Wobbling Lions in the News!!

Old June 25th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Wobbling Lions in the News!!

LONGTIME UNICYCLIST GETS NEW CLUB ON A ROLL
*By Skye Hibbard-Swanson
For the CDT
Blake Ketchum doesn't mind a challenge.*

"My younger brother and I were always very competitive," the
39-year-old soil scientist and State College resident said. "He learned
how to ride a bike at about the same time, and so I had to one-up him
with something."

That something, she decided, was teaching herself to unicycle.

But there was a small problem.

"My dad had just bought me a bicycle, and he wasn't about to buy me a
new toy," Ketchum said. So, "he took a welding torch, cut the fork off
my tricycle and replaced the handlebars with a makeshift seat -- a
two-by-four and a pipe flange. That was my first unicycle. It had a
12-inch wheel and a hard, rubber tire, and it was so funny looking.

"He said, 'If you can ride that, I'll buy you a unicycle.' "

Of course, Ketchum promptly did, and she has been unicycling for 32
years.

Now Ketchum, who moved to the area in August to do post-doctoral work,
has set her sights on a new challenge: starting a unicycling club in
State College.

"After I finished graduate school, I decided I needed to take life less
seriously for a little while," she said. "I wanted to do something that
was really just for fun. I saw the beat-up, old unicycle in my basement
and I got it out again, and I knew right away that this was what I
needed to do."

Enough people have expressed an interest in trying it, Ketchum said,
"that I decided to actually try to start a club that was very
beginner-friendly."

And thus, the Wobbling Lions -- the name comes from a "wobble," the
term for a group of unicyclists -- formed. The group meets from 6 to
7:30 p.m. Monday evenings in Orchard Park, off of Blue Course Drive in
State College.

There are no fees to participate, and all ages and experience levels
are welcome. Ketchum has a collection of unicycles that people can use
until they purchase their own.

"I've been the only unicyclist on campus that I've known about for a
while now, so it's good to hear that other folks around here are also
doing it," said club member Matt Bachmann, 29.

He speculated that unicycling draws people in because "it's an uncommon
sort of skill, and a great conversation starter -- kind of like
carrying a puppy."

Ketchum frequently unicycles with her 7-year-old son, Bear. "It's
something that children pick up about the same speed as adults, so if
you're looking for a unique activity to do with your kids, it's a great
thing," she said.

Bear says he would recommend unicycling to other kids. "It's fun -- and
easy."

But it's not always easy. Ketchum admits that unicycling is much harder
than learning to ride a traditional bike.

"It takes about two weeks for an average adult. If you've got
exceptional balance, sometimes less than a week," she said.

The physically demanding aspects of unicycling make it good exercise,
though.

"You can't coast. You're always pedaling. You have to be moving your
arms a lot too, and there's no brakes. Even stopping takes energy out
of you. It's a good core workout, because you're always moving ...
everything," said 19-year-old Kevin O'Brien, who has attended some of
the club meetings.

In addition to wristguards and a helmet, a good attitude is essential
for learning to unicycle. "You have to be stubborn and courageous. You
have to want to do it. And you have to have a sense of humor, maybe
more so than a bike, because you're doing something that many people
find absolutely ridiculous," said Ketchum, whose other hobbies include
fencing and woodworking.

In fact, she said, "it still seems like something that's impossible to
do, and every time I get up on the unicycle, I feel like a bigger
person."

At times, Ketchum literally becomes a bigger person. On this particular
night, she demonstrated the "giraffe," a type of unicycle that is more
than 5 feet high.

However, Ketchum is primarily a distance unicyclist. In August, she
will ride almost 250 miles across Michigan's Upper Peninsula with the
Missing Wheels 2006 tour to benefit children with special needs at
Marquette General Hospital.

Ted Kistler, 41, decided to take up the hobby again after he witnessed
Ketchum's distance unicycling in action.

"We were going on a mountain-bike ride, and she had a unicycle that she
intended to take along the same ride. We all thought she was crazy," he
said.

Now, Kistler said, "I would like to do what I saw her do. I would love
to take it into the mountains."

Ketchum explains that the seeming impossibility of the sport is what
attracts her. "I like doing things that are a challenge physically.
There's always something I can't do on the unicycle."

Indeed, unicycling poses a unique challenge, especially in terms of the
onlookers' reactions.

"One of the first questions people ask is, 'Where's your other wheel?'
" Ketchum said. "Then the second question I get asked is, 'Can you
juggle?' And I can."

Bachmann's heard his share of unicycle quips. "There's a standard
litany of one-liners that you get from folks who see you ride by."

"Nobody gets it, really. Everyone always makes fun of it. They don't
realize that nothing they say hasn't been heard before. They always say
the same things, you know, 'Where's the rest of your bike?' or some
people will hum the circus theme," O'Brien said, breaking into an
impromptu rendition. "I've heard all of it."

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Old June 25th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

podzol wrote:

"Nobody gets it, really. Everyone always makes fun of it. They don't
realize that nothing they say hasn't been heard before. They always say
the same things, you know, 'Where's the rest of your bike?' or some
people will hum the circus theme," O'Brien said, breaking into an
impromptu rendition. "I've heard all of it."

I'm glad thats getting out to the public.

--
TheObieOne3226

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

\"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

\"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
mental

*disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if
you are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i
don't feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where
not everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*

Old June 25th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Great write up. I'm well impressed.

Cathy

--
cathwood

Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old June 25th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Awesome article. It made uni'ing sound fun, but serious, too.

--
steveyo

steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

Old June 26th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Great article and not a single mention of a clown or the circus. Way to
go, Blake

--
Krashin'Kenny

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!
Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old June 26th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Great job!

Congratulations!

Keep up the great work!

Adam

--
JustOneWheel

There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

Old June 26th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Very nice, Blake and co! One of the best written articles I've seen.

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton