Giga X Pipe: Torque Wrench?

Old June 21st 11, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Giga X Pipe: Torque Wrench?

I'm troubleshooting a squeak/creak that seems tb coming from
somewhere in the vicinity of the BB.

I want to tighten up the collars, but fear stripping the threads.

Can't remember how I tightened them in the 1st place, but it was
probably with a strap wrench, a hope, and a prayer.

ref: http://www.bike-discount.de/pdf/products/490.pdf

Step 1 "Torque to 34-41 Nm"

Does anybody actually get a torque wrench on these things?

If so, how you do dat?
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 21st 11, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Jun 21, 8:19*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
I'm troubleshooting a squeak/creak that seems tb coming from
somewhere in the vicinity of the BB.

I want to tighten up the collars, but fear stripping the threads.

Can't remember how I tightened them in the 1st place, but it was
probably with a strap wrench, a hope, and a prayer.

ref:http://www.bike-discount.de/pdf/products/490.pdf

Step 1 "Torque to 34-41 Nm"

Does anybody actually get a torque wrench on these things?

If so, how you do dat?
--
PeteCresswell

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/tor...Terms-_-Torque
Wrench-_-Torque Wrench Accessories

let it squeek let it squeek let it squeek......maybe it'll go away
prob get worse n fallof. eyeyahhahhah...

you could go with Campy.....

snug plus is prob good enough unless a large crowd or the factory sez
more or less.

an online search using optimized wording should bring an answer from
the crowd.

each time I look from curiosity, I find a large group of hand wringers
seeing cracks in their futures
Old June 21st 11, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 21-6-2011 17:19, (PeteCresswell) schreef:
I'm troubleshooting a squeak/creak that seems tb coming from
somewhere in the vicinity of the BB.

I want to tighten up the collars, but fear stripping the threads.

Can't remember how I tightened them in the 1st place, but it was
probably with a strap wrench, a hope, and a prayer.

ref: http://www.bike-discount.de/pdf/products/490.pdf

Step 1 "Torque to 34-41 Nm"

Does anybody actually get a torque wrench on these things?

If so, how you do dat?

https://picasaweb.google.com/LoetjeH/Bouw_Morati#5620749067471023266

http://www.rose.nl/artikel/cyclus-demontagetool-voor-campagnolo-ultra-torque-lagercups/aid:193426

Lou
Old June 21st 11, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jun 21, 4:19*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
I'm troubleshooting a squeak/creak that seems tb coming from
somewhere in the vicinity of the BB.

I want to tighten up the collars, but fear stripping the threads.

Can't remember how I tightened them in the 1st place, but it was
probably with a strap wrench, a hope, and a prayer.

ref:http://www.bike-discount.de/pdf/products/490.pdf

Step 1 "Torque to 34-41 Nm"

Does anybody actually get a torque wrench on these things?

If so, how you do dat?
--
PeteCresswell

Not yet needed to bother with such an assembly but I would probably
use a metal band strap wrench. Had to get one as an oil filter wrench
as access next to the hot exhaust was otherwise difficult using other
tools. Work out the distance to the point at which to attach a spring
balance and calculate the pull required. 180N at 200mm is a force I
can reasonably judge without resort to costly measuring devices (a
pocket balance will cost about £4 or so). If you use a short lever,
it's much less likely you will strip the threads, even if you fall
while doing the job. The strap wrench is a good choice as you set the
band tension so a severe overtorque cannot happen, the tool slips
without damaging the component.
I believe there is actually a tool that fits the retainers to enable
a standard square drive toque indicating wrench to be applied. Cyclus
is probably the manufacturer.
Old June 21st 11, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...5l1528l0.6.3l9

BUT A pipe wrench one side welded to the torque.....how would one weld
a to a torque wrench ?
Old June 21st 11, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jay

On Jun 21, 12:55*pm, kolldata wrote:
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...iw=1132&bih=57...

BUT A pipe wrench one side welded to the torque.....how would one weld
a to a torque wrench ?

Use a crows foot w/ torque wrench & do the leverage caluclation. JD
Old June 21st 11, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jun 21, 8:54*pm, thirty-six wrote:
[...]

The Unior product is probably way cheaper.
http://www.cyclelife.com/Product.asp...57&pt=179&pc=2
Old June 22nd 11, 08:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:19:31 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I'm troubleshooting a squeak/creak that seems tb coming from
somewhere in the vicinity of the BB.

I want to tighten up the collars, but fear stripping the threads.

Can't remember how I tightened them in the 1st place, but it was
probably with a strap wrench, a hope, and a prayer.

ref: http://www.bike-discount.de/pdf/products/490.pdf

Step 1 "Torque to 34-41 Nm"

Does anybody actually get a torque wrench on these things?

If so, how you do dat?

34 - 41 Nm equals 25 - 30 Foot pounds - or a force equal to 25 - 30
pounds applied to a 1 foot wrench, or 12.5 - 15 pounds on a 2 ft
wrench.

If you can't estimate it, hang the bike up, put the wrench on the BB,
measure off 1 ft and tie a bucket to it and pour 11.5 liters of water
in the bucket.

Old June 22nd 11, 08:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_3_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I'm troubleshooting a squeak/creak that seems tb coming from
somewhere in the vicinity of the BB.

I want to tighten up the collars, but fear stripping the threads.

Can't remember how I tightened them in the 1st place, but it was
probably with a strap wrench, a hope, and a prayer.

ref: http://www.bike-discount.de/pdf/products/490.pdf

Step 1 "Torque to 34-41 Nm"

Does anybody actually get a torque wrench on these things?

If so, how you do dat?

Sadly, this is one of those times when you need the right tool.
This one looks good, has a half inch square for a torque wrench and comes from
not too far away from you.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=26744
Personally, I use one that looks like this Park tool except mine was branded
Lifu and cost half as much.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=4062
No provison on this one for a torque wrench. However, I know that 30ft/lbs is
pretty damn tight or about 1 1/2 grunts.
I had a squeak from external cup BB assembly that went away when I faced and
chased the bottom bracket shell (never been done when new) and reinstalled the
cups.
PH

Old June 22nd 11, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Anne Onime:
the torque wrench snaps right into the bb tool:

http://www.parktool.com/product/bott...et-tool-bbt-19

Bingo.

Thanks!
--
PeteCresswell

Giga X Pipe vs Mega Exo vs ? Ron Ruff Techniques 14 December 9th 05 11:04 AM
Just a thought - Shimano Hollowtech II, Race Face® X-type, FSA® Mega EXO, Truvativ Giga X Pipe............. Wasatch5k Techniques 2 April 21st 05 10:21 AM
Torque wrench cc Mountain Biking 10 February 25th 05 04:01 AM
Torque Wrench? Wasatch5k Techniques 16 February 20th 05 04:20 AM
Torque wrench for BBs Paul Davis UK 12 August 11th 04 12:12 AM