New Ohio law: Drivers leave 3-foot gap to pass bicyclists

Old March 21st 17, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Garrison Hilliard

Default New Ohio law: Drivers leave 3-foot gap to pass bicyclists

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A new Ohio law requires drivers to allow at
least 3 feet of space when passing bicyclists on the road, though some
cyclists say it's tough to enforce and not a strong enough deterrent
to cars zipping past too closely.

Some Ohio cities, including Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus,
already had similar requirements.

The measure that took effect Tuesday is among 17 bills that Republican
Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) signed late last year. It adds the
specific 3-foot passing provision to Ohio law, which previously
required allowing a generic "safe distance."

The Plain Dealer reports Ohio joins more than half the states in the
country in setting that specification as part of law to help protect
bicyclists.

http://www.fox19.com/story/34960657/...ass-bicyclists
Old March 21st 17, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 8:08:07 AM UTC-7, Garrison Hilliard wrote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A new Ohio law requires drivers to allow at
least 3 feet of space when passing bicyclists on the road, though some
cyclists say it's tough to enforce and not a strong enough deterrent
to cars zipping past too closely.

Some Ohio cities, including Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus,
already had similar requirements.

The measure that took effect Tuesday is among 17 bills that Republican
Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) signed late last year. It adds the
specific 3-foot passing provision to Ohio law, which previously
required allowing a generic "safe distance."

The Plain Dealer reports Ohio joins more than half the states in the
country in setting that specification as part of law to help protect
bicyclists.

http://www.fox19.com/story/34960657/...ass-bicyclists

You will probably have the same effect as California - they will give you room for about three months and then forget about it unless there's a cop present.

Old March 21st 17, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/21/2017 8:21 AM, wrote:
[...]

Wrong. They give me lots of room. But I have taken measures that
encourage this to occur. Yes, it's nerdy, but it works amazingly well.

I use a a much shorter flag than the one being sold by the company
below, but it is still very effective. http://takeyourlane.com/

Now I just have to wait for my check from them.
Old March 21st 17, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Out here in El Dorado County it mostly stuck though. Except for
low-lifes like the one on Saturday that want to show who is boss.
Leaning on the horn, pushing me to the side. A flag like Andrew's would
only have helped if it had a morning star fastened to the end.

Enforcement is pretty much zero. Reporting a rogue driver even with
evidence won't do much good either.

The sad result is what I hear over and over again, most recently an hour
ago while walking the dog. A neighbor said "Oh yeah, I cycle. See the
stationary bike in the garage?" ... "But you could have a lot more fun
on a real bicycle" ... "I don't ride alongside cars anymore, ever". If
there ain't no bike path they will not ride.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 21st 17, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Three feet is an excellent start.

In Europe the requirement is 1.5 meters, which about an inch shy of 5 feet.

Typically, on the back roads we ride where I live, taking a minimum bike width of 24in, plus riding at least 18in from the often broken verge of the road, 3.5ft altogether, that means a bicycle should appear to a driver as an 8.5 feet slow-moving obstacle.

For those who don't like the attitude of the vehicular cyclists but nonetheless think they get a few things right, that's the same as taking the lane.

Last week or the week before a pedalpal mentioned on a ride that cars were giving us plenty of space, so we watched them and they were indeed giving us noticeably more space than last year. On the widest road we ride, for instance, several cars in a row gave two cyclists abreast the 1.5 meters by going to the far side of the road (lanes not actually marked on this back country road with an official limit of 80kph, about 50mph, but most cars traveling less than that because the road is demanding).

There was some speculation that maybe the rule was being enforced. It just takes a few enforcements a year to change behavior positively.

So three feet is a good start. I also think, after my local experience in probably different conditions, that in slow traffic what is more important than more space is enforcement. If passing speed differential is very large, three feet may not be enough.

Andre Jute
One hand washes the other

Old March 21st 17, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 21/03/2017 1:35 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

We have a similar rule here in Quebec. 1 meter for speed limits under
50k/h and 1.5 meters for speed limits over that. Also, if the car can't
pass the bicycle in the same lane while maintaining that distance (we
still have the keep to the far right) they are supposed to wait until
they can change lanes. They are allowed to cross a solid lane dividing
line in order to do this.

I can say that it seems that some of the drivers certainly seem to
follow this. You always get the idiots that think the cars own the road
though.

Old March 21st 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/21/2017 11:41 AM, Duane wrote:

We have a similar rule here in Quebec. 1 meter for speed limits under
50k/h and 1.5 meters for speed limits over that.

snip

Still using that commie Metric System I see.

Old March 21st 17, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 21/03/2017 3:07 PM, sms wrote:
On 3/21/2017 11:41 AM, Duane wrote:

We have a similar rule here in Quebec. 1 meter for speed limits under
50k/h and 1.5 meters for speed limits over that.

snip

Still using that commie Metric System I see.

Yeah, well if we actually saw the price per gallon when we bought gas
there might be a tea party.
Old March 21st 17, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-03-21 12:07, sms wrote:
On 3/21/2017 11:41 AM, Duane wrote:

We have a similar rule here in Quebec. 1 meter for speed limits under
50k/h and 1.5 meters for speed limits over that.

Makes a lot of sense when a large 18-wheeler or bus blows by at 60mph or
more. First there is that nice push but once it passes there is suction
towards road center and potentially into the path of the following vehicle.

snip

Still using that commie Metric System I see.

As a poster from an electronics group used to say, that's the
"imperially challenged" :-)

ducking

However, even our local IEEE is metric now in publications and such.
Well, mostly, not so much for aerospace. The funny thing from my old
home country Germany is that they have these foldable measuring sticks.
Much more practical than tape because less flopping about. My first one
still had inches and centimeters, still have it. Now only metric yet
they still call them Zollstock which translates to "inch stick".

Old March 21st 17, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default New French Law Fights 15cm Thigh Gap

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 8:08:07 AM UTC-7, Garrison Hilliard wrote:
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A new Ohio law requires drivers to allow at
least 3 feet of space when passing bicyclists on the road, though some
cyclists say it's tough to enforce and not a strong enough deterrent
to cars zipping past too closely.

Enough, already!

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...-gap-1.3020909