Replacing a lost toolkit

Old August 19th 19, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Replacing a lost toolkit

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 16:41:58 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/18/2019 2:52 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

One lesson, that I learned is that, the all in one multi tool
conglomerated tools are a PITA to use and really awkward to use. ...

None have anything resembling a scraper, pointed
tweezers, lock raking tools, and other useful tools not associated
with bicycling.

Lock raking tools? Are those to acquire someone else's bicycle if yours
is giving trouble?

Well, as someone said, one should be prepared for any and all
emergencies :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 19th 19, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

On 8/18/2019 2:52 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

One lesson, that I learned is that, the all in one multi tool
conglomerated tools are a PITA to use and really awkward to use. ...

None have anything resembling a scraper, pointed
tweezers, lock raking tools, and other useful tools not associated
with bicycling.

Lock raking tools? Are those to acquire someone else's bicycle if yours
is giving trouble?

They're to replace the bolt cutters and angle grinder, which are both
too heavy to carry on a ride.

Ever notice that many bicycle locks do not require a key to lock? Just
close the hasp, and it's locked. Unfortunately, some otherwise
intelligent riders are in the habit of locking their bicycle at the
local coffee shop, only to find that they have forgotten to bring the
key. Also, some lock their keys in their car. When I was riding more
often, this happened sufficiently often to inspire me to bring my
tools. Also, I like to show off a little. Single pin picking takes
too long, so I just rake the lock, use a bump key if available, or use
a bypass technique.

For a time, I suspected that some riders intentionally "forgot" their
keys, just to watch me pick their bicycle lock. I can't open every
lock, but I do well enough. I'm still a beginner and am far from
proficient.

BosnianBill:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bosnianbill+bicycle
https://www.youtube.com/user/bosnianbill/videos

LockPickingLawyer:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lockpickinglawyer+bicycle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 19th 19, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 18:22:20 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

In my case: pocket knife, mosquito repellent sachets, small pliers (4"
channel lock), folding money ($5 wrapped around the spare tube), shower
cap to put on the saddle when bike is left in the rain, a few feet of so
of nylon cord, Park mt-1. I think I'll throw a lighter in there, just to be
completely boy scout.

I used the pliers in my wallet once. But I really, really needed them
that once. (In my wallet? I saw a really cute multi-tool really
cheap and bought it just because. I pinned it into the
folding-scissor pocket of my wallet so I wouldn't lose it on the way
home, and never got around to putting it someplace else.)

I never go *anywhere* without a pocket knife, especially my own back
yard. The knife in the pocket of my grubbies has an inch of
serrations good for cutting woody weeds.

I do refrain from weighting the pockets of my Sunday dresses with a
pocket knife, but being a member of the kitchen committee, I know
where we keep the good knives. And there's a single-edge razor blade
in the sewing kit in my pocket-size wallet.

Perhaps I should put a book of matches in a "Pill Pouch" bag and stash
it in my emergency kit.

The only thing in there that I've used recently is my sun visor.

I once badly needed the band-aid in my first-aid kit. That was many
years ago.

(Ever try to open a toolkit with one hand held high above your head?)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old August 19th 19, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 12:21:11 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Ever notice that many bicycle locks do not require a key to lock? Just
close the hasp, and it's locked.

Jeff also sent some lock picking videos. Those links must burn the companies who made those locks. But lotta lock-makers and -users miss the point altogether. No lock is undefeatable -- all it can do is deter or delay a would-be thief. That said, some locks do that better than others.

One class of lock that I like is the Dutch ring lock, which is permanently attached to the seat stays and locked by removing the key; they're very difficult to bring an angle grind to bear on. You can see a ring lock in the fourth photo from the bottom at this link -- it is the component with the orange handle:
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGsmover.html
Some of that type come with a hefty plug-in chain which unlocks with the same key.

What I use nowadays to secure my bike is altogether more subtle. I simply present the bike as broken, the front wheel turned at a crazy angle different to the handlebars. This is done by a nifty piece of Swiss engineering called an n'lock (sic; all lc) which unlocks the handlebar from the steerer, thus making the bike unrideable. There's also a cable inside the handlebar that wraps around whatever you can find that plugs into the n'lock (which incorporates its own stem) and is unlocked with one twist of the key, but I rarely bother with it; there is also a longer loose cable with a loop at one end and the locking pin at the other but I don't even carry it. You can see the n'lock and its cables in action he
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index....18768#msg18768
Very few people here drive trucks that they can boost even a broken bike onto and a rideaway thief dumb enough not to notice that the bike is broken will be planted face first into the tarmac within a couple of paces. Here are some unfortunate experiences of my own when I forgot the n'lock was in operation:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index....21571#msg21571

Deep wisdom found on the net:

1. Pqrst Zxerty says:
"Soon your locks are worth more than your bike that they cut throu your bike frame to steal the locks."

2. regular everyday normal modafuka says:
"I bought someone from a poor country to stand by my bike when I'm shopping.."

Andre Jute
70% of bikes stolen in France are stolen to order from people's homes
Old August 19th 19, 02:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 11:54:07 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 13:46:11 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

The missing tool is an 8mm socket with common 1/4in drive stub on the
back, useful for changing gears on a Rohloff HGB if the cable breaks,
which hasn't happened to me in ten years, nor to anyone I know, but
better to be prepared.

If you remove the 8mm socket from your tool kit, the Rohloff gear hub
will surely break. I've never torn apart a Rohloff hub, but I suspect
that you really don't want to rebuild the hub during a ride or race.

Rohloff provides all the necessary information, but for most people it makes more sense to return the hub to Germany.

My problem is actually too much leverage rather than too little. My
bike is steel, not plastic, but 2-6Nm torque ratings abound, and the
more expensive the component, the lower the permitted torque. There's
even one oil-retention stud with a torque rating of 0.5Nm, I kid you
not. I do it up finger-high, which is probably already 2Nm.

You could add a torque wrench or torque indicator to your tool kit. I
have a good feel for how much torque is necessary and is being
applied. However, many people do not, due to arthritis or peripheral
neuropathy in the finger tips. I suppose a torque wrench would help:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Drive-Bike-Torque-Wrench-Spanner-Set-Hex-Star-Bit-Fixing-Tool-2-14Nm/183791045377
AFAIK, nobody makes a bicycle tool that includes a torque wrench.

I have two torque wrenches in my bicycle kit, and several others in other toolkits. The two bicycle ones are a small bicycle specific model, BBB BT-73 https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...-73&cat=direct -- same as your recommendation right down to the box on your example because the current BBB box is more recent -- and a big old truck-type that I used on my vintage Bentleys and which is good for fixing on bicycle cranks, 30Nm by brushing it with your pinky.

...death, and other inconveniences.

Heh-heh!

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Andre Jute
You're wicked, Jeff Liebermann
Old August 19th 19, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

Without cutting edges and fire we're just really weak apes with high
self esteem and lots of team spirit.

The only thing in there that I've used recently is my sun visor.

I once badly needed the band-aid in my first-aid kit. That was many
years ago.

(Ever try to open a toolkit with one hand held high above your head?)

I don't remember trying that. I have noticed that the bloody (no,
literally) band-aid packets seem to be much harder to open one handed
than they used to be. Not sure whether that's due to falling standards,
advancing personal decrepitude, or a failure of memory.
Old August 19th 19, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-08-18 10:35, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 7:59:40 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

Maybe because up to 40% of my rides happen on an MTB and rough
turf. Everything that isn't solidly bolted or cinched on flies
off.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

The Topeak has a plastic attachment that sometimes can vibrate the
cross-seatbar attachment off. But because of the size of the bag it
cannot rotate the bag into any position in which it could shake off.
I use them on everything now.

There is another method that has a locking bar that is almost
impossible to release even when you know how. Those work well too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKBROS-MT...8IAF 5UbXMEow

I found this kind of plastic latch to eventually break off on the MTB if
their are used in a "rigid" way, meaning without a strap in line with it.

Old August 23rd 19, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/19/2019 7:50 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

I found this kind of plastic latch to eventually break off on the MTB if
their are used in a "rigid" way, meaning without a strap in line with it.

I agree. I don't like these plastic latches. Straps are more time
consuming but more reliable.
Old October 28th 19, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 23:12:55 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

The seat bag toolkit went missing on my bike after 30-odd years.

So did the tookit lovingly documented in

http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/BIKE_KIT/BIKEROLL.HTM

I was foolish enough to rely on bungee cords to hold it to the outside
of a pannier. It *still* hasn't regenerated.

One of the Rema boxes was a first-aid kit; I forget what was in the
other. Used to be the original contents, plus chalk and whatnot, but
the picture shows a Park Tools patch kit.

The tool between the combination wrenches and the patch-kit pocket was
a pair of "gas pliers", miniature slip-joint pliers that I saw for
sale only once in my entire life.

Those are double-ended offset screwdrivers in the pocket between the
tire-lever pocket and the leftover-space pocket.

---------------

Today I discovered that I still have a patch kit in my tool bag, and
it reminded me of this post. A patch kit is of little use when one
has no tire irons -- and little tubes of glue, even when factory
sealed, don't last forever.

When my maximum radius is ten or fifteen miles, a cell phone is
sufficient for taking care of flat tires. But there are two spare
valve caps and a tube of wound disinfectant in there too, so I guess
I'll continue to carry it. And I used the other extra item yesterday,
when I left my debit card in my other pants.

(All the fun goes right out of a shopping trip when I have no debit
card, even though I had more than enough cash for more than I can fit
into my panniers.)

Other items in the bag:

Hah! There *are* tire irons, wrapped up in a paper towel so I'd be
forced to get a towel out before getting my hands too dirty to put
into my pocket. To the mushroom basket in the newly-cleaned bike-
accessory cupboard.

Hmm . . . I didn't take everything out of the mushroom basket when I
cleaned. There are no doubt some more surprises. I did take
everything out of the old Bell Biker and the basket of reflectors.

A pair of old black knee hose puzzled me for a moment. Those are to
hold newspaper sleeves in place if I need to put windbreakers on my
feet.

A sun visor to wear in glaringly-illuminated big-box stores. I never
remember to take it in with me because it's so inconvenient to open a
drawstring bag looped to the rack and bungeed down. I've been looking
for a saddle bag, but all I can find is under-saddle bags. I'm not a
waxed-cotton fan, but I even looked at Rivendell. Not only are the
bags waxed cotton and absurdly expensive, all of them are meant to
substitute for panniers.

Just checked again. They do have an extra-small bag for $78, but it
requires saddle loops; I need one that can hang from the rails.

Perhaps my new saddle will have loops.

A sample bottle of Eucerin dry skin lotion for cleaning grease off my
hands. I also carry a lip-salve box of A&D Ointment in the right rear
pocket of my jersey.

A pencil and a cable tie, recently added.

A ten-millimeter Craftsman combination wrench.

A six-inch Crescent brand crescent wrench.

A bobbin of nylon thread in a "pill pouch" plastic bag. I used to
carry a bobbin of WWII linen button-and-carpet thread, but haven't
seen it in thirty years, and have no idea what became of it. (We once
used a good bit of the linen string to tie down a trunk lid.) I was
very glad to find this small spool of strong thread even though I'd
have to multiple it to use it as string.

I've also found that newpaper sleeves are good for tying things
together, and keep a few neatly-folded sleeves between the layers of
newspaper in my insulated pannier.

Two sweat rags, one with a brass safety pin stuck into it and two
paper clips strung on the pin. I just fetched a matching pin and
added it, in case I need to pin my pants.

A sweat rag is a sixteen-inch square torn from an old pillow case. I
once tied a white one around my ankle to replace a safety pin that had
fallen out. It worked very well, but people kept asking how I'd hurt
myself.

These rags are both chambray, in memory of the time I was riding on a
sidewalk that ducked under Pike Lake and didn't come up on the other
side of the driveway. By then it was miles to the previous
intersection, and only a few feet to the end of the flood, so I waded
through, then used a chambray sweat rag to wipe off sand and dry my
feet before putting my shoes back on.

I see that Wikipedia confuses Chambray with Cambric. Cambric is a
very fine fabric akin to batiste; Chambray is what "blue collar"
shirts were made from.

Now the bag, somewhat neater, is back on the bike.

Once I saw folding pliers so cute that I bought them without, at the
time, a reason. I put them into the folding-scissor pocket of my
wallet so they wouldn't get lost on the way home, and they have been
there ever since. I used them just yesterday, when the jump ring
holding my tape measure to my key ring gave way to my habit of using
the tape measure as a handle to pull the keys out of my pocket. I
couldn't persuade the lobster-claw clasp to enter the thick, small
link of the chain, so I mangled the jump ring.

I also remember unfolding the knife blade in one handle of the pliers
once. I should review the other tools in case I need one sometime:
A wee teeny philips-head screwdriver, a slot-head screw driver, and a
nail file.

I've got fingernail clippers on my key ring, so I don't think I'll
ever need any of those things.

Also on the key ring: a bike key, a house key, a safety pin, a pocket
knife, a keychain knife featuring a screwdriver/cap lifter suitable
for cleaning my cleats, folding scissors (after the bike key, my
most-used tool), and a bunch of frequent-shopper cards.

The safety pin is in memory of the time I tried to take a nap on a
very narrow bench in the warming bus and my car keys fell out of my
pocket. My husband, who had come to the fire on an engine, lent me
his, and the firemen who cleaned the bus on the fillowing day found
mine. Since I have better pockets now, I don't actually pin my keys
in, except for the church keys. Changing a couple of dozen locks
would be *very* expensive.

In addition to the pliers and a larger pair of scissors, my wallet
contains a sewing kit that includes a single-edge razor blade.

Sunday, 27 October 2019

And there's a band-aid in my notebook. Also two copies of my list of
medications, a list of phone numbers, and a slip of paper with my
name, address, and phone number on it. That last saves spelling
things phonetically.

I carried a knife to church today. I don't usually bother with my key
ring, but just carry lipstick, A&D, sunscreen, golf pencils, church
keys, cell phone, and my pocket purse. The church has a
fully-equipped kitchen where I can find knives and scissors. Today I
wanted to pick some peppers on the way home, so I took the knife I
carry in my slopping-around pants. Half the blade is scalloped for
cutting tough weeds and pepper stems.

Everything I carry contains a few sandwich bags in a "pill pouch" bag,
which fits nicely among business cards and plastic cards. And in
snack bags tucked between the layers of my insulated pannier are
larger bags, including gallon bags for when I go to Duck Down and
Above and want to take the box off something that isn't individually
wrapped. I think I'll put some two-gallon bags in there too, if I
ever get another Wednesday e-mail telling me what's available on
Friday.

There are also twist-ties in my wallet and in the snack bag of bags,
but I no longer bother with them in my notebook; they tend to fall out
or get in the way.

Old October 28th 19, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

The seat bag toolkit went missing on my bike after 30-odd years.

So did the tookit lovingly documented in

http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/BIKE_KIT/BIKEROLL.HTM

I was foolish enough to rely on bungee cords to hold it to the outside
of a pannier. It *still* hasn't regenerated.

One of the Rema boxes was a first-aid kit; I forget what was in the
other. Used to be the original contents, plus chalk and whatnot, but
the picture shows a Park Tools patch kit.

The tool between the combination wrenches and the patch-kit pocket was
a pair of "gas pliers", miniature slip-joint pliers that I saw for
sale only once in my entire life.

How miniature I see 4" slip joint pliers for sale
https://www.jbtools.com/k-tool-53004-slip-joint-pliers-4-long-chrome-finish-with-vinyl-grips/

I have a 4" adjustable wrench, with a handle designed to be light, as
well, not easy to find https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32878606646.html.

What do you carry in your toolkit? Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 73 June 8th 08 10:48 PM
Unicycle Toolkit ddf Unicycling 31 August 24th 07 10:56 PM
Pocket knife toolkit Dieter Britz Techniques 5 January 13th 06 11:27 AM
Uni Toolkit tahognome Unicycling 20 October 25th 05 01:55 AM
Bikeability Toolkit Peter McCallum Australia 8 July 28th 05 04:30 AM