Extra-Large Toe Clips ?

Old May 21st 11, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default Extra-Large Toe Clips ?

Pete Cresswell wrote:

My size fifteens have been getting away from me lately. * One
more close encounter with the top tube or the saddle horn and I
think my voice is gonna start changing.
[...]
I'm thinking it might be a logical trekking accessory - or does
everybody just use clipless or do without?

Consider half clips. Those can be spaced away from the pedal body
(with stacks of washers or standoffs) if you need more depth. They'll
keep your feet from going astray without rewarding poor pedaling form
by carrying your feet along.

Chalo
Old May 22nd 11, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 20 May 2011 15:05:22 -0400, Duane Hebert
wrote:

There are some suggestions below but out of curiosity, why not use
clipless pedals?

They don't work with walking shoes.

Which is why I'm still using slot cleats -- it's essential that I
change into walking shoes when I'm riding inside city limits, and
changing pedals is much harder than changing shoes.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old May 22nd 11, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

wrote:

There are some suggestions below but out of curiosity, why not use
clipless pedals?

They don't work with walking shoes.

Which is why I'm still using slot cleats -- it's essential that I
change into walking shoes when I'm riding inside city limits, and
changing pedals is much harder than changing shoes.

I use SPD pedals and Shimano MO75 shoes.
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-...17_144crx.aspx

The shoes have recessed cleats that you can walk in.
I used to use toe clips but for them to be effective they have to be
tight and getting out of them quickly was problematic.

Old May 22nd 11, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Duane Hebert wrote:

Joy Beeson wrote:

Duane Hebert wrote:

There are some suggestions below but out of curiosity, why not use
clipless pedals?

They don't work with walking shoes.

Which is why I'm still using slot cleats -- it's essential that I
change into walking shoes when I'm riding inside city limits, and
changing pedals is much harder than changing shoes.

I use SPD pedals and Shimano MO75 shoes.http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-...s/shimano/sh-m...

The shoes have recessed cleats that you can walk in.

When I used clipless, I used "walkable" shoes. But they're not
walking shoes; they are just something you can walk on.

I used to use toe clips but for them to be effective they have to be
tight and getting out of them quickly was problematic.

I think "effective" in Pete's case is about keeping feet in position,
which doesn't even require straps, let alone tight straps. Why
encumber your feet for how you ride 99% of the time (not pulling) for
the sake of how you ride 1% of the time (pulling up on pedals)?

Using no foot restraints promotes good form and gives you instant
feedback for how much you're unloading the rising leg. Using bindings
lets you be in denial about fighting your legs one against the other,
or whether you actually lift your leg over or only believe you lift
your leg over. Just right for the triathlon/charity-ride tyro who
won't take the time to build good form anyway; not so good for the
daily rider.

Chalo

Old May 22nd 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 5/22/2011 10:02 AM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:
Duane Hebert wrote:

Joy Beeson wrote:

Duane Hebert wrote:

[...]

If you wish to avoid wearing proper cycling shoes for shorter trips,
heel slings are an option:
http://www.bentrideronline.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/right-pad-detail.jpg.

Using no foot restraints promotes good form and gives you instant
feedback for how much you're unloading the rising leg. Using bindings
lets you be in denial about fighting your legs one against the other,
or whether you actually lift your leg over or only believe you lift
your leg over. Just right for the triathlon/charity-ride tyro who
won't take the time to build good form anyway; not so good for the
daily rider.

We had a long discussion on the subject a while back; enjoy reading all
550 posts:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/browse_frm/thread/1cb202dcec87725/5ad606db0f764f7c?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=power+cranks#5ad6 06db0f764f7c.

See also: http://www.powercranks.com/.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old May 22nd 11, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 22, 10:02*am, Chalo wrote:
Duane Hebert wrote:

Joy Beeson wrote:

Duane Hebert wrote:

[...]

Depends. Yesterday morning I was out for one of those rides where you
go rather fast on purpose. SPuDs are nice for simplifying foot
placement, and especially nice on a single speed bike and a high
cadence.

In the afternoon, I rode fifteen miles to talk to a man about a fish.
In serious traffic. In that case, Teva sandals and big honkin' bmx
pedals were perfect.
Old May 22nd 11, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Chalo:
I think "effective" in Pete's case is about keeping feet in position,
which doesn't even require straps, let alone tight straps.

Yes on the first, no on the second.

The feet tend to go off the sides of the pedal. Part of it is
not having much feeling down there, but part of it is probably an
exaggerated Q factor. Normal pedaling, BMX flats, no straps...
every time I look down the feet have placed themselves about an
inch outboard of center on the pedal. Yeah, I move them in...
but left to their own they migrate right back...

I think it's analogous to my saddle placement theory: one's butt
just finds the right spot and the saddle needs tb moved to that
spot.

But extending the Q factor seems problematic to me. I've heard
from people who swear by those 1" extenders that go between crank
and pedal - but mechanically it just doesn't look right to me.
Also I'm heavy at about 220#. Having broken a chain under load
once, I don't want the chance of a pedal shearing off when I'm
lunging up a hill. So that leaves constraining the feet to
something approximating being centered on the pedal....

The kludge I showed in the pix actually works. The straps are
kept quite loose bc that's all it takes to keep the feet from
wandering - and it's easier to get in/out of them.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 22nd 11, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

On 5/22/2011 1:08 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Chalo:
[...]

In my first reply in this thread I asked why not use clipless pedals.
Must have missed this
answer.

Old May 22nd 11, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 22, 1:08*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

The kludge I showed in the pix actually works. * The straps are
kept quite loose bc that's all it takes to keep the feet from
wandering - and it's easier to get in/out of them.

FWIW, I like your kludge. I kind of doubt you'll find anything much
better.

You mentioned your tendency to use a large Q factor. If you have
problems with your foot sliding sideways off the outside, you might
fix that with another kludge - a sort of metal tab extending outward
and upward, kind of like the upward projection on an old-style quill
pedal.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/i...-syl-road.jpeg

BTW, it's not kludging. It's customizing! Be proud of your
ingenuity.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 22nd 11, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

On 5/22/2011 11:02 AM, Chalo wrote:
Duane Hebert wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote:
Duane Hebert wrote:
There are some suggestions below but out of curiosity, why not use
clipless pedals?
They don't work with walking shoes.

Which is why I'm still using slot cleats -- it's essential that I
change into walking shoes when I'm riding inside city limits, and
changing pedals is much harder than changing shoes.

I use SPD pedals and Shimano MO75 shoes.http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-...s/shimano/sh-m...

The shoes have recessed cleats that you can walk in.

When I used clipless, I used "walkable" shoes. But they're not
walking shoes; they are just something you can walk on.

Sure.

I used to use toe clips but for them to be effective they have to be
tight and getting out of them quickly was problematic.

I think "effective" in Pete's case is about keeping feet in position,
which doesn't even require straps, let alone tight straps. Why
encumber your feet for how you ride 99% of the time (not pulling) for
the sake of how you ride 1% of the time (pulling up on pedals)?

Yeah I missed that part.

Using no foot restraints promotes good form and gives you instant
feedback for how much you're unloading the rising leg. Using bindings
lets you be in denial about fighting your legs one against the other,
or whether you actually lift your leg over or only believe you lift
your leg over. Just right for the triathlon/charity-ride tyro who
won't take the time to build good form anyway; not so good for the
daily rider.

I'm pretty much a daily rider though not all my rides are commutes. I
think we differ on what denotes good form.

CX clips Susan Walker Racing 5 February 1st 09 03:35 AM
Help me commit the mortal sin of using large-large Reid Priedhorsky General 11 May 13th 07 05:22 AM
a few clips... uniryder Unicycling 8 August 11th 05 08:37 PM
Extra extra large waterproof wanted Steph Peters UK 22 July 4th 04 09:05 PM
Extra Large SPD compatible shoes John Morey Mountain Biking 4 July 27th 03 04:29 PM