More on Bow Roundabout

Old November 20th 11, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default More on Bow Roundabout

Simon Mason wrote:
On Nov 20, 10:12 am, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

It's more that fatalities among car occupants are so common as not to
excite comment. If a MrCheerless clone decided to post a wank to the
driving group every time a car occupant was killed or seriously
injured, it would be more or less a full-time job.

Surely Cheerless could do both jobs couldn't he?
At the risk of breathing life into the near dead motoring newsgroup
that is.

I don't have time for that, I don't work for BP you know!

Old November 20th 11, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Default Apology (Was: More on Bow Roundabout)

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 01:26:33 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 19:12:24 +0000, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

snippety

I just dropped it in the killfile.

What we actually need is for some of Medjobs' former friends in the
DIY froup to contact him privately with some sage advice, and to strip
away the much-abused cloak of anonymity from JMS (which is underway).

Guy

I forgot to tell people: Porky - in his usual underhand way - suggested that
someone else complain to Giganews for me using different posting names - he
even gave the abuse address fore them to use

He then complained himself - thinking I would think it could have been anyone.

Unfortunately they ****ed up and sent me half of *his* email to them saying
that he was complaining about a post I made where I had posted as "Guy Chapman
".

I explained the situation, and they seemed quite happy.

I cannot understand why he is so despised :-)

--

Total number of posts to URC from
IP Address:80.254.146.36 over 6 years = 7

Guy Chapman : 5
Lou Knee: 2

Coincidence?
(Guy Chapman Dell Magnet)
Old November 20th 11, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 20/11/2011 15:31, Simon Weaseltemper wrote:

On 20/11/2011 14:45, JNugent wrote:

You *didn't* read it, did you, you bad lad?

No I didn't I just read the bit about all green
Please accept my apologies for any embarrassment or annoyance caused.

No problem. And no embarrassment or annoyance.
Old November 20th 11, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:42:17 -0000, "Zapp Brannigan"
wrote:

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 02:19:52 -0000, "Zapp Brannigan"

It's really quite worrying how the popular discourse manages to deny and
disenfranchise these forgotten victims, purely on the grounds that they
met
their death in a vehicle which is not approved of by the blogging
chatterati. I think I might start a ghost car campaign.

It's more that fatalities among car occupants are so common as not to
excite comment. If a MrCheerless clone decided to post a wank to the
driving group every time a car occupant was killed or seriously
injured, it would be more or less a full-time job.

Mmmm - car drivers die all the time, and it's not really newsworthy. But if
a cyclist is harmed, it is so unusual that the political / blogosphere /
whatever swarms with debate and recrimination. I accept that as a logical
explanation, and I can't think of a plausible alternative.

But I can't see how that view co-exists with the claim that cyclists are
given less regard than motorists. It seems to demonstrate quite the
opposite.

There are several things going on at once.

Cyclist fatalities are rare, but the "safety" mob consider cycling to
be horribly dangerous so they exploit them.

Drivers experience strong cognitive dissonance when faced with the
obvious fact that bikes are a pretty good way to get around towns,
which leads them to actively seek out reasons for not cycling - again,
the "safety" angle is exploited.

In car v. car crashes, it's usually one or other of the car occupants
who is injured. In car v bike crashes, even though these are usually
the fault of the driver, it is almost always (as in I can't think of a
counter example at all) the cyclist who is injured or killed.

On the roads, road engineers give precedence to motor traffic. Where
cycle facilities exist they are the first thing to go when space, time
or money runs out. As soon as there is any conflict between motor
traffic and cyclists, even when building cycle provision the bikes
almost always lose out (as perfectly exemplified by the whole of Bow
Road, in fact).

That's not intended to be an exhaustive list.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
Old November 20th 11, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:25:04 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

The news comes as around 200 cycling campaigners held a vigil for the
victims - Brian Dorling, 58, and a 34-year-old woman - at 18:00 GMT at
the Bow Roundabout.

Looked more like a hundred to me, but people did come and go and there
were two or three knots of cyclists round the edges.

The report here is of 200.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWj7oQBImCQ
Old November 20th 11, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:33:02 +0000, Judith wrote:

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 07:17:17 +0000 (UTC), Peter Keller
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:27:59 +0000, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:

Not surprisin. A push bike isn't a viable form of transport.

A push bike is a very viable means of transport for many things.

I assume that you meant children - unless you had other things in mind.

You assume what you like ****wit.

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old November 20th 11, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 15:18:13 +0000, Judith wrote:

Porker and Piglet

The salivary secretions of the leech contain hirudin, an anticoagulant,
and other substances that promote blood flow.

--

snip

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old November 20th 11, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 15:07:39 +0000, Judith wrote:

Hello Porker

The medicinal leech (Hirudo medicinalis), a European freshwater leech
once used by physicians to bleed patients suffering from almost any
ailment, are now used to remove pooled blood from under skin grafts and
other reconstructive surgeries, to treat bruises (such as black eyes),
and to treat some osteoarthritis.

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old November 20th 11, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 16:02:58 +0000, Judith wrote:

I forgot to tell people: Porky

Certain small leeches of the E Mediterranean region may enter the bodies
of humans and animals through drinking water and lodge as parasites in
the mouth or the respiratory passages.

--

snip

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old November 20th 11, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:35:37 +0000, Judith wrote:

You must mean in the ****wit stakes.

It is a very greast honour to be ****wited by the anthropophagee judith.

--

snip

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.

More on the Bow roundabout situation Simon Mason UK 0 November 19th 11 10:39 AM
Bow Roundabout video Bertie Wooster UK 5 November 18th 11 11:28 PM
The Magic Roundabout TrailRat UK 13 November 6th 08 05:52 PM
More Age: Danger in a roundabout way cfsmtb Australia 3 October 2nd 06 11:47 PM
New roundabout idea Tony Raven UK 31 November 13th 03 07:04 PM