London to Brighton

Old June 18th 06, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default London to Brighton

First impressions - a very tough day's cycling. Very hot.

The ride was held up at the M25 crossing for the air ambulance to land for
a serious accident.
Later on the air ambulance landed in a field next to me as we inched past
someone being tended to on a stretcher.
Saw also in Haywards Heath someone on a stretcher.
Its making me think twice about doing it next year.

Wonderful cycling festival, and a great day out.
But at the moment I wonder if its worth it.
Old June 18th 06, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

John Hearns wrote:
First impressions - a very tough day's cycling. Very hot.

The ride was held up at the M25 crossing for the air ambulance to land for
a serious accident.
Later on the air ambulance landed in a field next to me as we inched past
someone being tended to on a stretcher.
Saw also in Haywards Heath someone on a stretcher.
Its making me think twice about doing it next year.

Wonderful cycling festival, and a great day out.
But at the moment I wonder if its worth it.

How many tens of thousands? For many it is an extreme exertion. I
wouldn't be surprised to see a similar death rate to the London
Marathon (ca 4 or 5 per year, mostly from heart attacks). If it was hot
there will probably have been a bunch of heat exhaustion cases, as well
as those who lubricate themselves well in teh pubs along the way.

...d

Old June 18th 06, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:09:48 -0700, David Martin wrote:

How many tens of thousands? For many it is an extreme exertion. I wouldn't
be surprised to see a similar death rate to the London Marathon (ca 4 or 5
per year, mostly from heart attacks). If it was hot there will probably
have been a bunch of heat exhaustion cases, as well as those who lubricate
themselves well in teh pubs along the way.

27000 riders. Yes, I agree that with 27000 people there will statistically
be an amount of accidents.
Doesn't stop them being any less frightening.
Old June 19th 06, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

David Martin Wrote:
John Hearns wrote:
[...]

Actually IIRC there have been 7 deaths on the London Marthon, in it's
25 yeras (Peak Performance quote a death rate of 1 in 67000), however
there were the 4 on last years Great North Run, (inquiry continuing)
In general it's cooler in April for the marathon, and apart from those
taking 5 hours, most people have actually done some 'proper' [FGVO]
training

Bryan (who's curretly in training after stupidly got talked into doing
the Berlin Marathon in September)

--
Bryan

London to Brighton CJB UK 33 June 20th 06 11:54 AM
London to Brighton Ride - Help Needed! Paul Turner Rides 0 June 15th 05 11:30 AM
London to Brighton 2005 Ianmel UK 1 November 15th 04 03:27 PM
London to Brighton 2005 Ianmel UK 2 November 15th 04 08:49 AM
London to Brighton Bike ride 2004 debs UK 14 January 18th 04 03:21 PM