Dry lube?

Old April 24th 18, 10:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Default Dry lube?

Dear cyclists,

After years using wet lubes in all conditions (currently, a specific
chain oil with PTFE from 3in1
http://www.3-en-un.fr/produit/lubrifiant-chaines-et-cables-250ml/),
and being used to seing my chain getting very dirty, I have just learnt
that I may avoid this by using dry lube instead.

Actually, I have heard of one specific product, the Squirt dry lube
http://www.squirtlube.com/our-products/. It is about twice more
expensive than the lubricant I am currently using, but it is supposed to
reduce cleaning work, and if it does make the chain cleaner, it may as
well reduce its wear and extend its life.

So, have any of you tried that lubricant, or any other dry one? Would
you recommend it rather than wet lubes? My most important usage is a
daily commuting through suburb streets and forest paths (in all weather
conditions, therfore quite muddy when it rains, but now that summer is
coming, it is going to be rather dry).

--
Â*Â*__o Tanguy
Â*__\,_
Old April 24th 18, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/24/2018 4:06 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
[...]

Because the dry lubricant is pushed out from under the
rollers but doesn't flow back in, you'll need to apply it
more frequently. Some riders prefer dry lubes and neither is
better once you adjust the replenishing interval to suit
your mileage and riding conditions.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 25th 18, 09:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

One other thing, I have seen suggestions of lubricating only the chain,
and not the sprockets and derailleur. However, I think the derailleur
sprockets still need some lubrication to roll with few friction, do they
not?

--
Tanguy
Old April 25th 18, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/25/2018 4:54 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
One other thing, I have seen suggestions of lubricating only the chain,
and not the sprockets and derailleur. However, I think the derailleur
sprockets still need some lubrication to roll with few friction, do they
not?

No. The friction between the chain's rollers and the sprocket teeth is
negligible. And if you add any lubricant to those surfaces, the
lubricant will soon be filled with abrasive grime. That will accelerate
wear and probably increase the friction.

That's my estimation, anyway.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 26th 18, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 24/04/18 19:06, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
[...]

Like Frank said, wax alone allows and the chain will squeak sooner
rather than later. I use much more oil than Frank though, about 50/50
candle wax and EP gear oil. Paraffin oil is also apparently quite good.

My mixture cost me sweet F.A., and lasts at least 1000km between
applications including some wet rides. Heat the mix in an old cooking
pot until it is liquid and immerse the chain. Use a Connex quick link
for convenience.

Ok, you might get a little black on your fingers to put a dropped chain
back on, but the chain, chain rings, cassette and jockey wheels don't
get gummed up with thick hardened crud either.

It's the best of three worlds.
1/ Long chain life.
2/ Low maintenance.
3/ Low cost.

--
JS
Old April 26th 18, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 08:54:51 -0000 (UTC), Tanguy Ortolo
wrote:

One other thing, I have seen suggestions of lubricating only the chain,
and not the sprockets and derailleur. However, I think the derailleur
sprockets still need some lubrication to roll with few friction, do they
not?

If you lube the chain (with whatever) some of that lube will be
transferred to the sprockets. For proof simply handle a newly lubed
chain :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 26th 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 09:55:06 +1000, James
wrote:

[...]

What is the consistency of your oil/wax mixture at room temperature?

I've been using a bee's wax/paraffin/grease mixture that when hardened
feels greaseless.

The bee's wax addition came about simply because the shop where I
bought the paraffin wax had some bee's wax and I thought "why not",
although it was about double the paraffin cost. It does make the wax
mixture a bit softer though.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 26th 18, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

Like Frank said, wax alone allows and the chain will squeak sooner
rather than later. I use much more oil than Frank though, about 50/50
candle wax and EP gear oil. Paraffin oil is also apparently quite good.

My mixture cost me sweet F.A., and lasts at least 1000km between
applications including some wet rides. Heat the mix in an old cooking
pot until it is liquid and immerse the chain. Use a Connex quick link
for convenience.

Ok, you might get a little black on your fingers to put a dropped chain
back on, but the chain, chain rings, cassette and jockey wheels don't
get gummed up with thick hardened crud either.

It's the best of three worlds.
1/ Long chain life.
2/ Low maintenance.
3/ Low cost.

What is the consistency of your oil/wax mixture at room temperature?

On a very hot day, say 40C+, it softens. Below that it is solid, but
has a slightly oily feel on the surface.

I've been using a bee's wax/paraffin/grease mixture that when hardened
feels greaseless.

The bee's wax addition came about simply because the shop where I
bought the paraffin wax had some bee's wax and I thought "why not",
although it was about double the paraffin cost. It does make the wax
mixture a bit softer though.

My only experience with bees wax is to wax fly tying thread. From that
I would say it might be a little sticky.

--
JS
Old April 26th 18, 09:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

James, 2018-04-26 01:55+0200:
Like Frank said, wax alone allows and the chain will squeak sooner
rather than later. I use much more oil than Frank though, about 50/50
candle wax and EP gear oil. Paraffin oil is also apparently quite good.

Thank you for the advice!

My mixture cost me sweet F.A., and lasts at least 1000km between
applications including some wet rides. Heat the mix in an old cooking
pot until it is liquid and immerse the chain. Use a Connex quick link
for convenience.

So, to sum up, I can get some paraffin wax, put it in a pot with some
oil (paraffin or motor oil), heat it until it melts, stir to make an
homogeneous mix, and immerse my previously cleaned chain in it. All
right?

The mixture will solidify again so I can then remove it from the pot and
store it in some jar.

It's the best of three worlds.
1/ Long chain life.
2/ Low maintenance.
3/ Low cost.

Great, I have to try this! With some adaptation to enhance the wife
acceptance factor, because I expect some trouble if I use a kitchen pot
for such a mechanic work. :-D

--
Tanguy
Old April 26th 18, 10:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Frank Krygowski, 2018-04-25 17:43+0200:
On 4/25/2018 4:54 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
One other thing, I have seen suggestions of lubricating only the chain,
and not the sprockets and derailleur. However, I think the derailleur
sprockets still need some lubrication to roll with few friction, do they
not?

No. The friction between the chain's rollers and the sprocket teeth is
negligible. And if you add any lubricant to those surfaces, the
lubricant will soon be filled with abrasive grime. That will accelerate
wear and probably increase the friction.

I was more thinking about the friction between the derailleur sprockets
and their axles, actually.

--
Tanguy