heart attacks & cycling...

Old January 11th 08, 12:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Crescentius Vespasianus

Default heart attacks & cycling...

After the heart attack death of Mike
Janelle http://mikejanelle.com/ at age
40 over Thanksgiving, I think it's time
to revisit is cycling dangerous to your
health. We have seen many cases where
pro-cyclists often die of heart attacks
in the 50's and rarely make it past
their 60's, I think someone, somewhere
should really study what cycling does to
the heart. Is it the strain on the
heart, that eventually weakens it, why
does cycling usually lead to a fatal
heart attack? We owe to the fallen, to
find the real answer.
Old January 11th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Jan 11, 5:41*am, Crescentius Vespasianus
wrote:
After the heart attack death of Mike
Janellehttp://mikejanelle.com/at age
40 over Thanksgiving, I think it's time
to revisit is cycling dangerous to your
health. *We have seen many cases where
pro-cyclists often die of heart attacks
in the 50's and rarely make it past
their 60's, I think someone, somewhere
should really study what cycling does to
the heart. *Is it the strain on the
heart, that eventually weakens it, why
does cycling usually lead to a fatal
heart attack? *We owe to the fallen, to
find the real answer.

Still looking for an excuse to give up cycling?
Old January 11th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
di

"Crescentius Vespasianus" wrote in message
After the heart attack death of Mike Janelle http://mikejanelle.com/ at
age 40 over Thanksgiving, I think it's time to revisit is cycling
dangerous to your health. We have seen many cases where pro-cyclists
often die of heart attacks in the 50's and rarely make it past their 60's,
I think someone, somewhere should really study what cycling does to the
heart. Is it the strain on the heart, that eventually weakens it, why
does cycling usually lead to a fatal heart attack? We owe to the fallen,
to find the real answer.

I recently suffered a heart attack which should have killed me. It would
have if it had not been for fellow bike riders who knew CPR. We had just
finished a morning 8 mile ride and was sitting at a local coffee shop and I
just collapsed, no warning, no typical chest pains, or any of the normal
things associated with heart attacks. The only reasons I didn't have major
brain damage according to my Dr. was I was in good shape and probably would
have had the attack years ago if I had not been a rider.

Don't believe that exercise, whether if be cycling, running, or just plain
walking is not going to not help you.

Old January 11th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Crescentius Vespasianus

DI wrote:
[...]

---------------
Moderate exercise is most likely ok, but
what I'm talking about is uber-training,
long endurance rides. I remember
reading about the doomed antarctic
expedition of Ernest Shackleton
1914-1916, when he and his men did some
super human things to survive, but after
they all were eventually rescued, and
went back to England, none lived past
their 50's.
------from wiki
Despite the events of the Endurance
Expedition, Shackleton traveled again to
the Antarctic aboard Quest. Although
some of his former crew members had not
received all of their pay from the
Endurance Expedition, many of them
signed on with their former "boss". The
trip's purpose was to circumnavigate
Antarctica by sea. However, when the
party arrived in Rio de Janeiro,
Shackleton fell ill after a heart
attack. Even so, he refused to return
the ship to England or seek treatment,
and Quest continued south.[27]

On January 4, 1922, the ship arrived off
the coast of South Georgia. In the early
morning hours, expedition member Macklin
was called to Shackleton's cabin and
noticed that he was ill. Macklin
suggested to Shackleton that he "take
things easier in the future", to which
the reply was: "You are always wanting
me to give up something, what do you
want me to give up now?"

These would be the last words spoken by
Sir Ernest Shackleton. A few moments
later, at 2:50 a.m. on January 5, 1922,
he suffered a fatal heart attack at the
age of 47. His men offered to return his
body to Britain; however a message was
received from Shackleton's wife asking
that he be buried in South Georgia. On
March 5, 1922, Ernest Shackleton was
buried at Grytviken, South Georgia.[27][28]
------------
These uber efforts, I think, suck the
life out of you.

Old January 11th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Just A User

Crescentius Vespasianus wrote:
After the heart attack death of Mike Janelle http://mikejanelle.com/ at
age 40 over Thanksgiving, I think it's time to revisit is cycling
dangerous to your health. We have seen many cases where pro-cyclists
often die of heart attacks in the 50's and rarely make it past their
60's, I think someone, somewhere should really study what cycling does
to the heart. Is it the strain on the heart, that eventually weakens
it, why does cycling usually lead to a fatal heart attack? We owe to
the fallen, to find the real answer.

I wonder if a study has been done of percentage of riders who suffer
heart attacks versus runners or walkers or skiers or whatever versus
those who don't exercise at all. If you think that cycling is going to
cause you to have a heart attack then maybe you should stop riding.
Personally I think that the 20+ pounds I lost since taking up cycling is
better for my health than being 20+ pounds heavier. Plus my resting
heart rate is now way low, somewhere between 35 and 40.
Old January 11th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

DI wrote:
[...]

You thought that professional sport was healthy? It's not. Not to speak
of those silly expeditions.

Lou
Old January 11th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Just A User

Bill Sornson wrote:

This is a bunch of horseeee............

hj
lk
plm

bllrrrbbbbbbbbbbbbbb,s,

Bill "someone call 91hjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjzvm vgp'nbkmg ?" S.

WTF?
Old January 11th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Crescentius Vespasianus" wrote in message

Moderate exercise is most likely ok, but what I'm talking about is
uber-training, long endurance rides. I remember reading about the doomed
antarctic expedition of Ernest Shackleton 1914-1916, when he and his men
did some super human things to survive, but after they all were eventually
rescued, and went back to England, none lived past their 50's.

That may of course be skewed by the fact that a lot of them got sent to the
trenches on their return.

cheers,
clive

Old January 11th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Crescentius Vespasianus wrote:
After the heart attack death of Mike Janelle http://mikejanelle.com/ at
age 40 over Thanksgiving, I think it's time to revisit is cycling
dangerous to your health. We have seen many cases where pro-cyclists
often die of heart attacks in the 50's and rarely make it past their
60's, I think someone, somewhere should really study what cycling does
to the heart. Is it the strain on the heart, that eventually weakens
it, why does cycling usually lead to a fatal heart attack? We owe to
the fallen, to find the real answer.

That's an incident. The trend is more to Bartali, Kitching, Anquetil
than Pantani or Coppi.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 11th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

DI wrote:
[...]

Again you mistake the incident for the trend. I know/knew several Bataan
survivors and what about Sir Edmund Hillary? They are more the norm.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How does a heart rate monitor pickup my heart beat and transmits? [email protected] UK 1 February 14th 06 06:02 PM
Times article urban cycling and heart disease Peewiglet UK 53 August 25th 05 11:30 PM
Study Shows LSD Prevents Heart Attacks Tyler Hamillton Racing 0 April 19th 05 04:20 AM
heart attacks? Huw Lynes UK 105 December 10th 04 12:33 AM
HGH and Heart Attacks B. Lafferty Racing 17 August 16th 04 09:43 PM