Near Miss of the Day 499: Driver cuts straight across cyclist at junction

Old November 18th 20, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

Default Near Miss of the Day 499: Driver cuts straight across cyclist atjunction

On 18/11/2020 18:15, Mike Collins wrote:
On Wednesday, 18 November 2020 at 11:40:16 UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 17/11/2020 20:44, TMS320 wrote:
On 17/11/2020 17:03, JNugent wrote:
On 17/11/2020 15:25, TMS320 wrote:

Yes, it's amusing that you think that if something suddenly blocks
the way ahead "stopping" doesn't make the event a near collision.

No-one - not even a cyclist - is justified in ploughing on and
colliding with a vehicle - or a human - who has moved into their
path, irrespective of whether that third party is in the wrong.

You haven't looked at the video and you keep flip flopping between near
collision and collision. The cyclist calmly avoided a collision.

He made the situation less safe than it could have been by ploughing on
in an obvious fit of pique. He could have stayed further away from the
other vehicle (and yes, the actions of the driver *were* annoying) by
slowing or better still, stopping.

I would have done so. So, I suggest, would most people. You insist,
though, that you would not have sought to minimise the danger by slowing
or stopping. I'm still not sure whether to believe you on that last bit;
it could be that you are just posturing.

When you are in a hole stop digging.
The 'untrained' non 'road tax' paying cyclist handled the situation perfectly.

That's a ridiculous thing to say.

The cyclist could have slowed and or stopped well short of any potential
collision point.

I would class this as an everyday occurrence not a near miss,

I'll agree with that. People make mistakes all the time. The best way to
react to mistakes by others is to minimise the danger which then
presents itself. The best way to do that is to STOP and not to plough on
as a mistaken "point of honour".

not that it excuses the dangerous driving from the 'highly trained' subsidised road user.

Indeed not.

But making the situation either worse than it needs to be, or less safe
than it can be made, is stupid.

But perhaps the bike had no brakes. There's apparently a lot of it about.
Old November 18th 20, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 6:15:40 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:

I would class this as an everyday occurrence not a near miss, not that it excuses the dangerous driving from the 'highly trained' subsidised road user.

Agreed - when I used to cycle to work 1995-2013, these incidents were ten a penny. Most drivers held their hands up and said sorry for their mistakes. Even pedestrians that walked out in front of you without looking apologised.
Old November 19th 20, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 18/11/2020 11:42, JNugent wrote:
On 17/11/2020 20:44, TMS320 wrote:
On 17/11/2020 17:03, JNugent wrote:
On 17/11/2020 15:25, TMS320 wrote:

Yes, it's amusing that you think that if something suddenly
blocks the way ahead "stopping" doesn't make the event a near
collision.

No-one - not even a cyclist - is justified in ploughing on and
colliding with a vehicle - or a human - who has moved into their
path, irrespective of whether that third party is in the wrong.

You haven't looked at the video and you keep flip flopping between
near collision and collision. The cyclist calmly avoided a
collision.

He made the situation less safe than it could have been by ploughing
on in an obvious fit of pique. He could have stayed further away
from the other vehicle (and yes, the actions of the driver *were*
annoying) by slowing or better still, stopping.

Even before he could walk, my grandson clearly had better spatial
awareness than you have.

I would have done so.

It's known as target fixation. Quite common in people inexpert at
vehicle control.

So, I suggest, would most people. You insist, though, that you would
not have sought to minimise the danger by slowing or stopping. I'm
still not sure whether to believe you on that last bit; it could be
that you are just posturing.

Slowing or stopping? What a stupid statement: it is not possible to stop
without slowing. Responses are to slow and go round or to slow and stop.

The former is always best, where there is room.
Old November 19th 20, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 18/11/2020 18:15, Mike Collins wrote:

When you are in a hole stop digging. The 'untrained' non 'road tax'
paying cyclist handled the situation perfectly. I would class this as
an everyday occurrence not a near miss, not that it excuses the
dangerous driving from the 'highly trained' subsidised road user.

Yes, it's something cyclists learn to live with. It happens to drivers
so rarely that when it happened to me about 11 or 12 years ago the
experience gained from cycling was invaluable.