A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Rigid fork dilemma



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 21st 04, 03:08 PM
Chris Davies
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Rigid fork dilemma

Hello everyone.

I have sold all of my bikes except for my new tourer and one MTB which I
am going to keep in my room.
I originally had 3 MTBs - a Giant Track (mid 90's, very good quality but
unfashionable), a Ridgeback Switch (an MTB with rigid forks, already
regretting letting it go) and a Ridgeback MX95 (the only one I have left,
now wish I had parted with it instead of the Switch).
Much as I like the one I have I find I am really missing the Switch. I
can't get it back, but I have decided I want to get rigid forks on the
bike I have - to hell with what other riders think, I can see how lots of
people like suspension but I don't want it.
So my question is this. What's the nearest thing available to the fork on
a Switch? Does anyone have a bike with one? The only thing I want for the
bike is disc mounts, otherwise I am easy.

Chris.

(BTW, if anyone has a switch but would like to make it into a hardtail,
please get in touch.)

|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me
Ads
  #2  
Old August 21st 04, 06:45 PM
Zog The Undeniable
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Chris Davies wrote:
Hello everyone.

I have sold all of my bikes except for my new tourer and one MTB which I
am going to keep in my room.
I originally had 3 MTBs - a Giant Track (mid 90's, very good quality but
unfashionable), a Ridgeback Switch (an MTB with rigid forks, already
regretting letting it go) and a Ridgeback MX95 (the only one I have
left, now wish I had parted with it instead of the Switch).
Much as I like the one I have I find I am really missing the Switch. I
can't get it back, but I have decided I want to get rigid forks on the
bike I have - to hell with what other riders think, I can see how lots
of people like suspension but I don't want it.
So my question is this. What's the nearest thing available to the fork
on a Switch? Does anyone have a bike with one? The only thing I want for
the bike is disc mounts, otherwise I am easy.



Kona Project Two?
  #3  
Old August 21st 04, 08:21 PM
Chris Davies
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:45:00 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
wrote:

Chris Davies wrote:
Hello everyone.

I have sold all of my bikes except for my new tourer and one MTB which
I am going to keep in my room.
I originally had 3 MTBs - a Giant Track (mid 90's, very good quality
but unfashionable), a Ridgeback Switch (an MTB with rigid forks,
already regretting letting it go) and a Ridgeback MX95 (the only one I
have left, now wish I had parted with it instead of the Switch).
Much as I like the one I have I find I am really missing the Switch. I
can't get it back, but I have decided I want to get rigid forks on the
bike I have - to hell with what other riders think, I can see how lots
of people like suspension but I don't want it.
So my question is this. What's the nearest thing available to the fork
on a Switch? Does anyone have a bike with one? The only thing I want
for the bike is disc mounts, otherwise I am easy.



Kona Project Two?


They would be ideal but I don't think you can get them with disc mounts.

--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me
  #4  
Old August 22nd 04, 03:13 PM
Vivian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Can I ask you why don't you like suspension? The reason I'm curious is
because I rode my hybrid bike on some rough terrain, and my shoulders,
especially the right one where I have an injury, were killing me afterwards.
I would have given anything for a suspension fork. In fact, I'm toying with
the idea of buying a MTB for those kinds of trips, and I'm inclined to look
for suspension forks.


Vivian
-------
"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
No Surrender

"Chris Davies" wrote in message
news
Hello everyone.

I have sold all of my bikes except for my new tourer and one MTB which I
am going to keep in my room.
I originally had 3 MTBs - a Giant Track (mid 90's, very good quality but
unfashionable), a Ridgeback Switch (an MTB with rigid forks, already
regretting letting it go) and a Ridgeback MX95 (the only one I have left,
now wish I had parted with it instead of the Switch).
Much as I like the one I have I find I am really missing the Switch. I
can't get it back, but I have decided I want to get rigid forks on the
bike I have - to hell with what other riders think, I can see how lots of
people like suspension but I don't want it.
So my question is this. What's the nearest thing available to the fork on
a Switch? Does anyone have a bike with one? The only thing I want for the
bike is disc mounts, otherwise I am easy.

Chris.

(BTW, if anyone has a switch but would like to make it into a hardtail,
please get in touch.)

|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me



  #5  
Old August 22nd 04, 03:14 PM
Vivian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Are you the one who was having isuses with your landlady?


Vivian
-------
"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
No Surrender

"Chris Davies" wrote in message
news
Hello everyone.

I have sold all of my bikes except for my new tourer and one MTB which I
am going to keep in my room.
I originally had 3 MTBs - a Giant Track (mid 90's, very good quality but
unfashionable), a Ridgeback Switch (an MTB with rigid forks, already
regretting letting it go) and a Ridgeback MX95 (the only one I have left,
now wish I had parted with it instead of the Switch).
Much as I like the one I have I find I am really missing the Switch. I
can't get it back, but I have decided I want to get rigid forks on the
bike I have - to hell with what other riders think, I can see how lots of
people like suspension but I don't want it.
So my question is this. What's the nearest thing available to the fork on
a Switch? Does anyone have a bike with one? The only thing I want for the
bike is disc mounts, otherwise I am easy.

Chris.

(BTW, if anyone has a switch but would like to make it into a hardtail,
please get in touch.)

|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me



  #6  
Old August 23rd 04, 09:55 AM
James Thomson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Kona Project Two?

"Chris Davies" wrote:

They would be ideal but I don't think you can get them with disc mounts.


There are a few versions of the P2 around. The standard triple-butted XC
version has V-brake bosses only. The beefy dirt/jump model has V-brake
bosses and a disk mount. There's also a version of the XC model with a disk
mount only. If you wanted to have the XC model with dual compatibility, it
wouldn't be expensive to have a disk mount brazed onto the V-brake model,
or V-brake bosses brazed onto the disk-only version.

Pace RC31 carbon forks are available at reasonable prices on the
second-hand market, and have a disk mount, plus a V-brake option. There are
two blade lengths available - you'll probably want the shorter (older)
model.

James Thomson


  #7  
Old August 24th 04, 10:17 AM
Chris Davies
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:13:56 +0100, Vivian wrote:

Can I ask you why don't you like suspension? The reason I'm curious is
because I rode my hybrid bike on some rough terrain, and my shoulders,
especially the right one where I have an injury, were killing me
afterwards.
I would have given anything for a suspension fork. In fact, I'm toying
with
the idea of buying a MTB for those kinds of trips, and I'm inclined to
look
for suspension forks.


Vivian


Vivian,

I'm just not that keen on it, with the notable exception of the Moultons
(still want one).

I like mountain bikes just fine, I think they're a lot more confidence
inspiring than road bikes, especially when the roads are nasty and of
course the sheer versatility of them, but I'm not that keen on mountain
biking as such.
If I was into, say, downhilling, it would be a different story.

For my uses (basically just messing about in town and very, very
occasional off-road forays with my mates) I am happy with the weight
saving and simplicity of rigid forks.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

BTW, just a thought - have you tried a suspension stem? Some hate them,
but they might help you, and you don't have to fork out (excuse the pun)
for proper suspension. You can get them off ebay for about a quid when
they come up.

Chris

--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me
  #8  
Old August 24th 04, 10:18 AM
Chris Davies
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:14:52 +0100, Vivian wrote:

Are you the one who was having isuses with your landlady?


That's me!


--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me
  #9  
Old August 24th 04, 10:26 AM
Chris Davies
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:55:35 +0200, James Thomson
wrote:

Kona Project Two?


"Chris Davies" wrote:

They would be ideal but I don't think you can get them with disc mounts.


There are a few versions of the P2 around. The standard triple-butted XC
version has V-brake bosses only. The beefy dirt/jump model has V-brake
bosses and a disk mount. There's also a version of the XC model with a
disk
mount only. If you wanted to have the XC model with dual compatibility,
it
wouldn't be expensive to have a disk mount brazed onto the V-brake model,
or V-brake bosses brazed onto the disk-only version.

Pace RC31 carbon forks are available at reasonable prices on the
second-hand market, and have a disk mount, plus a V-brake option. There
are
two blade lengths available - you'll probably want the shorter (older)
model.

James Thomson



I looked at a project two with disc mounts in a shop yesterday, I was put
off because it was seriously heavy. I would quite like to look at a Pace
(never had a carbon fork before). Thanks for the advice.
Chris

--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me
  #10  
Old August 24th 04, 12:28 PM
James Thomson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Chris Davies" wrote:

I looked at a project two with disc mounts in a shop yesterday,
I was put off because it was seriously heavy.


You probably saw the jump version. The XC model isn't heavy.

James Thomson


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rec.Bicycles Frequently Asked Questions Posting Part 1/5 Mike Iglesias General 4 October 29th 04 07:11 AM
WTB: rigid fork to replace suspension fork Richard InNwa Marketplace 4 August 19th 04 02:48 AM
rigid mtb fork with disk mount Alex Rodriguez Marketplace 2 August 7th 04 12:57 AM
Wanted: Anyone have a mtb rigid fork for sale? Pace? Me UK 2 November 8th 03 09:05 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.