Shoes and Cleats

Old August 2nd 04, 03:02 PM
Roger Zoul

Default Shoes and Cleats

I'm trying to order a pair of cycling sandals that use SPD cleats.

Is it typical for shoes that work with clipless pedals to come with cleats?
The pair on Nashbar state that they don't come with cleats, but the pair at
Performance don't state if they do or not. I'm surprised to find that
cleats cost around $20. I was not expecting that as my LBS gave me a pair
free to go with the shoes I bought from them (or, maybe the cleats were
included in the price, but as it was some time before I actually went
clipless they just gave them to me then).

Can I be sure that if I buy SPD cleats that will will work with my Shimano
SPD clipless pedals that came with my Specialized Sequoia?

Old August 2nd 04, 03:11 PM
Bob in CT

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:02:55 -0400, Roger Zoul
wrote:

I'm trying to order a pair of cycling sandals that use SPD cleats.

Is it typical for shoes that work with clipless pedals to come with
cleats?
The pair on Nashbar state that they don't come with cleats, but the pair
at
Performance don't state if they do or not. I'm surprised to find that
cleats cost around $20. I was not expecting that as my LBS gave me a
pair
free to go with the shoes I bought from them (or, maybe the cleats were
included in the price, but as it was some time before I actually went
clipless they just gave them to me then).

Can I be sure that if I buy SPD cleats that will will work with my
Shimano
SPD clipless pedals that came with my Specialized Sequoia?

SPD cleats have been the same for some while now. So, they should fit.
Cleats are expensive, relatively speaking. The cleats for my peddles cost
$40, and I've had to replace them yearly. Are you really going to cycle a
while in sandals?

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Old August 2nd 04, 03:15 PM
Terry Morse

Roger Zoul wrote:

Is it typical for shoes that work with clipless pedals to come with cleats?

No, cleats usually don't come with shoes. They are included with
pedals.

Can I be sure that if I buy SPD cleats that will will work with my Shimano
SPD clipless pedals that came with my Specialized Sequoia?

If you have Shimano brand pedals, get the Shimano brand cleats. The
SPD clone cleats (Wellgo, typically) don't work as well with Shimano
pedals.
Old August 2nd 04, 03:23 PM
Roger Zoul

Bob in CT wrote:
:: On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:02:55 -0400, Roger Zoul
:: wrote:
::
::: I'm trying to order a pair of cycling sandals that use SPD cleats.
:::
[...]

Okay....that must be a loaded question....I think I'm going to cycle while
in sandals...is there a reason NOT to do that? The reason I want to is that
at about 60 miles on a hot day, my feet give me hell. My shoes have just
enough play in them to let my foot slip around, so after the miles build up
my feet hurt. Frankly, I had to cut my ride short yesterday just because of
this...so sandals seem like a good option since my toes would be free....

::
:: --
:: Bob in CT
:: Remove ".x" to reply

Old August 2nd 04, 03:40 PM
Bob in CT

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:23:03 -0400, Roger Zoul
wrote:

Bob in CT wrote:
:: On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:02:55 -0400, Roger Zoul
:: wrote:
::
[...]

Let me know how it goes. I'd mentally be freaking out ("No covering over
my toes?"), but it might very well work. Are they stiff, though?

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Old August 2nd 04, 03:49 PM
Roger Zoul

Bob in CT wrote:
:: On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:23:03 -0400, Roger Zoul
:: wrote:
::
::: Bob in CT wrote:
::::: On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:02:55 -0400, Roger Zoul
::::: wrote:
:::::
:::::: I'm trying to order a pair of cycling sandals that use SPD
:::::: cleats.
::::::
[...]

Well, I don't know, but they are sold for cycling and hence I'd expect them
to be. Nashbar had the Lake version and Performance had the Shimano
version.

I have similar issue about not covering my toes, but it's either pain or
comfort, as I see it. My butt and my feet are the limiting factors for me
on long rides.

::
:: --
:: Bob in CT
:: Remove ".x" to reply

Old August 2nd 04, 04:41 PM
S o r n i

Roger Zoul wrote:
I'm trying to order a pair of cycling sandals that use SPD cleats.

Is it typical for shoes that work with clipless pedals to come with
cleats? The pair on Nashbar state that they don't come with cleats,
but the pair at Performance don't state if they do or not. I'm
surprised to find that cleats cost around $20. I was not expecting
that as my LBS gave me a pair free to go with the shoes I bought from
them (or, maybe the cleats were included in the price, but as it was
some time before I actually went clipless they just gave them to me
then).

Can I be sure that if I buy SPD cleats that will will work with my
Shimano SPD clipless pedals that came with my Specialized Sequoia?

No, shoes do NOT come with cleats. Best bet is to find some SPD cleats on
sale somewhere and stock up.

While it might be cool (literally) to ride in sandals now and then, I really
wonder about your intended use (having read your other post{s}). Just
because the shoes you have now don't fit properly, doesn't mean you should
avoid all shoes!

I, for one, wouldn't feel too comfortable doing lengthy rides in sandals.
All it takes is /one crash/...

Bill "modify current shoes, or buy some new ones that actually fit your
feet" S.

Old August 2nd 04, 05:57 PM
Badger_South

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:49:34 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

Well, I don't know, but they are sold for cycling and hence I'd expect them
to be. Nashbar had the Lake version and Performance had the Shimano
version.

I have similar issue about not covering my toes, but it's either pain or
comfort, as I see it. My butt and my feet are the limiting factors for me
on long rides.

What about just getting better fitting cycling shoes? If your foot is
sliding around, then that's the fault of the shoe fit and not the fault of
either the shoe, or your foot. That's not to say a different 'model' of
shoe might solve it, with better airflow or something.

IOW, if you had an ingrown toenail and your toe -hurt-, then maybe sandals.
But to get sandals just b/c the shoe is too hot or not fitting seems like
avoiding the problem, rather than solving it.

Eventually, in the winter, when it cools down, you're gonna want shoes that
fit, right?

Don't mean to be pedantic, just thinking aloud. ;-)

Also, again thinking aloud, what about stopping and changing your socks at
the 1/2 way point? It might be you need a different type of sock -
something thinner, and more wicking?

Good luck!

-B

Old August 2nd 04, 06:10 PM
the black rose

S o r n i wrote:
Roger Zoul wrote:

[...]

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I didn't want to say anything
because I'm the exact opposite of an expert. Still, it sounds to me as
if his shoes are too big in some dimension or other -- too wide, too
long, or too deep.

My cycling shoes are *much* more snug than shoes I would want to walk
in; my big toe presses very lightly against the shoe. But that seems to
work well for me, because I get on the bike and forget about my feet.
If my feet slid back and forth inside the shoe, it would drive me nuts
too, and probably make my toes pretty sore (my left big toe is currently
injured, so the thought makes me wince).

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old August 2nd 04, 06:16 PM
foldedpath

"Roger Zoul" wrote in
:

Bob in CT wrote:

:: Are you
:: really going to cycle a while in sandals?

Okay....that must be a loaded question....I think I'm going to cycle
while in sandals...is there a reason NOT to do that? The reason I
want to is that at about 60 miles on a hot day, my feet give me hell.
My shoes have just enough play in them to let my foot slip around, so
after the miles build up my feet hurt. Frankly, I had to cut my ride
short yesterday just because of this...so sandals seem like a good
option since my toes would be free....

I've cycled in sandals for years (Shimano sandals, SPD pedals). No
problems so far.

The size I use (47-48) is a tiny bit large on me, which isn't a problem
because I can cinch down the straps tight enough, and it also leaves
about 3/4" of sole continuing out beyond my toes. That's enough to
protect my toes if I get a wheel overlap, or if I have to dab the
ground. I wouldn't recommend getting a size where your toes are exposed
right at the end of the sandal.

The sole of the Shimano sandal is fairly stiff (with a rocker in the
tread so you can walk easily), but the straps are a little more flexible
than using full clipless road or MTB shoes. So it feels a little less
efficient when riding. I use my general-purpose clipless shoes when I'm
riding any real distance, and use the sandals for shorter rides...
usually no more than 10-20 miles. Maybe other sandals are stiffer? I'm
not sure I'd really want that anyway... the whole idea is to be
comfortable, and for shorter rides the sandals are great. I thought I'd
mention that, since you say your current problem is your foot moving
around too much. It might move even more in sandals. OTOH, if it's a
friction problem in the toe area, then maybe exposing the toes would be
just what you need.

--
Mike Barrs