine
gun attached. Curiously, the places with strict liability insurance
seem to manage without extra signs, SMIDSY excuses or eyesight re-tests
and driving bans...

--
Mark
Old February 2nd 12, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Williams

Phil W Lee writes:

http://www.stop-smidsy.org.uk/

[...]

But if anyone claiming smidsy automatically had their licence
suspended until re-tested as both physically able and competent to
resume driving, I wonder how many of those smidsy's just wouldn't
happen?

It's an interesting question. Presumably those claiming SMIDSY have
already passed at least one test and there is no reason to suppose they
wouldn't readily pass another (the level of ability and competence
required to pass a driving test is very low). So the question basically
boils down to whether the hassle and expense of a short-term suspension
would generate a long-term change of behaviour. I have my doubts.

Another question it raises is; if SMIDSY is no longer seen as a socially
acceptable excuse, then what socially acceptable excuse will be deployed
instead? Last Summer a car drove into my back wheel. The apparently
acceptable excuse in those circumstances was `it was the clutch's
fault' which could probably be modified to suit!

It could, after all, be reasonably interpreted that "sorry mate I
didn't see you" is a self-declaration of inability to meet the minimum
eyesight standard for driving.

Interpreted by whom, though? I bet that by the time any SMIDSY case
makes it to court, the perptretator will deny ever saying such a thing
(or being involved in a crash, etc.) and the victim would be left having
to prove it.

--
Mark

pedestrian lane & other signage recycled[_2_] General 9 July 29th 08 01:34 PM
Cyclist assaulted in Sheffield Simon Geller UK 104 May 6th 06 07:53 PM
Cyclist attcked in Sheffield! John UK 86 December 22nd 05 07:56 PM
More signage - one way streets Peter Fox UK 31 July 8th 05 02:05 PM
Help please: Colorado signage hughw General 12 April 6th 05 07:50 AM