Worn out hoods

Old October 14th 16, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Worn out hoods

How many miles does it take to get to wear out the rubber hoods on Ultegra 9 speed?
Old October 14th 16, 07:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 14/10/16 11:25, Doug Landau wrote:
How many miles does it take to get to wear out the rubber hoods on Ultegra 9 speed?

How long is a piece of string? I mean, how rough are your hands? How
much weight do you put on the hoods? How much riding do you do hanging
on to the hoods? What constitutes worn out?

--
JS
Old October 14th 16, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 11:10:32 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 14/10/16 11:25, Doug Landau wrote:
How many miles does it take to get to wear out the rubber hoods on Ultegra 9 speed?

How long is a piece of string? I mean, how rough are your hands? How
much weight do you put on the hoods? How much riding do you do hanging
on to the hoods? What constitutes worn out?

I'd rather know why a sachs chain now lasts only 1200 miles where it used to go 2000

Old October 14th 16, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 12:56:31 PM UTC-4, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 11:10:32 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 14/10/16 11:25, Doug Landau wrote:
How many miles does it take to get to wear out the rubber hoods on Ultegra 9 speed?

How long is a piece of string? I mean, how rough are your hands? How
much weight do you put on the hoods? How much riding do you do hanging
on to the hoods? What constitutes worn out?

I'd rather know why a sachs chain now lasts only 1200 miles where it used to go 2000

Made in China now perhaps?

Cheers
Old October 14th 16, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-14 09:56, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 11:10:32 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 14/10/16 11:25, Doug Landau wrote:
How many miles does it take to get to wear out the rubber hoods on Ultegra 9 speed?

How long is a piece of string? I mean, how rough are your hands? How
much weight do you put on the hoods? How much riding do you do hanging
on to the hoods? What constitutes worn out?

Eating tortilla chips while riding? Jalapeno-laced or not?

:-)

I'd rather know why a sachs chain now lasts only 1200 miles where it used to go 2000

The current Sachs-Sedis chain on my road bike is now well past 2000mi
and still good. But it was a stashed away version from 10 years ago.

Does that mean you can't recommend this brand anymore?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 14th 16, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 14/10/16 18:56, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 11:10:32 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 14/10/16 11:25, Doug Landau wrote:
How many miles does it take to get to wear out the rubber hoods on Ultegra 9 speed?

How long is a piece of string? I mean, how rough are your hands? How
much weight do you put on the hoods? How much riding do you do hanging
on to the hoods? What constitutes worn out?

I'd rather know why a sachs chain now lasts only 1200 miles where it used to go 2000

You have become a cycling *God*?

Old October 14th 16, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 10:50:42 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 14/10/16 18:56, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 11:10:32 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 14/10/16 11:25, Doug Landau wrote:
How many miles does it take to get to wear out the rubber hoods on Ultegra 9 speed?

How long is a piece of string? I mean, how rough are your hands? How
much weight do you put on the hoods? How much riding do you do hanging
on to the hoods? What constitutes worn out?

I'd rather know why a sachs chain now lasts only 1200 miles where it used to go 2000

You have become a cycling *God*?

it might have to do with gaining 50 Lbs
Old October 14th 16, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick[_4_]

On 14/10/2016 01:25, Doug Landau wrote:
How many miles does it take to get to wear out the rubber hoods on Ultegra 9 speed?

I think my last Sora hoods were looking the worse for wear after about
25,000 (maybe a bit more), ie a hole where my hand rubbed the rubber
away. My current ones still look pristine at 10,000km
Old October 14th 16, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 9:56:31 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 11:10:32 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 14/10/16 11:25, Doug Landau wrote:
How many miles does it take to get to wear out the rubber hoods on Ultegra 9 speed?

How long is a piece of string? I mean, how rough are your hands? How
much weight do you put on the hoods? How much riding do you do hanging
on to the hoods? What constitutes worn out?

I'd rather know why a sachs chain now lasts only 1200 miles where it used to go 2000

Think about this - a chain used to drag really hard if you went to extremes - low/high or high/low. Now testing laboratories show that there's no measurable difference when you do this.

This would suggest to me that chain sides are thinner now than in the past so the chain is less rigid. This also would mean that there is either more play in the bearings to begin with or the steel in the rollers is softer than before so that it can flex.
Old October 14th 16, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-14 13:48, wrote:
[...]

I am sure glad my road bike is 7-speed. When I can find a decently
priced 7-speed MTB cassette with 36T in there I'll probably reduce my
MTB from 10 to 7 gears in back as well. Chain life being a secondary
reason though.

MA3 rim worn out joy Clive George UK 3 May 18th 08 03:31 PM
FA: New hoods for your Shimano STI's Gemma_k Marketplace 0 June 19th 05 01:47 PM
WTB: Dura Ace STI hoods Daniel Mendoza Marketplace 1 June 2nd 04 02:26 AM
Sticky Hoods DaveH Techniques 3 October 19th 03 09:36 AM
More Drivel on "Look" Cleats - How Worn is Too Worn? Suzy Jackson Australia 5 August 22nd 03 07:42 AM