Human food used to make car fuel while people abroad starve.

Old March 9th 12, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Default OT Human food used to make car fuel while people abroad starve.

On 09/03/2012 06:59, Doug wrote:
On Mar 8, 6:46 pm, Tony wrote:
On 08/03/2012 06:48, Doug wrote:

They feed it to animals too! Meat eaters take note.

"An East Yorkshire biofuel plant has told Yorkshire and Lincolnshire
farmers that its use of locally-produced wheat will boost their
businesses.

Sounds good.

The area is one of the country's biggest producers of wheat, currently
used for animal feed.

Vivergo at Saltend, near Hull, said it aimed to use 1.1m tonnes of
wheat per year to make renewable fuel.

The high starch content of the region's wheat makes it ideal for
bioethanol, the company said.

Farmer and National Farmers' Union representative Ian Backhouse said:
"To have a customer on our doorstep taking the volumes of wheat
they're talking about is really good news for local farmers."..."

So another plus.

"...Up to 5% of bioethanol can currently be blended with regular fuel
for use in any petrol-based car engine but this may increase to 10% to
meet renewable energy targets, according to the AA..."

Mo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-17288044

-- .
Feed people not cars.

But the wheat is not at present used for people.

If it wasn't fed to cars it would be used for people.

But your post says " currently used for animal feed.". Try to read what
you post.

But more to the point, are you saying that the farmers are cyclists, or
the animals are cyclists, or the plant owners are cyclists, if none of
these then why post it to a cycling NG?

Because this newsgroup is infested by lots of motorists, some of whom
also pretend to be cyclists, and as motorists they pose a potential
threat to vulnerable cyclists.

So you agree that your post is nothing to do with cycling.

-- .
Feed people not cars.

Old March 10th 12, 03:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 09:09:50 +0000, Mrcheerful wrote:

Doug wrote:
On Mar 8, 1:50 pm, thirty-six wrote:
On Mar 8, 6:48 am, Doug wrote:

[...]

It's pushed up the cost of green barley for which barley malt has
followed and helped push up the cost of our national staple food,
beer.

Yes prices the starving millions can't afford.

Doug.

The starving millions in other coutries are largely a result of too much
health care resulting in too many children surviving. The only answer
is either stop the 'health' care, or stop them breeding. Get the
numbers down and they will be able to survive on the resources they
actually have.

I am sorry to say I agree with you.
As an extension, environmental and posssible climatic changes cannot be
overcome without reducing the population. If the CO2 emisions - Global
Warming scenario is true, then we can only ameliorate harmful effects by
reducing -- drastically -- CO2 emissions, by at least 75%
Maybe this will happen anyway as oil dries up.

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old March 11th 12, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Mar 8, 6:48 am, Doug wrote:

[...]

In some countries people are voluntarily having fewer children but
that poses problems too, with a rising elderly and retired population.
Who will do the work?

It is difficult to avoid thinking 'WE ARE ALL DOOMED' as a species, or
maybe enough people will die of starvation, disease, flooding etc., as
a natural self-limiter to put things right in the end.

Doug.

Old March 12th 12, 03:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

said:
"To have a customer on our doorstep taking the volumes of wheat
they're talking about is really good news for local farmers."..."

"...Up to 5% of bioethanol can currently be blended with regular
fuel for use in any petrol-based car engine but this may increase
to 10% to meet renewable energy targets, according to the AA..."

Mohttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-17288044

-- .
Feed people not cars.

It's pushed up the cost of green barley for which barley malt has
followed and helped push up the cost of our national staple food,
beer.

Yes prices the starving millions can't afford.

Doug.

The starving millions in other coutries are largely a result of too
much health care resulting in too many children surviving. Â*The only
answer is either stop the 'health' care, or stop them breeding. Â*Get
the numbers down and they will be able to survive on the resources
they actually have.

I am sorry to say I agree with you.
As an extension, environmental and posssible climatic changes cannot be
overcome without reducing the population. Â*If the CO2 emisions -
Global Warming scenario is true, then we can only ameliorate harmful
effects by reducing -- drastically -- CO2 emissions, by at least 75%
Maybe this will happen anyway as oil dries up.

In some countries people are voluntarily having fewer children but that
poses problems too, with a rising elderly and retired population.
Who will do the work?

This has always been a problem in "undeveloped" societies, which is why
they keep having children. Before modern medicine plagues, famines and
wars kept the population reasonably in check.
And it is alsso a reason why most of the population increase now happens
in "undeveloed" areas.

It is difficult to avoid thinking 'WE ARE ALL DOOMED' as a species, or
maybe enough people will die of starvation, disease, flooding etc., as a
natural self-limiter to put things right in the end.

Doug.

It is difficult to avoid thinking that.
Environmentalist Paul Ehrlich is reported to have written
"If we do not take steps to control our population, nature will do it for
us"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_R._Ehrlich
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Population_Bomb

Old March 14th 12, 05:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

On Mar 9, 7:28*am, wrote:
On Mar 9, 7:01*am, Doug wrote:

On Mar 9, 5:05*am, Simon Mason wrote:

On Mar 8, 6:48*am, Doug wrote:

They feed it to animals too! Meat eaters take note.

"An East Yorkshire biofuel plant has told Yorkshire and Lincolnshire
farmers that its use of locally-produced wheat will boost their
businesses.

It is opening soon,
I have been tapped up for a lab manager's job there as I know the head
gaffer there, but it does not pay as much as when I already get and
they don't have a share scheme or a free pension, so they can go and
whistle.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...-Saltend-bioet....

Good for you, not to want to be associated with such crazy greenwash.

-- .
Feed people not cars.- Hide quoted text -

It was not to do with me being anti greenwash.
If they had waved enough cash in front of me I'd have gone.
And don't forget that I work for a huge oil company as it is - a trip
across the road would really have made me greener at a stroke.

No it would just have made you look greener but not actually be
greener.

Doug.