The relative danger of disabled cyclists on railway platforms.

Old October 16th 09, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default The relative danger of disabled cyclists on railway platforms.

During discussions here on disabled cyclists and the way they are
discriminated against, particularly at railway stations, the questions
arose about the danger of other platform goers. Here is one example of
how dangerous an out-of-control pram could be. What if it had also
struck a passenger waiting at the platform's edge? Should prams on
platforms be similarly banned as disabled cyclists are?

"Baby's astonishing escape after he is run over by train

A six-month-old baby boy has escaped with just a bump on the head
after he and his pram were run over by a train.

Astonishing video footage shows the pram rolling off the edge of a
station platform before it is struck and run over by the 250-ton
vehicle.

The child's mother can be seen making a frantic grab for the buggy as
it accelerates towards the track at the suburban railway station in
Melbourne..."

Read mo
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...#ixzz0U64LLYFP

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old October 16th 09, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Read mohttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...73/Melbourne-b...

--
UK Radical Campaignswww.zing.icom43.net
One man's democracy is another man's regime.

Some would say there is no easily seen link between a suicidal baby
and cycling.

Chapeau Doug.
Old October 16th 09, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike P[_6_]

On 16 Oct, 12:24, Doug wrote:
During discussions here on disabled cyclists and the way they are
discriminated against, particularly at railway stations, the questions
arose about the danger of other platform goers. Here is one example of
how dangerous an out-of-control pram could be.

So, not very dangerous at all then Doug?

What if it had also struck a passenger waiting at the platform's edge?

The pram would have stopped.

Should prams on
platforms be similarly banned as disabled cyclists are?

Say the average male weighs 75kgs, add 10kgs of bike and accessories
to that.

Does a pram weigh 85kgs Doug? Does it travel at 4-10mph just to keep
upright?

Our entire "travel system" including the car seat part weighs 12kgs.
It only travels at more than walking pace if I run with the damn
thing, which is never.

You're insane

Mike P
Old October 16th 09, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 16 Oct, 12:59, Mike P wrote:
On 16 Oct, 12:24, Doug wrote:

During discussions here on disabled cyclists and the way they are
discriminated against, particularly at railway stations, the questions
arose about the danger of other platform goers. Here is one example of
how dangerous an out-of-control pram could be.

So, not very dangerous at all then Doug?

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

What if it had also struck a passenger waiting at the platform's edge?

The pram would have stopped.

It doesn't take much to tip a person off balance.

*Should prams on

platforms be similarly banned as disabled cyclists are?

Say the average male weighs 75kgs, add 10kgs of bike and accessories
to that.

Does a pram weigh 85kgs Doug? Does it travel at 4-10mph just to keep
upright?

Some prams are quite big and heavy. Have you never seen a cyclist
balancing while not moving forward at all? It is very easy to ride a
bike at walking pace.

Our entire "travel system" including the car seat part weighs 12kgs.
It only travels at more than walking pace if I run with the damn
thing, which is never.

You're insane

What are you on about?

I still maintain that disabled cyclists are discriminated against
compared to other railway and pavement users.

Old October 16th 09, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike P[_5_]

On 16 Oct, 15:58, Doug wrote:
On 16 Oct, 12:59, Mike P wrote: On 16 Oct, 12:24, Doug wrote:

During discussions here on disabled cyclists and the way they are
discriminated against, particularly at railway stations, the questions
arose about the danger of other platform goers. Here is one example of
how dangerous an out-of-control pram could be.

So, not very dangerous at all then Doug?

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

By living in the real world Doug, you should try it sometime. I've had
3 kids, various models of pram and pushchair, and apart from a Silver
Cross pram, shoved at *speed*, I can't see how any of them would knock
a person over. Certainley not at railway platform walking speed. As
traditional prams like Silver Cross ones are as rare as hens teeth, I
really don't see a problem.

What if it had also struck a passenger waiting at the platform's edge?

The pram would have stopped.

It doesn't take much to tip a person off balance.

It takes more than the weight of a modern pram travelling at walking
pace.

*Should prams on

platforms be similarly banned as disabled cyclists are?

Say the average male weighs 75kgs, add 10kgs of bike and accessories
to that.

Does a pram weigh 85kgs Doug? Does it travel at 4-10mph just to keep
upright?

Some prams are quite big and heavy.

Not 85kgs heavy they are not. They're not going to weigh more than
20kgs all in...

Have you never seen a cyclist balancing while not moving forward at all?

Yes, I can do it myself. It's not something I'd do on a railway
platform, that would be an inconsiderate ****s trick.

It is very easy to ride a bike at walking pace.

Not on a crowded railway platform it's not. That would be an
inconsiderate ****s trick. Dangerous too

Our entire "travel system" including the car seat part weighs 12kgs.
It only travels at more than walking pace if I run with the damn
thing, which is never.

You're insane

What are you on about?

You. You are a nutter with this disabled cyclists on railway
platforms and in supermarkets crap. If you're that disabled, get a
****ing chair, or use one of the electric trolleys that most
supermarkets provide for disabled shoppers. I don't know any sane
person who would let anyone, disabled or, not cycle down a railway
platform or in a supermarket. I suppose you'd complain about the
train squashing the disabled cyclist who couldn't stop on a slippery
wet platform too..

I still maintain that disabled cyclists are discriminated against
compared to other railway and pavement users.

They're not.

Mike P

Old October 16th 09, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Doug wrote:
[...]

A link was provided a short while ago showing a cyclist riding off a
railway platform, why did you not comment on that?

--

Tony Dragon
Old October 16th 09, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Doug wrote:
On 16 Oct, 12:59, Mike P wrote:
On 16 Oct, 12:24, Doug wrote:

During discussions here on disabled cyclists and the way they are
discriminated against, particularly at railway stations, the questions
arose about the danger of other platform goers. Here is one example of
how dangerous an out-of-control pram could be.

So, not very dangerous at all then Doug?

How do you arrive at that conclusion?
What if it had also struck a passenger waiting at the platform's edge?

The pram would have stopped.

It doesn't take much to tip a person off balance.

So a much heavier cycle would do it a lot easier.

Should prams on

platforms be similarly banned as disabled cyclists are?

Say the average male weighs 75kgs, add 10kgs of bike and accessories
to that.

Does a pram weigh 85kgs Doug? Does it travel at 4-10mph just to keep
upright?

Some prams are quite big and heavy. Have you never seen a cyclist
balancing while not moving forward at all? It is very easy to ride a
bike at walking pace.

Are you suggesting that a disabled cyclist who wishes to remain
stationary balances on his bike?

Our entire "travel system" including the car seat part weighs 12kgs.
It only travels at more than walking pace if I run with the damn
thing, which is never.

You're insane

What are you on about?

He is commenting on the state of your mental health.

Old October 16th 09, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Mike P wrote:
On 16 Oct, 15:58, Doug wrote:
[...]

I beg to differ, disabled cyclists are discriminated against on railway
platforms, well in fact all cyclists are discriminated against on
railway platforms, with good reason.

--

Tony Dragon
Old October 16th 09, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike P[_5_]

On 16 Oct, 17:23, Tony Dragon wrote:
Mike P wrote:
On 16 Oct, 15:58, Doug wrote:
[...]

Is keeping them and everyone else safe the same as discrimination?

Mike P

Old October 16th 09, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Sales[_2_]

"Mike P" wrote
[...]

As I explained below, in the thread about disabled cycling, I used to be
unable to walk more than a few yards, even with a stick, but could manage
CTC club runs. I would also have been fully in control of my bike at any
speed down to zero. Being allowed to cycle on platforms, especially longer
ones, and in pedestrian areas would have made my life rather easier. I won't
detail how I would have reacted to someone making your thoughtless remark
"get a ****ing chair". You have not thought things through. I would not
want to depend on a supermarket or railway station providing a chair in
order to travel, or shop. E.g. The disabled parking spaces at my local Tesco
are almost always full. If they can't manage to provide enough parking
spaces, do you think they would be up to speed on wheelchair provision?
Freedom and independence are valued by the disabled too.
With some efffort and imagination help for the cycling disabled could
free many more people. Cycling in unusual places is just the start. High
tech wheelchairs tailored to disability do exist. Some are handcranked,
would they suit a platform? An idea which has just occurred to me is that
supermarket trolleys could be made which dock with a bike or trike like the
ones which accomodate wheelchairs. Perhaps not one of my best.
I would not say we are discriminated against, not conciously. We just
have to exist in a world increasingly designed for motorists, like all
cyclists. Ignorance can make things harder though. I never rode on railway
platforms, I didn't want to be called "an inconsiderate ****."

Mike Sales

Are women cyclists in more danger than men cyclists? Claude[_3_] Australia 2 October 23rd 09 08:24 PM
Disabled cyclists. Doug[_3_] UK 210 October 19th 09 08:35 AM
Disabled cycling at the Olympics but not on railway platforms wherewheelchairs are allowed. Doug[_3_] UK 41 September 23rd 09 07:32 AM
Why aren't disabled cyclists treated the same as disabled motorists? Doug[_3_] UK 67 June 15th 08 05:54 PM
Cyclists and railway crossings Shuggie UK 26 August 29th 05 03:26 PM