I need some ideas for a talk! Quick!

Old May 1st 05, 08:15 AM
GizmoDuck

Default I need some ideas for a talk! Quick!

I've been invited to give a talk at the 'Cycle Aware Wellington'
(http://www.mountainbike.co.nz/politics/caw/) AGM. It's kind of crept
up on me and now I realise that I only have 2 days to get it prepared
It's on Tuesday at 6pm!

Anyway, I need some ideas on what to talk about. I was going to do my
usual 'throw up lot's of pretty pictures" and talk gibberish routine,
but apparently there is no Powerpoint facilities available- so I'll just
have to talk off the top of my head .

So some ideas please......

--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

Old May 1st 05, 09:35 AM
jagur

bicycle's fall in 2 directions (left and right) a uni falls in any
direction......bring that up. most of the curious cyclists i talk to
love that topic.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Old May 1st 05, 10:54 AM
sarah.miller

If you can take more than one uni along go through the reasons for the
differences in them. your coker is pretty special afterall and very
different to a nippy little 20 inch for playing hockey or a muni/trials
uni.

the talk I did the other minth, I took along souvenirs of unicons and
otehr events and invited people to take a look at the end. I also took
some pictures on the lap top and used that to show pictures to people
in small groups during coffee.

I ran through a brief history of unicycling, and focused on the British
unicycle team at international events in the last 6 years. My talk was
to a group of mainly elderly ladies... none of them wanted to try a uni
out, tho I did offer them the chance. You might do well with a more
techy veiw as your talking to cyclists.

As part of my talk I demoed freemounting, idleing ,riding and skipping.
The skipping really impressed them!

Sarah

--
sarah.miller - unicycist

South West Unicycle Meet
May 21st 2005. Ashburton, Devon, UK
www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

Old May 1st 05, 11:12 AM
GizmoDuck

All good suggestions! I might bring along a TV set and maybe show some
Unicycle DVD's afterwards. Thanks.

By the way Sarah, what's a unicycist?

Ken

Old May 1st 05, 05:29 PM
johnfoss

Great ideas from Sarah. Try to get into the heads of your audience. What
do they need to know about unicycling? Some have probably seen a bit,
some probably have no idea what we do, and some want to at least try
one.

Others may have tried one in the past. Make sure they understand that 5
minutes or less is a really bad example of learning to ride a
unicycle.

So along with Sarah's ideas, you could even do a quick sample lesson
with a volunteer. This way everyone can see what it's like to start out,
and how to spot a beginner.

If there's room for that, there might also be room for you to do a bit
of riding to show the behaviors of a unicycle as well, such as the easy
ability to go backwards, turn on one spot, and idle.

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old May 3rd 05, 10:19 AM
GizmoDuck

Thanks for the tips John/Sarah/Jagur....

I think I broke one of the big rules about giving speeches and talked
too much!!! Blah blah blah blah freestyle blah blah hockey blah blah.
Never mind, Joe and Rowan helped me salvage the talk and the demo
afterwards turned out pretty well. I'll do better next time

Cheers guys,

Ken