lickton's gets no more business from me!

Old April 21st 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
walter

Default lickton's gets no more business from me!

i ordered a single campy lock-ring from lickton's. shipping was $6.
alot, but whatever.

receive the lock-ring a week or so later, strapped to the back of a
turtle...and the envelope indicated shipping cost was an actual $0.82.

i understand shipping has labour costs, material costs, etc. but a
631% markup is ludicrous, so wrote an unpleasant email to their
customer-support address saying i thought it was ludicrous and that if
they charge a premium for shipping, they should at least use some sort
of premium class of expedited shipping (i.e., postal priority, fedex
ground, ups). also told them that i'd share my experiences on the
online forums i frequent. clearly not the best tack to take, but i was
tired and grumpy after a +3hr ride as i hadnt eaten yet. but whatever.

their reply was, ahem, perhaps even more unkind with a load of
rationalization and justification. and further try to justify that
because they need to subsidize the shipping costs on kryptonite locks.

hmmm...lemme seee he shipping a 20gram lockring...walk over to the
bin, pick it out, stuff envelope, print out invoice/label, stick to
envelop, print out postage, drop in mailbox. i do that all the time
and it takes me a minute or two.

clearly, these guys are running a crappy shop and in over their heads
if they seriously believe a they can justify such a huge markup on the
basis of time and materials. and this douchebag "curt" is a jackass
who knows nothing at all about customer service.

walter

Get a grip, Walter. Did you know shipping is about more than the
actual
cost. It's about the time and materials, also? Did you know it
actually takes more time to process a small item than a large item?

Shipping is not a profit center, at least it's not in this store. If
you compare our shipping rates you will find out we're pretty darn
competitive. Try this: buy a Kryptonite New York U-Lock from us. You
won't hear us crying that it costs us more to ship than we charge for
shipping. Sorry to offend you, but your rant was far more offensive
than my reply. --Curt at Lickton's

Curt + 1
Walther 0

Tell ya what, Walter, go get me a shiney sharp object from your
kitchen drawer. Put it in an envelope. Make sure it's not going to
pierce the packaging. Put my address on the envelope. Now take it to
the post office and pay the postage.

Tell me that you'll do that for a stranger for less than six bucks.
--
zk

[...]

Having performed lower management, my opinion is that Zoot is correct,
and Walter Manning is off base.

This post will NOT discourage me from ordering from Lickton's.

Old April 25th 08, 09:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

[snip Walter's anti-Lickman's rant]

Tell ya what, Walter, go get me a shiney sharp object from your
kitchen drawer.

I recommend a grapefruit knife.

I've ridden all over town in my quest for the Perfect
Grapefruit Knife. I want an old-style one, with
wooden scales + brass rivets on the handle, like an
old-style paring knife (of which I have plenty.)

Heck, I'll trade a wood-handled paring knife for a
wood-handled grapefruit knife.

I've temporarily settled for a lumpy, plastic-handled
doomajigger from that up-market kitchen shop in
Oakridge Mall.

Oh, well. The dollar stores are rife with grapefruit
/spoons/, which are the cat's pajamas for grapefruit
afficionados. They also purvey long-handled soda/float
spoons, which can be quite useful.

Actually, I'm not griping. My quest for the Perfect
Grapefruit Knife is largely an excuse to ride & explore.
Same as my quest for the Perfect Teapot. I like headin'
out with at least a goal, if not a definite destination.
I enjoy prospectin'.

Perhaps if Walter had ridden around in search of his
Campy lockring from a bricks-&-mortar shop, he'd be
a lot happier.

What's so special about a /Campy/ lockring anyways?
(I'm assuming bottom bracket, not headset.)

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old April 25th 08, 10:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
Donald Munro

Tom Keats wrote:
What's so special about a /Campy/ lockring anyways? (I'm assuming bottom
bracket, not headset.)

Cassette presumably ?
Old April 26th 08, 10:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Donald Munro writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
What's so special about a /Campy/ lockring anyways? (I'm assuming bottom
bracket, not headset.)

Cassette presumably ?

ISTM Ritchey makes Campagnolo-compatible stuff,
and there're plenty of Ritchey on-line/mail-order
suppliers.

I dunno what they'd charge for S & H.

cheers,
Tom

Old April 25th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
SMS

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

[snip Walter's anti-Lickman's rant]

Tell ya what, Walter, go get me a shiney sharp object from your
kitchen drawer.

I recommend a grapefruit knife.

I've ridden all over town in my quest for the Perfect
Grapefruit Knife. I want an old-style one, with
wooden scales + brass rivets on the handle, like an
old-style paring knife (of which I have plenty.)

"http://www.ablekitchen.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BH-573815&Click=8779"

$34.93 for 12 of them.
Old April 25th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
Carl Sundquist

"SMS" wrote in message
t...
Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

[snip Walter's anti-Lickman's rant]

Tell ya what, Walter, go get me a shiney sharp object from your
kitchen drawer.

I recommend a grapefruit knife.

I've ridden all over town in my quest for the Perfect
Grapefruit Knife. I want an old-style one, with
wooden scales + brass rivets on the handle, like an
old-style paring knife (of which I have plenty.)

"http://www.ablekitchen.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BH-573815&Click=8779"

$34.93 for 12 of them.

How much is shipping?

Old April 25th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
dvt

Carl Sundquist wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
t...
Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

[snip Walter's anti-Lickman's rant]

Tell ya what, Walter, go get me a shiney sharp object from your
kitchen drawer.

I recommend a grapefruit knife.

I've ridden all over town in my quest for the Perfect
Grapefruit Knife. I want an old-style one, with
wooden scales + brass rivets on the handle, like an
old-style paring knife (of which I have plenty.)

"http://www.ablekitchen.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BH-573815&Click=8779"

$34.93 for 12 of them.

How much is shipping?

That was *funny*. Laugh out loud funny. Thanks, Carl.
Old April 26th 08, 09:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Carl Sundquist" writes:

"SMS" wrote in message
t...
Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

[snip Walter's anti-Lickman's rant]

Tell ya what, Walter, go get me a shiney sharp object from your
kitchen drawer.

I recommend a grapefruit knife.

I've ridden all over town in my quest for the Perfect
Grapefruit Knife. I want an old-style one, with
wooden scales + brass rivets on the handle, like an
old-style paring knife (of which I have plenty.)

"http://www.ablekitchen.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BH-573815&Click=8779"

$34.93 for 12 of them.

How much is shipping?

I'd rather ride there and get it myself.

And I only need one.

Chances are I'd have to pay customs/duty on it, too.

Oh, well.

A good grapefruit knife is worth it.

So's a good, adventurous ride.

cheers,