Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars

Old May 18th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars

Dennis P. Harris Wrote:
On Wed, 17 May 2006 18:31:10 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, Mark
Hickey wrote:

In certain urban areas in the US, the blame would be put on the
current administration and they'd do a telethon to raise support for
him.

the more you engage in right wingnut rants like this, the less
i'm interested in your titanium frames. this one was totally
uncalled for.

Oh Dennis, wake up and smell the roses...he is spot on unless you cant
see it...and therefore being a blind cyclist would have little use for
a Ti frame at all...
The world is going mad because of people who cant see what political
correctness and blind to reality is doing to us.

? did you ride in the *Ride of Silence* today in honour of the memory
of cyclists killed ? that is more important in the scheme of things and
Ken Kifer's memory ...well did you?

--
rooman

Old May 18th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Hickey wrote:

In certain urban areas in the US, the blame would be put on the
current administration and they'd do a telethon to raise support for
him.

the more you engage in right wingnut rants like this, the less
i'm interested in your titanium frames. this one was totally
uncalled for.

It makes me more interested in one, sorry, but the truth sometimes hurts.

Old May 18th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Hickey wrote:

In certain urban areas in the US, the blame would be put on the
current administration and they'd do a telethon to raise support for
him.

the more you engage in right wingnut rants like this, the less
i'm interested in your titanium frames. this one was totally
uncalled for.

If you had left the context of Mark's remark and /then/ taken issue with it,
there might be something to debate. Instead, it just sounds like he hit a
nerve.

Old May 18th 06, 08:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Hadron Quark wrote:
"Bob" writes:

Hadron Quark wrote:

With that attitude noone would ever be released. The asshole who hit Ken
got 20 years : this is not a lenient sentence. In fact you could say it
was far too long for what could be described as "an alcohol induced accident".

If he can succeed in rehab then maybe, just maybe this young man can
serve a useful role in society once again.

Really? That he had posted bail on a previous DUI just hours before
driving drunk again and then after going to prison decided to risk
literally years of his life so he could get high doesn't bode well for
his successful rehabilitation.

Agreed : but if he does/can then all the better.

It's easy enough to say, "if he can succeed in rehab then maybe, just
maybe...", but all indications are that he won't succeed. Punishment
for the damage he's already done aside, it's an issue of probability
versus possibilty. The probability he would repeat his past behavior
outweighs the apparently remote possibility that he can be
rehabilitated.

BTW, the "young man" in question is 31 years old. At what age do we
stop excusing intentional criminal acts as "errors of youth"?

Who said it was an error of youth?

You seemed to be implying just that when you described a 31 year old
habitual drunk driver and drug user as a, "... young man (that) can
serve a useful role in society...".

He certainly deserves punishment :
but to lock away the key is extreme and certainly not how any developed
society or legal system should handle it.

It's not backward for a society to say in effect, "Enough is enough.
You knew the rules and the penalties for breaking them. You broke those
rules and we gave you a second chance. You apparently still haven't
learned to live by the rules so we're going to banish you from our
society until you do learn". It's also not a sign of sophistication for
a society to say, "Here are the rules and the penalties for breaking
them but if you break them, don't worry. We'll give you second, third,
and fourth chances if necessary. We won't ever actually impose the
penalties prescribed because that wouldn't be the mark of a developed
society."

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old May 18th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ken inspired me to get into bicycle touring, and corresponded with me from
time to time. I sure miss his posts.

"RobertPerkins" wrote in message
ups.com...
The murderer of Ken Kifer, Jimmy Don Rodgers, is still behind bars.
Thank goodness Jimmy Don decided to screw up his chances for Parole.
His release date is now 2023.

Rob

Date: Sun, Sep 4 2005 11:03 pm
Email: Rob Perkins
Groups: rec.bicycles.misc

I was stunned to visit Ken Kifer's pages after a long time and find out
that he had been murdered by a serial drunk driver & drug abuser in Sep
2003. See
http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/index.htm

Old May 18th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Hickey wrote:

In certain urban areas in the US, the blame would be put on the
current administration and they'd do a telethon to raise support for
him.

the more you engage in right wingnut rants like this, the less
i'm interested in your titanium frames. this one was totally
uncalled for.

Dennis-
Even though you disagree with his opinion, a three sentence paragraph
that doesn't include even one crude insult is hardly a "rant". BTW, I
think Mark realized a long time ago that he'd never sell a frame to
you, probably in one of several past threads in which you've accused
him of fostering a slave labor system by outsourcing his frames to
China.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old May 19th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On 18 May 2006 10:35:04 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, "Bob"
wrote:

BTW, I
think Mark realized a long time ago that he'd never sell a frame to
you, probably in one of several past threads in which you've accused
him of fostering a slave labor system by outsourcing his frames to
China.

please tell me when, since i don't recall doing that. i might
have questioned his outsourcing decision, but i don't recall
accusing him of "fostering slave labor".

as a matter of fact, i corresponded with him about having one
custom made, but spent the money to go see lance win the 2004
tour instead, and then bought a house which is sucking up most of
my spare cash.

but the truth is, i've become more and more weary of his spouting
dittohead untruths and stereotypes. most so called liberals i
know are activists against drunk driving, some are active members
of MADD, not defenders of idiots like the guy that killed kifer.

imho, first offense should be a year revocation and 30 days in
jail, second, 10 years revocation and a year in jail, and for a
third offense, 10 years in jail and lifetime revocation. of
course if the drunk driver kills someone they should be charged
with second degree murder unless they are driving without a
license, in which case they should be charged with 1st degree
murder.

i know a lot of "liberal" cyclists who call in drunk drivers with
their cell phones all the time, just like i do, so hickey's rant
about stereotyped "liberals" is just a bunch of right wingnut
propaganda. it makes as much sense as your assumption in this
newsgroup that cops are always right, which i my experience is
far from true (and a someone managing 500+ units of rental
housing that includes 3 trailer courts, i deal with cops a lot,
usually trying to help them arrest one of our tenants).

Old May 19th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

BTW, I
think Mark realized a long time ago that he'd never sell a frame to
you, probably in one of several past threads in which you've accused
him of fostering a slave labor system by outsourcing his frames to
China.

please tell me when, since i don't recall doing that. i might
have questioned his outsourcing decision, but i don't recall
accusing him of "fostering slave labor".

I was wrong. You've never accused him directly of fostering slave
labor. I was thinking of statements you've made that shopping at
WalMart or buying Nike products do that.

as a matter of fact, i corresponded with him about having one
custom made, but spent the money to go see lance win the 2004
tour instead, and then bought a house which is sucking up most of
my spare cash.

Welcome to the joys of home ownership! ;-)

but the truth is, i've become more and more weary of his spouting
dittohead untruths and stereotypes. most so called liberals i
know are activists against drunk driving, some are active members
of MADD, not defenders of idiots like the guy that killed kifer.

If you'll simply reread what he wrote you'll see that he wasn't talking
about drunk drivers or even liberals per se. He was referring to a
certain attitude that refuses to acknowledge the concept of personal
responsibility, preferring to blame everything on: a) whoever happens
to be running the government and b) a faceless, nameless "them".

hickey's rant
about stereotyped "liberals" is just a bunch of right wingnut
propaganda. it makes as much sense as your assumption in this
newsgroup that cops are always right.

Your characterization of a satirical three line post as a "rant about
stereotyped liberals" has as much basis in fact as your assertion that
I assume cops are always right.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old May 19th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Bob wrote:

If you'll simply reread what he wrote you'll see that he wasn't talking
about drunk drivers or even liberals per se. He was referring to a
certain attitude that refuses to acknowledge the concept of personal
responsibility...

Yep. We need much more personal responsibility. And speaking of
ditto-heads, we could start with some radio personalities.

We need radio personalities that don't go through mulitple wives while
pushing "family values."

We need radio personalities that responsibly control their druggie
tendencies, instead of fueling the illicit drug market, then using
their influence to get little slaps on the wrist.

We need radio personalities that responsibly limit the amount of food
they intake. And responsibly fulful their military obligations. And
responsibly tell the truth, rather than willfully misleading listeners
on national issues while pretending to be "just entertainment."

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 19th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:
Bob wrote:

[...]

It may surprise you Frank but I actually agree with almost everything
you just wrote. ("Almost" because I couldn't care less if a radio
personality is overweight. It's their body and since it's *radio* I
don't have to look at them. g) All I'd add is that I wish the
entertainers/social critics on both the left and the right apply the
same concepts. Of course, what I'd really like is if all of them-
Limbaugh, Mahr, O'Reilly, Franken, et al- would just close their mouths
until they open their minds but that's asking too much.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

"The danger of extremists is not that they are extreme but that they
are intolerant."- Robert Kennedy