LA Beats Out London, NY & All Other Cities In N. America & W. Europefor "Soul Destroying" Traffic

Old November 9th 18, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Default LA Beats Out London, NY & All Other Cities In N. America & W. Europefor "Soul Destroying" Traffic

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...c ontent=asia

Bret Cahill

Old November 10th 18, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 11/10/18 3:08 AM, Bret Cahill wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...c ontent=asia

Bret Cahill

I note Bucharest is third on the list of the world's most congested
cities for additional time spent stuck in traffic during evening peak
hours as a percentage of estimated free flow speed. London does not even
make it to the top 15.
I was in Bucharest (pop only 1.9M) last summer, and I can vouch for how
impossibly congested that city is.
Things will only get worse all round the world unless the human
population reduces drastically.
Old November 10th 18, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 9:44:59 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:

I was in Bucharest (pop only 1.9M) last summer, and I can vouch for how
impossibly congested that city is.

I have driven around there a couple of times and they don't call it the "Paris of the East" for nothing! Terrible for driving in.
Old November 11th 18, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 11/11/18 12:05 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 9:44:59 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:

I was in Bucharest (pop only 1.9M) last summer, and I can vouch for how
impossibly congested that city is.

I have driven around there a couple of times and they don't call it the "Paris of the East" for nothing! Terrible for driving in.

I was in Paris in about 1973. It was really awful, terrible and horrible
then - cars everywhere, impatient drivers, road rage, rear-end
collisions, the works.
Bucharest seemed even more congested with long periods of traffic at a
standstill.
I was again in Paris about 6 years ago, and what a transformation! There
seemed to be far fewer cars (whether they are officially discouraged I
don't know) and the drivers seemed much more courteous; waving others
on, giving way often and all that. Traffic lights were rather
irrelevant; cars, pedestrians, bicyclists etc just looked out for each
other and arranged themselves and generally went happily on their way.
And I could cross the Champs-Élysées and Place de l'Étoile on foot;
certainly not possible in 1973.
Old November 12th 18, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

wrote:

[...]

In France in 1973 there where 18000 deaths by motor vehicle. There are
now 3500 but traffic has doubled. That is a big shift in attitude - and
medical response.

Interestingly, the figures have levelled off over the last 10 years,
where the effect of NCAP should be seen. Making people feel too
comfortable, perhaps?
Old November 12th 18, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom.Evans

On 12/11/2018 08:59, TMS320 wrote:

In France in 1973 there where 18000 deaths by motor vehicle. There are
now 3500 but traffic has doubled. That is a big shift in attitude - and
medical response.

Interestingly, the figures have levelled off over the last 10 years,
where the effect of NCAP should be seen. Making people feel too
comfortable, perhaps?

I seem to recall that there is evidence that people are willing to live
with a certain amount of risk and will adapt their behaviour to the risk
level.

It may also be a mistake to seek easy solutions to minimise KSI figures
if the cost of doing so outweighs the benefits. For instance I'm
unconvinced that the change in behaviour that now requires children to
be driven to school rather than walking on their own was a good move.
Old November 12th 18, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

wrote:

[...]

We saved their Froggy asses in WWII, they would be speaking German if it wasn't for us.

Old November 12th 18, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 11/11/18 12:05 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 9:44:59 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:

I was in Bucharest (pop only 1.9M) last summer, and I can vouch for how
impossibly congested that city is.

I have driven around there a couple of times and they don't call it the "Paris of the East" for nothing! Terrible for driving in.

I was in Paris in about 1973. It was really awful, terrible and horrible
then - cars everywhere, impatient drivers, road rage, rear-end
collisions, the works.

That's funny. I distinctly remember driving in Paris in both 1973 and
1983. The first thing I noticed was that though I expected traffic
inthat capital to be as bad as that in London - it was nowhere near as
bad. Quite free-flowing, in fact. I certainly never encountered any
undue delay or queuing.

Bucharest seemed even more congested with long periods of traffic at a
standstill.

Never been there. Almost certainly never will.

I was again in Paris about 6 years ago, and what a transformation! There
seemed to be far fewer cars (whether they are officially discouraged I
don't know) and the drivers seemed much more courteous; waving others
on, giving way often and all that. Traffic lights were rather
irrelevant; cars, pedestrians, bicyclists etc just looked out for each
other and arranged themselves and generally went happily on their way.
And I could cross the Champs-Élysées and Place de l'Étoile on foot;
certainly not possible in 1973.

Go in August. It's a joy when so much of the traffic is on holiday, and
I expect that all the blue-marked "payant" spaces are still free in August.
Old November 13th 18, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 11/13/18 2:36 AM, JNugent wrote:
Bucharest seemed even more congested with long periods of traffic at a
standstill.

Never been there. Almost certainly never will.

If you get lost and go there please don't use a car if you want to get
anywhere.

I was again in Paris about 6 years ago, and what a transformation! There
seemed to be far fewer cars (whether they are officially discouraged I
don't know) and the drivers seemed much more courteous; waving others
on, giving way often and all that. Traffic lights were rather
irrelevant; cars, pedestrians, bicyclists etc just looked out for each
other and arranged themselves and generally went happily on their way.
And I could cross the Champs-Élysées and Place de l'Étoile on foot;
certainly not possible in 1973.

Go in August. It's a joy when so much of the traffic is on holiday, and
I expect that all the blue-marked "payant" spaces are still free in August.

I was there in June. No problems with traffic. Sure, red lights are just
for decoration, but everyone courteously looks out for everyone.
Old November 12th 18, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 09/11/2018 14:08, Bret Cahill wrote:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...c ontent=asia

Traffic congestion in LA is relative, and seems much worse than it
really is.

The queues and slow traffic along the notorious 405 feel bad, but that's
because the user has an internal expectation that movement along a
freeway should be free-flowing.

The real test is whether you could do 50 or 60 miles in other
conurbations as easily as you can in LA. And you can't.

The other comparator is to compare the freeways with the alternative
surface routes. Imagine - just imagine - having to get from LAX to
Encino along Sepulveda Boulevard...