DuraAce 8-spd Compatability

Old September 9th 04, 02:40 AM
Scott MacMillin

Default DuraAce 8-spd Compatability

Would a DA 8-speed STI rear shifter be compatable with an Ultegra 600
der and cassette? Thanx in advance.

Scott
Old September 9th 04, 03:58 AM
Sheldon Brown

Scott MacMillin wrote:

Would a DA 8-speed STI rear shifter be compatable with an Ultegra 600
der and cassette? Thanx in advance.

It's compatible with any 8-speed cassette, but not designed to work with
anything but a 1996 or earlier Dura-Ace rear derailer.

However, there's an alternate cable routing trick that will let it work
with most Shimano derailers, see:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html#alternate

It's not clear why you're asking. If you already own these brifters,
might as well go ahead and use them.

However, if you're considering buying them, I'd advise against it unless
they're VERY cheap, you'd be better off with something more modern, even
from a much less prestigious model line, like Sora, my favorite
Shimano brifters.

Sheldon "Or Campagnolo..." Brown
| It is good to learn from your mistakes; |
| It is better to learn from the mistakes of others. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old September 9th 04, 09:28 AM
Tuschinski

Sheldon Brown Wrote:
Scott MacMillin wrote:

[...]

why Sora? My experience is that Sora front brifter is pretty finnick
as it has less "fudge"possibilities

--
Tuschinski