About time too - ban on footway parking

Old April 18th 16, 06:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default About time too - ban on footway parking

QUOTE:
"Parking cars on the pavement could be banned across the country under new plans to make the streets safer and encourage more people to walk.

Ministers are considering extending the total ban on pavement parking that has been in place in London for the past 40 years to the rest of England.

Currently, motorists are barred from parking on the pavement in the capital unless it is expressly permitted by a local authority."

Read mo http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz469aHGrmm
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Old April 18th 16, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

"Alycidon" wrote

QUOTE:
"Parking cars on the pavement could be banned across the country under new
plans to make the streets safer and encourage more people to walk.

Except, pedestrians will then have to dodge the posts needed to carry the
big yellow signs. Otherwise it will be soooo unfair for the
poor motorist.

It reminds me of a recent occasion. I was dodging all the cars
cluttering a residential road and I passed one with a handwitten note on
the windscreen from somebody complaining about the way it was parked.

I looked up and down the street and, yes, it stood out from the others. It
was the only one with all four wheels on the road.

Old April 18th 16, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 18/04/2016 12:47, JNugent wrote:
On 18/04/2016 09:06, TMS320 wrote:

"Alycidon" wrote

QUOTE:
"Parking cars on the pavement could be banned across the country
under new
plans to make the streets safer and encourage more people to walk.

Except, pedestrians will then have to dodge the posts needed to carry the
big yellow signs. Otherwise it will be soooo unfair for the
poor motorist.

What signs?

London has no signs saying "No Parking on Footways". Have you not been
in London at any point over the last forty years?

There are signs in a few places in London expressly allowing it, but
that is unusual.

It reminds me of a recent occasion. I was dodging all the cars
cluttering a residential road and I passed one with a handwitten note on
the windscreen from somebody complaining about the way it was parked.
I looked up and down the street and, yes, it stood out from the
others. It
was the only one with all four wheels on the road.

:-)

The road must have been narrow.

The better way to deal with it would be - as has been said before,
especially by me - to simply ban the keeping of motor vehicles at any
address where they cannot be, and/or are not (either to apply
independently), kept off the road, on defensible space controlled by the
occupants of the property. That could be a driveway or garage on the
plot; it could be space rented for the purpose nearby. At a pinch, a
motor-bike could be wheeled into the premises and parked in the kitchen
or bedroom.

Nice potential fire hazard. At a local block of 5 cottages, all were
wrecked after a motorcycle in one of the front gardens caught light,
happily only a dog died as a direct result, but it was a year of expense
and misery for all residents, plus the continuing mental anguish of lost
posessions and memories.

Old April 18th 16, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen

JNugent wrote:
[...]

No, the best way to deal with the problem is to smash the window with a
crowbar, let the handbrake off, and roll the car into the middle of the
road, thus blocking all traffic.

Once half a dozen streets have been brought to a complete ****ing
standstill because of this, residents' and businesses' (all car drivers -
'cos the government listens to them) complaints will get loud enough that
'Somthing Must be Done'.

Those wielding the crowbars just need to apply the same criteria as applied
by the D-Lock Enforcement Cyclists:

* no DNA
* no witnesses
* no CCTV

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
Old April 18th 16, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 18/04/2016 10:58, MrCheerful wrote:
[...]

I am happy to accept your proposed amendment.

Old April 18th 16, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
skate

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:58:07 +0200, MrCheerful
wrote:

[...]

Happily only a dog died? Shame on you!

It might have been only a dog but it was someone's best friend...

Old April 18th 16, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 22:36:33 -0700 (PDT)
Alycidon wrote:

QUOTE:
"Parking cars on the pavement could be banned across the country
under new plans to make the streets safer and encourage more people
to walk.

Ministers are considering extending the total ban on pavement parking
that has been in place in London for the past 40 years to the rest of
England.

Currently, motorists are barred from parking on the pavement in the
capital unless it is expressly permitted by a local authority."

Read mo
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz469aHGrmm

There are plenty of places where it's the custom to park with two
wheels on the pavement, where banning this could create a real hazard
by preventing access to emergency vehicles.
There's a street near here where the marked parking bays are half on
the pavement (double yellows on the other side) which enables parking
and two-way traffic. The proposed legislation would allow this sort
of exception, but I expect the number of traffic orders that councils
would have to make would keep them busy for a while, and lead to some
controversy locally.

Old April 18th 16, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

wrote:

[...]

I love dogs and own two, but I would rather they died than a human.
Old April 18th 16, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

Alycidon wrote:

QUOTE:
"Parking cars on the pavement could be banned across the country
under new plans to make the streets safer and encourage more people
to walk.

Ministers are considering extending the total ban on pavement parking
that has been in place in London for the past 40 years to the rest of
England.

Currently, motorists are barred from parking on the pavement in the
capital unless it is expressly permitted by a local authority."

Read mo
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz469aHGrmm

There are plenty of places where it's the custom to park with two
wheels on the pavement, where banning this could create a real hazard
by preventing access to emergency vehicles.

That seems strange. It seems to assume car drivers have a god given
right to park where they like and that preventing them parking on the
pavement will legitimately cause them to obstruct the road.

I think that the law should be upfront about it. If a majority of town
residents value parking above pedestrian use pavement there should be a
bylaw or whatever. I don't think we should just accept that it is ok to
park in the road blocking emergency vehicles if they are prevented
parking on the pavement.

There's a street near here where the marked parking bays are half on
the pavement (double yellows on the other side) which enables parking
and two-way traffic. The proposed legislation would allow this sort
of exception, but I expect the number of traffic orders that councils
would have to make would keep them busy for a while, and lead to some
controversy locally.

Such is the way of progress.