Guardian article on Sustrans

Old June 9th 05, 10:12 AM
John Hearns

Default Guardian article on Sustrans

I read this on the train yesterday.
Generally a good piece.
http://society.guardian.co.uk/societ...501057,00.html

But I take exception to this:
"Sustrans itself has been criticised by cyclists because just a third of
the network is genuinely car free."

And what section of the cycling community would that be?
On this group, I certainly see more people arguing that we have
an effective national network of cycle paths - called roads.

The article dosn't say it, but one COULD construe this as
saying "Cyclists want to be off the roads at all times"
I know this is NOT what the article says, but the non-cycling
reader could make that interpretation

I do enjoy Sustrans routes. The Thames Path,
and the Glasgow-Irvine and Glasgow-Balloch routes come to mind.
There is a big place for the offroad route.
But my radar comes up when there is talk of a completely separate network.

Old June 9th 05, 10:37 AM
Buck

On 06/09/2005 10:12:47 John Hearns wrote:

But I take exception to this: "Sustrans itself has been criticised by

cyclists because just a third of the network is genuinely car free."

And what section of the cycling community would that be? On this group, I
certainly see more people arguing that we have an effective national
network of cycle paths - called roads.

The article dosn't say it, but one COULD construe this as saying "Cyclists
want to be off the roads at all times" I know this is NOT what the article
says, but the non-cycling reader could make that interpretation

I do enjoy Sustrans routes. The Thames Path, and the Glasgow-Irvine and
Glasgow-Balloch routes come to mind. There is a big place for the offroad
route. But my radar comes up when there is talk of a completely separate
network.

Unfortunately Sustrans are as guilty as anyone in not providing a good
mixture of utility and leisure routes, most of the routes are leisure
biased and often as not have huge gaps in them.

--
Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk
Old June 10th 05, 01:28 PM
bugbear

John Hearns wrote:
I read this on the train yesterday.
Generally a good piece.
http://society.guardian.co.uk/societ...501057,00.html

"...cycling pressure group Sustrans..."

I thought Sustrans took a wider view than this.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/

"Sustrans is a charity that works on practical projects to encourage
people to walk, cycle and use public transport."

BugBear

Guardian Armstrong Article B. Lafferty Racing 2 August 24th 05 04:42 PM
MUni article in the BicyclePaper UniBrier Unicycling 0 June 10th 05 04:52 PM
Turn Six Dollars Into Sixty Thousand Dollars frank General 0 February 5th 04 05:54 PM
Telegraph article David Martin UK 12 January 28th 04 07:15 PM
Another Guardian Article - Tangential to Cycling [Not Responding] UK 23 January 20th 04 10:02 PM