A Sustrans dilemma

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 5th 05, 09:42 PM
Mike Causer

Default A Sustrans dilemma

This coming weekend Sustrans celebrates "opening" 10,000 miles of cycle
routes in the first 10 years of their existence. As part of the
celebrations there are four rides organised to Cambridge and subsequently
a ride from Cambridge to Preston (Lancs). One of these rides passes
within 100 metres of my house so it would seem churlish not to join them.

However the Sustrans route is carefully chosen to include the nastiest
junction and the most horrible road in the village in which I live
(which is easily bypassed on a quiet road). It then progresses through
four "Cyclists Dismount" signs in exactly one kilometre (5 in 2.5 km).
And they haven't even reached Cambridge yet, where more horrors await.

So, by joining in the ride am I endorsing the stupidities, or is it worth
highlighting the really daft parts by not using them and sticking to the
road?

Mike

Sustrans White Rose Route George Sproat UK 0 August 14th 05 08:27 PM
Guardian article on Sustrans John Hearns UK 2 June 10th 05 01:28 PM
Sustrans website offline? Mike Causer UK 2 January 3rd 05 05:42 PM
Sustrans Rangers. Simon Mason UK 9 October 23rd 03 11:48 PM
Sustrans routes Zog The Undeniable UK 51 September 26th 03 11:08 AM