Worn out hoods

Old October 15th 16, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Worn out hoods

On 15/10/16 07:48, wrote:
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 9:56:31 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 11:10:32 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 14/10/16 11:25, Doug Landau wrote:
How many miles does it take to get to wear out the rubber hoods on Ultegra 9 speed?

How long is a piece of string? I mean, how rough are your hands? How
much weight do you put on the hoods? How much riding do you do hanging
on to the hoods? What constitutes worn out?

I'd rather know why a sachs chain now lasts only 1200 miles where it used to go 2000

Think about this - a chain used to drag really hard if you went to extremes - low/high or high/low. Now testing laboratories show that there's no measurable difference when you do this.

This would suggest to me that chain sides are thinner now than in the past so the chain is less rigid. This also would mean that there is either more play in the bearings to begin with or the steel in the rollers is softer than before so that it can flex.

I thought the biggest difference was when they stopped riveting the side
plates together, allowing the side plates to float a little on the pin.
This allows much more flex to the side, and also decreases bearing
surface area - thus quicker wear but better capacity to handle more
sprockets.

--
JS
Old October 15th 16, 10:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

"Doug Landau" wrote in message ...
How many miles does it take to get to wear out the rubber hoods on Ultegra 9 speed?

In my experience they do not wear out. I have worn out the internals of a right hand shifter and its hood was still in good condition. My guess is, that like most rubber products, their lives might be governed more by exposure to sun light rather than hand wear.

We are not overly blessed by strong sunlight in the UK and my bikes are stored in doors.

Graham.

---

Old October 15th 16, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

True roller chain connects the two sideplates with a sleeve.
The rivet runs inside that sleeve, the roller outside. That
system gives longest life but with minimum sideplay.
https://www.machineseeker.com/pic/la.../2950798-3.jpg

Starting with the Sedisport c.1978 the sideplates are
interrupted with a lip. The two sideplate lips support the
roller and a rivet connects the sideplates. That system is
lighter, cheaper to make and has much more sideways slop
which is good for derailleur systems. The wear is however
significantly faster as Jobst elucidated here frequently.

http://www.khurramhashmi.org/khurram...gtuyb_f9-2.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

MA3 rim worn out joy Clive George UK 3 May 18th 08 03:31 PM
FA: New hoods for your Shimano STI's Gemma_k Marketplace 0 June 19th 05 01:47 PM
WTB: Dura Ace STI hoods Daniel Mendoza Marketplace 1 June 2nd 04 02:26 AM
Sticky Hoods DaveH Techniques 3 October 19th 03 09:36 AM
More Drivel on "Look" Cleats - How Worn is Too Worn? Suzy Jackson Australia 5 August 22nd 03 07:42 AM