bikes are too fast for sidewalks, and too slow for traffic lanes

Old July 18th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default Take meditation or take a gun

On Jul 17, 6:20 pm, catzz66 wrote:
This is an exception, but I have generally decided not to reply to this
guy's threads. What possible good could come from cross posting to
rec.bicycles.misc, alt.planning.urban, rec.bicycles.soc,
rec.bicycles.rides, uk.rec.cycling? If you find a pile of cow manure by
the side of the road and stir it up, you still just have a stirred up
pile of cow manure.

Monkeys throw **** when they get mad, that's why we have to consider
cows quite civilized.

Good thing the Internet allows for civilized conflict resolution.
Old July 18th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

"Don't tease the monkey" T-shirt...

http://www.zazzle.com/don_t_tease_th...55204051654433
Old July 18th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default A civilized society cannot let the law of the jungle rule itsroads

On Jul 18, 1:04*pm, KingOfTheApes wrote:
"Don't tease the monkey" T-shirt...

http://www.zazzle.com/don_t_tease_th...55204051654433

"A civilized society cannot let the law of the jungle rule its roads;
if we want to ensure fairness, government must act to protect the
weak."

And why should we protect the monkey, not the lion? Because then the
lion will eat the monkey, stupid. And that keeps the other monkeys
terrorized, which is not what we want. We want them to come out,
right?

Here's a smart comment on the subject...

"The purpose of the police power is to protect public health, safety,
and welfare. When it comes down to cars vs. bicycles, the latter need
greater protection than the former -- after all, cars kill more
Americans than guns do, whereas beds kill more Americans than bikes
do.

That's why places which truly embrace bicycling as a valid (and safe)
mode of transportation have laws that aren't fair: bicycles get more
rights than cars. In many northern European countries, the driver is
always at fault in a bicycle-car crash. Some municipalities even
completely exempt bicycles from many road regulations (like one-way
traffic flow) -- since such regulations are often intended to regulate
cars (in the one-way example, that street might be too narrow for two
cars to pass but plenty wide for two bikes to pass).

A civilized society cannot let the law of the jungle rule its roads;
if we want to ensure fairness, government must act to protect the
weak.

The #1 reason that people cite for not bicycling more often is that
they feel that biking is unsafe. It isn't, really -- in fact, not
bicycling degrades your life expectancy more than bicycling -- but it
can be made much safer through good policies, enforced fairly."

Posted by PCC | June 25, 2008 8:30 PM

http://matthewyglesias.theatlantic.c..._hierarchy.php
Old July 21st 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default MIGHT IS RIGHT

On Jul 18, 11:28 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jeff ? wrote:
KingOfTheApes wrote:

But the fact of the matter is that bikes are too fast for sidewalks,
and too slow for the traffic lanes. In other words, THERE'S NO PLACE
FOR BIKES (unless you are going super slow or super fast).

Not certain I'd agree. I am NOT the fastest cyclist, by any stretch of
the imagination, particularly when commuting as I don't want to sweat.
Nonetheless, as I commute to work, I frequently fall in behind the bus I
would take were I to take the bus. I am always within a few
car-lengths, either side, when it arrives at the stop at which I would
exit the bus were I to take the bus. In short, I cycle as fast as the
bus travels (granted, the bus has to stop to meet the needs of other
commuters). Since I don't hear anyone suggesting that the buses are too
slow for the road, I must not be too slow for the road and, by
extension, all the cyclists who pass me (who are legion) must not be too
slow for the road. So it is not fair to say that cyclists are too slow
for the road.

The bus is also massive enough to crush the largest luxury SUV.

It may a reason powerful enough in a place where MIGHT IS RIGHT.

Interesting there's a book by that name, that's still censored after a
century, and yet very much practiced everywhere, including in our
roads...

"One would think that in our liberal, enlightened times a book dating
from the Victorian Age would be viewed as a quaint curiosity. Not so
Dr. Ragnar Redbeard's notorious Might Is Right or the Survivial of the
Fittest. It is hated and denounced as much today as when it first made
the rounds of the Victorian Age's elite and influential, which
explains why the book is often featured on banned-book lists."

http://www.dilpicklepress.com/
Old July 23rd 08, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
GeneralissimoApeshit

On Jul 18, 10:04*am, KingOfTheApes
wrote:
"Don't tease the monkey" T-shirt...

http://www.zazzle.com/don_t_tease_the_monkey_shirt-SPAM

Spammer.
Old July 23rd 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_2_]

wrote:
"Don't tease the monkey" T-shirt...

http://www.zazzle.com/don_t_[spank]_the_monkey_shirt-SPAM

Spammer.

I fixed the URL.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 23rd 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default Planet of the Apes

On Jul 23, 12:41 am, GeneralissimoApe****
wrote:
On Jul 18, 9:11 am, KingOfTheApes wrote:

I've found that the more you crosspost it, the more the **** gets
stirred. But no bull ****, please.

Most people avoid piles of ****.

Is that why people avoid *you*? Or is it because you are an ape?

I'm one myself and I'm proud of it.

We are waiting for the Planet of the Apes, right?

"the apes, who can talk, are in control and are divided into a strict
class system: the gorillas as police, military, and hunters; the
orangutans as administrators, politicians and lawyers; and the
chimpanzees as intellectuals and scientists. Humans, who cannot talk,
are considered feral vermin and are hunted and used for scientific
experimentation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_...pes_(1968_film)

I'd like to experiment with those humans who drive SUVs to see what's
in their head...
Old July 23rd 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Jul 23, 1:05 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
GeneralissimoApe**** wrote:
On Jul 18, 9:11 am, KingOfTheApes wrote:

I've found that the more you crosspost it, the more the **** gets
stirred. But no bull ****, please.

Most people avoid piles of ****.

Dung beetles think it is like going to a fancy restaurant.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder" or so the saying goes among
the winos, those who always ride a rusted bike.

Many people think **** of the cyclists (perhaps associating us with
the winos), but we know is good.