Prescription eyeglasses for touring

Old May 25th 10, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Prescription eyeglasses for touring

I'm thinking along the lines of a mountaineering type
frame with prescription lenses that automatically turn
dark in sunlight. Frames would have some kind of
leather covering AROUND frames and lens to "cup" the
eye from all sides and block light coming in thru sides

Anyone wearing such glasses or have even better idea?
Old May 25th 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 25 May 2010 10:26:45 -0500, wrote:

I'm thinking along the lines of a mountaineering type
frame with prescription lenses that automatically turn
dark in sunlight. Frames would have some kind of
leather covering AROUND frames and lens to "cup" the
eye from all sides and block light coming in thru sides

Anyone wearing such glasses or have even better idea?

Yes. Photochromic works for me if I remove the visor from my helmet.
Otherwise, it never seems to get dark enough. I have one really good
glass lens pair, and a mess of cheap junk prescription glasses for
various occasions. For plastic, see:
http://www.zennioptical.com
The glass lenses came from Costco. I also have a prescription
sunglasses from Bucci (one of my customers):
http://www.buccisunglasses.com

I'm not an expert on frame selection and have limited experience. As
I understand it, the leather covering around the sides and top of the
"glacier" eyeglasses is to prevent snow blindness and "light leaks"
for alpine climbers. I don't think they're particularly applicable
for bicyclists (unless you enjoy the smell of sweat soaked leather).

My personal preference is to get as wide a field of view as possible.
In particular, in the upwards direction. This is a problem with
todays high fashion narrow glasses. Mine are all as large as
possible, wrap around, or both. I don't care if I look weird as long
as I can see properly. The only problem with big glasses is keeping
my sweating eyebrows from fogging the lenses. Several pairs are
bifocal (non-progressive) so that I can see ahead and read the
computah display (and auto dashboard). If you're going to mount a
rear view mirror on the glasses, make sure the frame is thick and
strong enough.

One word of warning if you're going to order your own glasses. They
need to know the pupillary distance (the distance between the pupils
of your eyes). The optometrist normally does not include these
numbers on the prescription. Instead of using a ruler, go to an
eyeglasses vendor and have them measure it accurately with a
pupilometer. For bifocals, you'll need 4 numbers. L+R for distance,
and L+R for reading glasses or dashboard distance. If your nose if
off center, don't panic, you're not deformed.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Old May 25th 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I understand it, the leather covering around the sides and top of the
"glacier" eyeglasses is to prevent snow blindness and "light leaks"
for alpine climbers. I don't think they're particularly applicable
for bicyclists (unless you enjoy the smell of sweat soaked leather).

yes....glacier glasses that is what they are called but
couldn't remember
Old May 26th 10, 07:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

wrote:

I'm thinking along the lines of a mountaineering type
frame with prescription lenses that automatically turn
dark in sunlight. Frames would have some kind of
leather covering AROUND frames and lens to "cup" the
eye from all sides and block light coming in thru sides

Anyone wearing such glasses or have even better idea?

The signal that causes your pituitary gland to prompt your skin to
make melanin comes from your eyes. If you block out most of the
sunlight that would otherwise go into your eyes, you'll tan less and
sunburn more easily.

Chalo
Old May 26th 10, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:
I'm thinking along the lines of a mountaineering type
frame with prescription lenses that automatically turn
dark in sunlight. Frames would have some kind of
leather covering AROUND frames and lens to "cup" the
eye from all sides and block light coming in thru sides

Anyone wearing such glasses or have even better idea?

Glacier glasses have side shields for a number of reasons, most of which
don't apply to cycling. Curved lens glasses are just as effective, but
corrective lenses, particularly in high diopters, can be a problem.

I've not tried photogray lenses, I don't see the need for outdoor
activities.

I have found that long days of windy riding can dry out my eyes, but
that's relatively rare and not too bad of a problem. I have wraparound
glasses (corrected), but mostly prefer plain sunglasses. I did try using
small lensed sunglasses for a kind of "poor man's bifocal" -- just look
under lenses for maps, computer, etc., but found that light reflecting
off my cheeks caused enough reflection off the inside of the lens to be
a problem. I suppose I could blacken that area as some sports players do.

The problem for me with both wraparound and glasses with side shields is
that they restrict peripheral vision -- something I'm very fond of while
cycling. They might be worth it in high glare or very windy conditions
(e.g. glaciers), but not on my typical rides.

One interesting option is the frame that has tiny strong magnets
embedded in the bridge and dark lenses that are made to accompany them.
My wife has a pair that she loves. Similar to "clip-ons" but without the
dork factor.

http://www.zennioptical.com/home.php?cat=8
Old May 26th 10, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
MikeWhy

"Chalo" wrote in message
The signal that causes your pituitary gland to prompt your skin to
make melanin comes from your eyes. If you block out most of the
sunlight that would otherwise go into your eyes, you'll tan less and
sunburn more easily.

I have never found that to be true. Sunglasses would leave my eye sockets
pale while the rest of the face and body tanned darkly. These are good
quality glass lens Ray-Ban aviators that I've worn for 30 years. I would say
pale skin syndrome comes more from genetic predisposition and obsessive
application of sunscreen than from shading the eyes with sunglasses.

Old May 26th 10, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter Cole wrote:

but
corrective lenses, particularly in high diopters, can be a problem.

Yes and that is exactly my problem above!!

Its best for me to keep actually lens size small as
possible given my terribly bad eyes
Old May 26th 10, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 25, 11:26*am, wrote:
I'm thinking along the lines of a mountaineering type
frame with prescription lenses that automatically turn
dark in sunlight. Frames would have some kind of
leather covering AROUND frames and lens to "cup" the
eye from all sides and block light coming in thru sides

Anyone wearing such glasses or have even better idea?

I wear an oakley semi-wrap frame (can't go full wrap w/ my script)
with drivewear lenses. I absolutely love them - the lenses are
amazing.
Old May 28th 10, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I'm not an expert on frame selection and have limited experience. As
I understand it, the leather covering around the sides and top of the
"glacier" eyeglasses is to prevent snow blindness and "light leaks"
for alpine climbers. I don't think they're particularly applicable
for bicyclists (unless you enjoy the smell of sweat soaked leather).

Point taken

Problem is.... I very near sighted and its best for me
to keep lens dimensions as small as possible otherwise
I get very thick heavy glasses plus vision distortions
in peripheral vision

So.... was thinking some kind of "John Lennon" style
glasses with darkening material around rest of filed of
vision