Creaking pedals

Old July 31st 16, 09:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

Default Creaking pedals

I have a Shimano chainset with Shimano pedals. I have just come back from a trip to the Pyrenees where I climbed some of the classic cols ridden in the TdF and Vuelta. After an hour or two of climbing at least one and possibly both of my pedals started to creak - every half rev.

After the first time I tried tightening them but they were already as tight as they would go and this made no difference. What did make a difference was slackening and then retightening them. This was only a temporary fix as the creak would return after another hour or two of climbing. The threads are clean and greased. Having got back home the problem has not returned when cycling around on much flatter territory. I guess it will though when I climb the next sizeable hill.

Anyone come across this before and found a fix. I was considering trying some plumbers ptfe tape to take up any possible slight mismatch in the thread profiles or to provide another form of lubrication to prevent the creak.

Graham.

---

Old July 31st 16, 11:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Graham wrote:
[...]

I use look pedals, not shimano but I've had something like that twice.
Either when climbing or sometime going into a stiff wind. When I was
hammering and not spinning.

The first time it was from the springs in the pedal. Cleaning and silicon
spray stopped it. The second time it was something with the grip pads on
the cleats. I switched to the bare cleats and it hasn't returned. Both
times it seemed like the pedal connection to the crank but it wasn't that.

--
duane
Old July 31st 16, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/31/2016 3:44 AM, Graham wrote:
[...]

I would try to isolate the noise with a pair of flat pedals
and street shoes.

Hold front brake, steady yourself with the other hand and
press pedals alternately in a quiet room. Once you can
clearly hear and replicate the noise, change to the flat
pedals, repeat to see if there is any change. If change, you
have a pedal problem. If no change, it's something else.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 31st 16, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 1:44:25 AM UTC-7, Graham wrote:
[...]

Try the PTFE tape. It works for me and solved what I thought was a very noisy BB. IMO, the Hollowtech crank pedal eye and Shimano pedals have a fairly sloppy fit that is prone to creaking. Filling the threads with tape or paste helps. Andrew proposes a more scientific approach that will really tell you whether you have a pedal issues. I wouldn't want to go ratting around in my basement for platform pedals and would just make the fix (which takes about five minutes) and then see if it worked. I would also check the other culprits -- chainring bolts, loose rear QR (you can get some creaking at the dropout/axle locknut that sounds like BB noise) and, of course, your BB. Then as Duane points out, you can get cleat noise and, finally, internal pedal bearing noise -- which has never been a problem for me with Shimano pedals. If you still have problems after taping and reinstalling the pedals, try Andrew's approach.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 31st 16, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/31/2016 9:04 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

+1
a 'pedal' noise is more probably cleat interface than
pedal-to-crank thread. Pedal internal bearing troubles are
unlikely in a Shimano pedal.

At any rate, listening before/after each iteration of
tighten/ lubricate/ exchange part or what have you can be[1]
helpful and definitive.

[1] 'can be' not 'will be'

Old July 31st 16, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/31/2016 4:44 AM, Graham wrote:
[...]

I've encountered many more creaks and squeaks from the shoe to pedal
interface than from the pedal to crank interface. Have you tried
lubricating the various parts of the "clipless" clip mechanism? Have
you tried some dry lube where the clip grips the cleat, or other
pressure points?

If those don't work, I'd try teflon tape on the pedal-to-crank threads,
as others have suggested.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 31st 16, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 7:46:39 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

That problem is pretty easy to isolate, too. Just get out of your clips and pedal on the soles for a while (carefully). You can also pedal one-legged, and test each pedal separately. I think Duane mentioned recently that the supplied non-skid pads on the Look cleats increase squeaking. I take mine out because they also make entry harder.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 31st 16, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

In my case, unclipping and peddling on the soles didn't tell me anything
because it was only under load that this happened. I was hesitant to try
this on an 18% grade.

--
duane
Old August 1st 16, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 31 Jul 2016 09:44:22 +0100, "Graham"
wrote:

[...]

Plumber's tape is a soft, slippery, Teflon tape that is intended to
deform under pressure, without tearing, in order to seal the threads
against pressure in pipe. Not to somehow render the joint ridged.

Jobst Brandt apparently had considerable problems with pedals and
evolved some fixes. One of which I believe involved machining a
tapered seat in the crank.

A starting point might be to remove the pedals and clean the crank arm
and pedal shank thoroughly and examine them, with a magnifier, if
necessary. If the pedal shank and crank are unblemished then apply
anti-seize (or grease) and reinstall the pedals. Torque to Shimano
specified 25 - 40 ft. lbs. If it were me, I believe I would tend
toward the upper end of the recommended torque range. And, I would, in
this instance actually torque the pedals in place. Not just tighten
them up, grunt and think "tight enough all ready".

Then try it. If it doesn't creak you have solved the problem, and if
they still creak you have at least eliminated some possible causes :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 1st 16, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Jobst's problem was that he broke a lot of cranks due to cracking at the pedal-eye, so he came up with his home-brew conical washer arrangement. I don't think he had creaking problems.

-- Jay Beattie.

"Creaking" pedals MuniAddict Unicycling 7 June 29th 07 08:19 PM
KH Creaking--help! pkittle Unicycling 14 January 10th 07 06:06 AM
KH Creaking--help! entropy Unicycling 0 January 8th 07 08:16 PM
creaking theunknown.92 Unicycling 11 June 19th 06 09:09 PM
Creaking [email protected] Techniques 8 November 6th 05 08:19 PM