Jan Heine on wheel building

Old March 14th 17, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Jan Heine on wheel building

https://janheine.wordpress.com

Today's blog post is about building strong wheels.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 14th 17, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 7:51:48 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
https://janheine.wordpress.com

Today's blog post is about building strong wheels.

--
- Frank Krygowski

That guy is just such a doof it's impossible to take him seriously even when what he's saying is not incorrect.
Old March 14th 17, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2017-03-14, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 7:51:48 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

https://janheine.wordpress.com

That guy is just such a doof it's impossible to take him seriously
even when what he's saying is not incorrect.

Try. It's good for you.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old March 15th 17, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 9:51:48 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
https://janheine.wordpress.com

Today's blog post is about building strong wheels.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Almost all of it was just simple common sense. Nothing contentious. But this sentence from the article was a bit odd:

"For each of these rim/hub combinations, we now offer spoke packages with the highest-quality, double-butted, superlight Sapim Laser spokes (2.0 – 1.5 – 2.0 mm) and aluminum nipples."

I understand his explanation of detensioning the spokes on every revolution and the thin spokes stretch more to prevent some of the detensioning. But going with $1 a piece Laser spokes of 14/17 gauge instead of the cheaper 50 cents a piece and readily available 15/14 double butted spokes from DT or Sapim. Aluminum nipples? I thought brass was the standard for reliability. Never rounds off or breaks ever.
Old March 15th 17, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017 10:51:45 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

https://janheine.wordpress.com

Today's blog post is about building strong wheels.

He seems to ignore the upper spokes. If the bottom spokes become
unloaded ( looser) then, logically, the top spokes must become more
highly loaded (tighter) :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 15th 17, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/14/2017 7:01 PM, wrote:
[...]

+1
we build with aluminum nipples only after our admonition and
then with reluctance.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 15th 17, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:

https://janheine.wordpress.com

Today's blog post is about building strong wheels.

He seems to ignore the upper spokes. If the bottom spokes become
unloaded ( looser) then, logically, the top spokes must become more
highly loaded (tighter) :-)

Are you -sure- you want to say that on this group?

Old March 15th 17, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

https://janheine.wordpress.com

Today's blog post is about building strong wheels.

He seems to ignore the upper spokes. If the bottom spokes become
unloaded ( looser) then, logically, the top spokes must become more
highly loaded (tighter) :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

It's a bit asymmetrical. If the rim was very "floppy", then only one spoke
at a time on the bottom would be detensioned, but a large number of upper
spokes would share the increase. As the rim gets stiffer and stiffer, then
the detensioning of the lower spokes gets more uniform and smaller. In the
ultimate case of a perfectly stiff rim, then the loss of tension in the
lower spikes would be perfectly and symmetrically compensated by an
increase in tension of the upper spokes. So you can leave less upward
margin in your spoke tension than you have to leave on the downward side.
Old March 15th 17, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:
https://janheine.wordpress.com

Today's blog post is about building strong wheels.

-- - Frank Krygowski

Almost all of it was just simple common sense. Nothing contentious.
But this sentence from the article was a bit odd:

"For each of these rim/hub combinations, we now offer spoke packages
with the highest-quality, double-butted, superlight Sapim Laser
spokes (2.0 – 1.5 – 2.0 mm) and aluminum nipples."

I understand his explanation of detensioning the spokes on every
revolution and the thin spokes stretch more to prevent some of the
detensioning. But going with $1 a piece Laser spokes of 14/17 gauge
instead of the cheaper 50 cents a piece and readily available 15/14
double butted spokes from DT or Sapim. Aluminum nipples? I thought
brass was the standard for reliability. Never rounds off or breaks
ever.

I was wondering about the Al nipples too.

--
JS

Heine on inflation AMuzi Techniques 70 April 19th 16 12:12 AM
Jan Heine on headlights Frank Krygowski[_2_] Techniques 2 September 29th 13 01:46 AM
Kickin a little (Jan) Heine ceecee Techniques 1 July 2nd 10 03:00 PM
WHEEL BUILDING 273 datakoll Techniques 2 January 11th 08 09:54 AM
Building a BC Wheel - Help! galvin.ben Unicycling 14 July 30th 07 03:06 AM