B**y Borris Bikes and other Cyclists in London

Old November 19th 11, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
SB[_3_]

Default B**y Borris Bikes and other Cyclists in London

Today is Saturday and I have have been walking the streets of London
doing Xmas shopping along with thousands of others. But I live here;
most of the others are tourists. However London is very bad this year
- there are too many cyclists without lights, riding on the pavements,
and jumping the red lights. I used to be a keen cyclist having been
brought up with National Cycling Proficiency at school, and at least
reading the Highway Code. I WAS a keen cyclist - but now no more.

And now-a-days I am gob-smacked at the selfishness of modern cyclists.
This afternoon alone I have nearly been knocked over 5 times by
cyclists without lights jumping the red traffic lights - when they
have been green for me as a pedestrian. If I shout out after they just
miss knocking me over all I get told is "fcuk off!" Nice, This reduces
my sympathy for cyclists to zero.

But the latest outrage are the tourists on Borris Bikes. They don't
give a damn. They haven't a clue how to ride a bike properly, and
frequently ride the wrong way down a one way road if they are not also
on the pavement. Almost everyday I start to cross a one-way street
only to nearly collide with a Borris Bike being ridden the wrong way
along it - the direction from which I DO NOT expect anything to be
coming.

Just recently there have been two unfortunate deaths of cyclists in
London (there are probably many more every month), but it is very hard
to have any sympathy for them when it seems that the majority of
cyclists haven't any concern about mowing pedestrians down, going the
wrong way along one-way streets, cycling on pavements, cycling without
lights and wearing dark clothes (how stupid is that), and telling me
to "fcuk off" for being in their way.

SB..
Old November 19th 11, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 19, 7:33*pm, SB wrote:

Just recently there have been two unfortunate deaths of cyclists in
London (there are probably many more every month),

Not really - there is about 1 cyclist killed every three days in the
entire country.

but it is very hard
to have any sympathy for them when it seems that the majority of
cyclists haven't any concern about mowing pedestrians down, going the
wrong way along one-way streets, cycling on pavements, cycling without
lights and wearing dark clothes (how stupid is that), and telling me
to "fcuk off" for being in their way.

SB

It must be a London thing. Everyone is in a rush and sod everyone
else. This includes red faced cabbies shouting at pedestrians for
being in their way, pedestrians on smart phones walking into the road
without looking and punch ups over parking places. The selfish people
you see on bikes would be just as selfish if they were in cars or on
motorbikes, but unlike drivers, cyclists on average kill zero people
year after year.

--
Simon Mason
Old November 19th 11, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Mrcheerful[_2_]

SB wrote:
[...]

They maim, disable and kill people on a regular basis, but it is nothing to
do with them, ever. It is all down to whoever they hit, never the cyclist.
On the tiny number of occasions they are caught the fines are derisory even
for deliberate running down of pedestrians, they don't even get a momentary
ban. Campaign to your MP to get them registered, trained, licenced,
insured, use legal machines and face prosecution and even banning for
breaking the laws. All wheeled road users should face the same laws and
penalties.

If they were registered then the camera systems could catch transgressors
and pedestrians could report them.

Old November 20th 11, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Jack Taylor

"SB" wrote in message

Today is Saturday and I have have been walking the streets of London
doing Xmas shopping along with thousands of others. But I live here;
most of the others are tourists. However London is very bad this year
- there are too many cyclists without lights, riding on the pavements,
and jumping the red lights. I used to be a keen cyclist having been
brought up with National Cycling Proficiency at school, and at least
reading the Highway Code. I WAS a keen cyclist - but now no more.

And now-a-days I am gob-smacked at the selfishness of modern cyclists.
This afternoon alone I have nearly been knocked over 5 times by
cyclists without lights jumping the red traffic lights - when they
have been green for me as a pedestrian. If I shout out after they just
miss knocking me over all I get told is "fcuk off!" Nice, This reduces
my sympathy for cyclists to zero.

As a responsible cyclist, who stops at traffic lights, carries lights and
fluorescent clothing and reflectors and respects other users of the road
(and pavements) I share your irritation with the morons who give us all a
bad name.

May I recommend that you carry a sturdy walking stick when out as a
pedestrian. When one of these selfish scum ignores the rules of the road
simply insert it between the spokes. It will focus the mind as the cranium
makes contact with the road surface. ;-)

Old November 20th 11, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:25:48 -0000, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

"SB" wrote in message

[...]

You should also ensure that your insurance covers you for assault
causing actual bodily harm. If it doesn't then it's probably best not
to try this as it could be very expensive indeed.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
Old November 20th 11, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Robin[_3_]

You should also ensure that your insurance covers you for assault
causing actual bodily harm. If it doesn't then it's probably best not
to try this as it could be very expensive indeed.

Most people would know that (as a matter of public policy) you cannot
insure against a criminal act carried out intentionally. I do hope the
Lycra is not restricting the blood supply.

But I do agree it is an action best taken by people with little or
nothing to lose. I have, for example, a little list of crossings I
intend to visit with my stout walking stick if I ever have the "best put
your affairs in order a.s.a.p." talk with the doctor.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old November 20th 11, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:27:45 -0000, "Robin" wrote:

You should also ensure that your insurance covers you for assault
causing actual bodily harm. If it doesn't then it's probably best not
to try this as it could be very expensive indeed.

Most people would know that (as a matter of public policy) you cannot
insure against a criminal act carried out intentionally.

That was very much the point I was making. It is the moral equivalent
of using a baseball bat on shoplifters. It might be superficially
satisfying but it is disproportionate and illegal.

Guy
Old November 20th 11, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:27:45 -0000, "Robin" wrote:

You should also ensure that your insurance covers you for assault
causing actual bodily harm. If it doesn't then it's probably best
not to try this as it could be very expensive indeed.

Most people would know that (as a matter of public policy) you cannot
insure against a criminal act carried out intentionally.

That was very much the point I was making. It is the moral equivalent
of using a baseball bat on shoplifters. It might be superficially
satisfying but it is disproportionate and illegal.

Guy

the cyclist won't lose, their own household insurance will cover any losses
they suffer.

Old November 20th 11, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Robin[_3_]

That was very much the point I was making. It is the moral equivalent
of using a baseball bat on shoplifters. It might be superficially
satisfying but it is disproportionate and illegal.

You are not allowing for the possibilty that a walking stick might be
inserted in the spokes by accident. I would hope a jury might bear in
mind that an elderly chap crossing the road with a walking stick cannot
be expected to ensure it does not go through the wheel of a cyclist
ignoring the pedestrian crossing, red lights, one-way road etc. And
given the averaae age of jurors these days I would also hope that some
would understand the difficulties.

They might also share the view that a cyclist riding at speed through
red lights at a pedestrian is morally more akin to an armed robber than
a shoplifter.