So Long Tubulars?

Old July 12th 19, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default So Long Tubulars?

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 19:39:03 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 7/11/2019 5:44 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 00:01:27 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 5:59:53 PM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:

so here is a quote that Brandt
made back in the glory days:

. Oh, you mean this guy:

Thomas H Munich, Born: Oct 1944
3539 Monterey Blvd
San Alejandro CA94578
510) 351-3807

http://tinyurl.com/8rwo2

I thought we had gotten over him, now that we have other
contributors who are equally rude and obnoxious, always carping
while offering no useful information. A few names come to mind.

Jobs Brandt

, DEC 26, 2005

Kind of unrelated to the content of this thread. But looking at this Jobst quote, the guy he is complaining about is only 61 when written. I am pretty sure ALL of the dirty old *******s I ride with are at least that old. I'm the youngster, and I'm not that young anymore. Sadly. Its very depressing that everyone is so F---ing old now.

Yes, he was born in 1944 and is this year 75 years old and as a
general statement males seem to become more garrulous with age, and
Brandt describes the chap as being rude, obnoxious and always
carping, which appear to be an apt description today. :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.

"equally rude and obnoxious, always carping"

Huh I was thinking Joe Biden who will turn 77 this year.

Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. born November 20, 1942, ex V.P

I read that:

"Whatever else one thinks of Joe Biden, the speech he delivered in New
York on Thursday showed him to be the only Democratic candidate with
his own vision on foreign policy and a full understanding of just how
badly President Donald Trump's vision is damaging U.S. interests and
values around the world."
_________________________

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
in other countries and one thing that is happening is that more and
more exports, and likely imports, from at least Thailand and Cambodia
are going to China now as opposed to the U.S. And China is funneling
money into both countries both in the form of low cost loans and by
opening manufacturing businesses which, of course, contributes to the
local economy both in the form of taxes and by employing more locals.

Even Australia, the news yesterday recently, is considering developing
nuclear weapons as the U.S. foreign policy seems to be very "wobbly"
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/17...uclear-weapons

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old July 12th 19, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
in other countries and one thing that is happening is that more and
more exports, and likely imports, from at least Thailand and Cambodia
are going to China now as opposed to the U.S. And China is funneling
money into both countries both in the form of low cost loans and by
opening manufacturing businesses which, of course, contributes to the
local economy both in the form of taxes and by employing more locals.

Even Australia, the news yesterday recently, is considering developing
nuclear weapons as the U.S. foreign policy seems to be very "wobbly"
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/17...uclear-weapons

I see in today's paper that for 2019 US imports from China
are down 13% while imports from ROK are up 13%, from ROC up
23%, from Vietnam up 37% and so on.

Only one of the aforementioned countries has four
supercarrier keels down with a goal of challenging USN.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 12th 19, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
in other countries and one thing that is happening is that more and
more exports, and likely imports, from at least Thailand and Cambodia
are going to China now as opposed to the U.S. And China is funneling
money into both countries both in the form of low cost loans and by
opening manufacturing businesses which, of course, contributes to the
local economy both in the form of taxes and by employing more locals.

Even Australia, the news yesterday recently, is considering developing
nuclear weapons as the U.S. foreign policy seems to be very "wobbly"
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/17...uclear-weapons

I see in today's paper that for 2019 US imports from China
are down 13% while imports from ROK are up 13%, from ROC up
23%, from Vietnam up 37% and so on.

Only one of the aforementioned countries has four
supercarrier keels down with a goal of challenging USN.

I see nothing unusual about that :-) After all nearly all of the major
countries in the world has done that at one time or another.

Does anyone back there give any thought as to where these countries,
with the possible exception of the ROK, get these goods that they are
exporting to the U.S. Did Vietnam somehow manufacture or grow 37% more
of whatever practically overnight? Or did they simply import it from
their neighbor to the north?

There have been reports here of shipping companies shipping goods
marked "Product of Vietnam" that were actually goods being
transshipped from China. In the case I read the Vietnamese government
arrested the shipping company, not for the fact the he was shipping
Chinese goods to the U.S. but solely because of the added "made in
Vietnam" labels.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 12th 19, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 5:14:49 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 7:01:38 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 6:14:31 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 3:35:54 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 10:00:42 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 12:09:53 PM UTC-4, duane wrote:
On 10/07/2019 10:45 a.m., sms wrote:
On 7/6/2019 11:22 PM, Chalo wrote:
I was just observing to one of my coworkers that tubeless is the new
sewups-- inconvenient, messy, time-consuming, and totally useless for
99% of the people who think they're essential.

Anyone not going tubeless is standing in the way of human progress.

Seriously, for racers the weight savings make some sense since their
support vehicle will just hand them a replacement wheel and tire if they
get a flat, but for normal riders they're just an expensive hassle.

If you come across someone on the side of the road, asking to borrow
your pump, standing there in Lycra with empty CO2 cartridges on the
ground, you can be pretty certain that they're using tubeless.. Any
minuscule time savings due to the slight weight savings is lost in the
noise when compared to the additional time to fix a flat.

Not sure what Lycra has to do with it or CO2 for that matter but
tubeless tires here are pretty much a rarity so I would be that they
aren't using tubeless.

And anyway, I'd likely lend them one of my CO2 instead of my pump since
I wouldn't want to wait for them to pump up their tires.

I know one guy using tubeless in my club and the last time he rode with
us he had a slow leak and had to stop every 20 km to pump the tires.
That's out of ~400 members.

Maybe I'm missing your point amid the lycra/co2 smoke...

I've helped strangers and friends by letting them use my pump. I didn't begrudge
the time at all. Generally it allows for some friendly conversation. And on one
ride that I've described from a couple years ago, three failures of various CO2
cartridges were a blessing. They allowed me some badly needed rest until the
guy with the flat finally borrowed my pump.

And since this is a discussion group, we could (ahem!) discuss the relative
advantages and disadvantages of both CO2 and lycra.

Unless, that is, tech skepticism is not allowed. If that's a rule now, I guess
only gushingly positive comments are appropriate.

I rode for three hours in the (unexpected) rain last Saturday in lycra shorts with a synthetic chamois, merino-poly bicycle specific sleeveless base layer (Showers Pass promo), lycra arm warmers and poly-wool blend cycling socks. I remained comfortable, although a little cold on some of the descents.

I could not imagine having been in cotton shorts or even nylon running shorts with cotton underwear, a Joerg approved cotton-tee and cotton socks. It would be like wearing a swamp with my ass sloshing around on the saddle. I would have frozen on the descents and remained wet for the whole ride. In fact, I would have turned around on the outskirts of Portland.

When the sun came out, I dried out in probably ten minutes -- or felt dry in ten minutes. I was bone dry by the time I got to Hood River except my socks were still damp, which I noticed when I took off my shoes. They still felt comfortable. Cotton socks would still be damp today.

And if you flat when its cold and miserable and raining, a CO2 inflator is a godsend and beats the hell out of flogging a clown pump -- same goes for when you're tired. CO2 has its environmental issues, and I still bring a clown pump as a back up, but there is no question that an inflator is a super-fast and convenient way of filling a tire. If you're an idiot and can't use one properly, that is a whole other issue -- and if you're that much of an idiot, you'll probably break off a valve with a clown-pump anyway.. You should learn how to use the equipment or call an Uber.

No argument about the wet clothing. As I've said, I try to avoid riding in the
rain. When I do, it's usually because I'm on a long recreational ride and got
caught; and on long recreational rides I do wear bike clothes.

Having said that, I'd like to find clothing that was comfortable for, say, 50
miles on the bike but didn't make me look like a race costume. Come to think of it,
I wish that clothing would appear on quite a few other cyclists. Aesthetically
speaking, many lycra fans could use fashion help.

About the CO2: In the incident I described above, it wasn't one person who didn't
know how to use it properly. There were at least three people involved in fixing
the flat (while I lay on the berm of the road exhausted). I'm not sure, but I
think one failure was because the replacement tube had a hole in it, so the CO2
was wasted. But I think the second failure was somehow not getting the CO2 to
work right. I can't be sure; I was half dead and hoping they'd botch it yet
again, so I could rest.

- Frank Krygowski

Based on many of your anecdotes, I must say that you excel at meeting incompetent bicyclists. LOL VBEG

I've met bicyclists at the side of a road who were either trying to patch a tube, replace a tube or pump up the tire/tube combination and were having difficulties not because they were incompetent but because they'd never done it before with the equipment they had that day. On an organized tour a couple of years ago the rider got his tube replaced but was unfamiliar with his brand new mini-pump. Another time I gave a CO2 cartridge o a rider because he had the wrong type of cartridge for his inflator.

I have helped many, many bicyclists over the years. I remember when one of our
club's past presidents wrote an article describing the traits of the club's
officers and committee chairs. For me, she described me as the guy who's always
fixing other riders' bikes.

But I think we may forget that we're denizens of a "tech" group. We are almost
certainly WAY more mechanically competent than the average cyclist. Bike shops
get business from people who bring in flat tires to change, or derailleurs that
need adjusting screws twisted half a turn! And for every such bike, there are
probably a dozen that just die in the garage for the same reasons.

Still, I wouldn't say a person is competent if they got a flat and had the wrong
type CO2 cartridge, or didn't know how to use his new mini-pump. Wouldn't a
competent person check that stuff the moment he bought the tool?

- Frank Krygowski

Over the last ten years I have offered help to very many people and they never needed it. So I tend to assume that people can change their own flats or get their own chains back on the rings without my help.
Old July 12th 19, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

Only with jackasses like you or Frank whose entire purpose on this group is to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about when you don't have a clue even what I'm saying.

By the way idiot - do you even know what tubeless means?
Old July 12th 19, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
in other countries and one thing that is happening is that more and
more exports, and likely imports, from at least Thailand and Cambodia
are going to China now as opposed to the U.S. And China is funneling
money into both countries both in the form of low cost loans and by
opening manufacturing businesses which, of course, contributes to the
local economy both in the form of taxes and by employing more locals.

Even Australia, the news yesterday recently, is considering developing
nuclear weapons as the U.S. foreign policy seems to be very "wobbly"
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/17...uclear-weapons

--

Cheers,

John B.

So now you're showing that there isn't anything you even have a close approximation of including imports from or exports to China. I think you ought to vote for Joe Biden - he's the sort of politician that you are a bicycle tech expert.
Old July 12th 19, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
[...]

My website search has a slightly different number.

"The Associated Press reported Friday that Chinese imports from the U.S. were down 31.4 percent from the same time last year, U.S. imports from China dropped by a far lower rate — down just 7.8 percent over last year."

So it seems Trump has made the trade war much worse with his actions. We are hurting China by buying 7.8% less of their goods. Yeah Trump. But hurting USA companies even more by selling 31.4% less to China. I'm sure for 3-4 time bankrupt Trump that means he is winning. Cut off China's pinky finger. Cut off the USA hand. Winning!!!
Old July 12th 19, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
[...]

Another economist steps forward with his educated ideas. We are buying less from China because Americans are buying more from America. This probably is something you cannot fathom. Moreover, since we are keeping more money in America we have less need to sell to foreign countries.

China HAS made a commitment to partake seriously in trade treaty negotiations.

It's plain that you don't understand anything about anything like all of the other idiot millennials.
Old July 12th 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
[...]

That doesn't even make sense. We're not buying significantly more American products because most of the products from China apart from steel are no longer manufactured here, like most things at Walmart. We're now buying that stuff from ROC, Vietnam, Toadsuckistan -- or the same Chinese stuff is being rerouted through those countries. Just as much money is leaving the country, but its going different places. And more money is leaving American pockets to pay the tariffs. http://money.com/money/5646202/costc...ina-trade-war/ Also, tell the farmers about "not needing" to sell to foreign countries. Your tax dollars are now bailing them out. More farm welfare to promote over-production.

BTW, you don't have any idea of how quickly a US-based company can shift production to another country. Your MAGA hat and Donald Trump tie are now made in Viet Nam instead of China. I ride regularly with two executives who have domestic companies with manufacturing in China. For one, it took only a few months to shift the whole operation to Viet Nam.

China should be spanked for its anti-competitive conduct and misappropriation of US IP, but don't think the dopey tariff war is the way to do it. Tariffs are just how Trump is filling budget holes with the massive reduction in the corporate rate and other give-aways to the rich and famous. Once again, ordinary Joe pays.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 12th 19, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

From here it is easy to see the results of the Trump "foreign policy"
[...]

I don't think you understand trade policies. It doesn't MATTER if these products still come from China because we have fair trade policies with these other countries. And pretty soon with China as well. This means that they CANNOT put financial burdens on importing American products if we do not do the same with theirs.

These are all very simple matters and I'm surprised that you would leap to such conclusions without a thought.