bikes n boats

Old September 7th 05, 01:49 PM
Mike Jones

Default bikes n boats

Ian Hurst (Troyka) wrote:
im a cyclists and would like to find a small cheap boat that i could
realistically tow behind my cycle to rivers and then row off...

the ideal would be a boat my bike would fit in as well as my camping
kit and me.. any ideas?

thanks

I did contemplate this; trouble is you're luggging a canoe around on the
off-chance there's no bridge somewhere.

An inflatable might be an option, but by the time you've blown it up, you'll
be well \\\\ tired.
All-terrain pedalo anyone?

btw you want uk.rec.Cycling, not camping, it's just over there---
oh go on then, I'll do it.

Old September 7th 05, 07:37 PM
Mark van Gorkom

Ian Hurst (Troyka) wrote:
im a cyclists and would like to find a small cheap boat that i could
realistically tow behind my cycle to rivers and then row off...

the ideal would be a boat my bike would fit in as well as my camping
kit and me.. any ideas?

thanks

Off-the-shelf but expensive: http://www.klepper.com/index2.htm +
Brompton +
http://www.radicaldesign.nl/en/produ...s/cyclone.html

Or, if you don't mind a large trailer:
http://www.suncatcher.com/Amphibpg.htm

You may just be able to cram bike and self onto a Barrowboat
http://www.barrowboats.co.uk/barrowboat/barrow6.html but you may have
to scull, not row, her. It'll need a bigger wheel and some kind of
hitch too.

If you leave the bike on shore, the Sevylor trail boat
http://www.sevylor.com/hunting.html (scroll down) is the smallest I
know of, and has a clever pack sack that doubles as a pump.

An inflatable might be an option, but by the time you've blown it up, you'll
be well \\\\ tired.

Collapsibles are better behaved on the water, and often easier to
assemble. The record for a 2 man team and a double Klepper is
something like 4 minutes.

All-terrain pedalo anyone?

http://aqua-cycle.com/photos/index.html

http://www.humanpoweredboats.com/Photos.shtml
Old September 8th 05, 07:35 AM
Alan Braggins

In article , Mike Jones wrote:
Ian Hurst (Troyka) wrote:
im a cyclists and would like to find a small cheap boat that i could
realistically tow behind my cycle to rivers and then row off...

the ideal would be a boat my bike would fit in as well as my camping
kit and me.. any ideas?

thanks

I did contemplate this; trouble is you're luggging a canoe around on the
off-chance there's no bridge somewhere.

An inflatable might be an option, but by the time you've blown it up, you'll
be well \\\\ tired.

http://www.shuttlebike.com is floats that attach to a bike, with a pump
driven off the bicycle wheel to inflate it.
Old September 8th 05, 10:22 AM
Mike Jones

Alan Braggins wrote:
In article , Mike Jones
wrote:
Ian Hurst (Troyka) wrote:
im a cyclists and would like to find a small cheap boat that i could
realistically tow behind my cycle to rivers and then row off...

the ideal would be a boat my bike would fit in as well as my camping
kit and me.. any ideas?

thanks

I did contemplate this; trouble is you're luggging a canoe around on
the off-chance there's no bridge somewhere.

An inflatable might be an option, but by the time you've blown it
up, you'll be well \\\\ tired.

http://www.shuttlebike.com is floats that attach to a bike, with a
pump driven off the bicycle wheel to inflate it.

Cwor! I *like* it!

Old September 8th 05, 10:55 AM
Mike Jones

Mike Jones wrote:
Alan Braggins wrote:
In article , Mike Jones
wrote:
Ian Hurst (Troyka) wrote:
im a cyclists and would like to find a small cheap boat that i
could realistically tow behind my cycle to rivers and then row
off...

the ideal would be a boat my bike would fit in as well as my
camping kit and me.. any ideas?

thanks

I did contemplate this; trouble is you're luggging a canoe around on
the off-chance there's no bridge somewhere.

An inflatable might be an option, but by the time you've blown it
up, you'll be well \\\\ tired.

http://www.shuttlebike.com is floats that attach to a bike, with a
pump driven off the bicycle wheel to inflate it.

Cwor! I *like* it!

Also a catamaran kit from the swiss

http://translate.google.com/translat...26safe% 3Doff

And a refreshingly honest postal address:
Waste dump road 22, Ch-4912 Aarwangen

Old September 8th 05, 11:13 AM
m-gineering

Mike Jones wrote:

Also a catamaran kit from the swiss

http://translate.google.com/translat...26safe% 3Doff

And a refreshingly honest postal address:
Waste dump road 22, Ch-4912 Aarwangen

Are Google translations content-sensitive? A more usual translation
would be Hill road!
--
---
Marten
Old September 8th 05, 05:55 PM
David Reid

Mike Jones's best pigeon dodged hawks and farmers' guns to bring me the
following:
Mike Jones wrote:
Alan Braggins wrote:
In article , Mike Jones
wrote:
Ian Hurst (Troyka) wrote:
im a cyclists and would like to find a small cheap boat that i
could realistically tow behind my cycle to rivers and then row
off...

the ideal would be a boat my bike would fit in as well as my
camping kit and me.. any ideas?

thanks

I did contemplate this; trouble is you're luggging a canoe around on
the off-chance there's no bridge somewhere.

An inflatable might be an option, but by the time you've blown it
up, you'll be well \\\\ tired.

http://www.shuttlebike.com is floats that attach to a bike, with a
pump driven off the bicycle wheel to inflate it.

Cwor! I *like* it!

Also a catamaran kit from the swiss

http://translate.google.com/translat.../www.shuttlebi
ke-trip.ch/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dshuttlebike%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe% 3Doff

Isn't that the same thing?

--
David Reid http://www.disarray.org.uk
If you raise the ceiling four feet, put the fireplace from that wall to
Old September 8th 05, 09:06 PM
Mike Jones

Sorry, http://www.easycat.ch/

Old September 8th 05, 09:28 PM

Mike Jones wrote:
http://www.shuttlebike.com is floats that attach to a bike, with a
pump driven off the bicycle wheel to inflate it.

Cwor! I *like* it!

The basic idea has been invented before. This time they seem to have
solved the long-standing problem of getting some gearing into the
system so that the pedalling effort is not disproportionate (i.e.
tiring and ineffective).

But this is done bz clamping a roller against the back wheel. I'd want
to knowmore about this, in terms of tyre or rim damage.

But it does look like fun.

Old September 8th 05, 09:48 PM
Alan Braggins

In article , Mike Jones wrote:

Alan Braggins wrote:
In article , Mike Jones
wrote:
Ian Hurst (Troyka) wrote:
im a cyclists and would like to find a small cheap boat that i could
realistically tow behind my cycle to rivers and then row off...

the ideal would be a boat my bike would fit in as well as my camping
kit and me.. any ideas?

thanks

I did contemplate this; trouble is you're luggging a canoe around on
the off-chance there's no bridge somewhere.

An inflatable might be an option, but by the time you've blown it
up, you'll be well \\\\ tired.

http://www.shuttlebike.com is floats that attach to a bike, with a
pump driven off the bicycle wheel to inflate it.

Cwor! I *like* it!

It looks fun, which I why I mentioned it, but I have little doubt the
Klepper/Brompton scheme Mark suggested would be more seaworthy. Or
even more riverworthy.

One of these folding dinghies: http://www.seahopper.co.uk/
might work with a suitable bike trailer.

Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
Design News article about bikes [email protected] Techniques 8 January 14th 05 02:07 PM
Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM