I was misled

Old June 25th 04, 06:48 PM

Default I was misled

Bill Sorni writes:

http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1310344&l=42227

"So we have an obligation of enormous consequence, an obligation to
guarantee that Saddam Hussein cannot ignore the United Nations. He
cannot be permitted to go unobserved and unimpeded toward his
horrific objective of amassing a stockpile of weapons of mass
destruction. This is not a matter about which there should be any
debate whatsoever in the Security Council, or, certainly, in this
Nation."

John Kerry on Senate floor, 11/9/97.

Yes??? And this was in respect to what? This was not a call to
invade Iraq as you can see from the text. It was a call for the UN
intervention and inspections.

Jobst Brandt

Old June 25th 04, 07:14 PM

Kevan Smith writes:

It has occurred to me, as it should to you, that the intelligence
reports which John Kerry was receiving were not of the same quality
that George Bush was receiving. Indeed, many if not all of his
reports were filtered down through the present administration.
Therefore, how can you believe that the remarks of the two men
should be considered equally when one is the sitting president and
the other is not privy to all of the same information?

It's not like it matters. Both men are committed to continuing the
illegal occupation of Iraq, heaping more misery on a country which
should by rights be getting reparations payments instead. Bush
shouldn't be President; he should be in the dock for war
crimes. This Iraq War is a great national shame.

A recent political cartoon made that clear showing a burned out auto
wreck, labeled Iraq, with a US soldier giving the keys to an Iraqi
saying "OK, you can drive now." The USA cannot easily extricate
itself from the debacle and there are no easy solutions to the matter
of solving the enormous problems the willful destruction of that
nation has caused.

Well known military documents state that policing a nation after it
capitulates in battle is a task nearly as great as winning the battle.
Under commanders who knew what lay before them our forces sat idly by
as looting and destruction, as great as that caused by our weapons,
went on for weeks, pretending that this was a great surprise. This
occurred under Donald Rumsfeld who, as I, learned about this the role
of military policing and combat in officer's training and subsequent
service:

http://www.defenselink.mil/bios/rumsfeld.html

Iraqis did not come running out to welcome their liberators as our
nation was told would occur. Those who predicted the actual outcome
were put down as enemy sympathizers and the like... the whole mess is
such a sordid story as we lost the support of all the nations who came
to our cause after 9/11... freedom fries and the like.

Fortunately the American people still have friends in the world even
though our administration is universally hated. However we could
change that too in the upcoming election.

Jobst Brandt

Old June 25th 04, 07:18 PM

Scott Johnson writes:

http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1310344&l=42227

Wow, maybe I should start posting press releases from the RNC.

What is it that irritates you so about factual reporting. Maybe you
could point out where there are errors in this report. Facts contrary
to ones beliefs are often so disconcerting that they are suppressed.

Welcome to my killfile.

That is so you won't see what others are saying, I take it. You need
to kill the subject and follow-ups.

Jobst Brandt

Old June 25th 04, 09:01 PM
JP

Mark Hickey wrote in message . ..

For example, when Russian President Vladimir Putin recently told the
press how Russia warned us repeatedly that they had solid evidence
that Iraq was planning to attack the US and US interests abroad after
the 9/11 attacks...

Yes, I'm going to take the word of an ex-KGB officer who is trying to
help Bush get re-elected lest someone else get in there who
disapproves of the Russian death squads in Chechnya.

Guess how the major networks in the US handled it? NOT A FRIGGIN'
WORD. The NY Times and other liberal papers buried the story at the
bottom of an inside page.

The thing that I'm surprised about is that various Bush admin hacks
didn't get all over the Sunday morning news shows with this. On the
contrary, someone, CIA official I believe, said they didn't know what
Putin was referring to. My guess is that if Putin did tell Bush
something, the *whole* story is actually embarassing so Bush can't use
it- maybe something like, Putin told Bush that Iraq was making plans
to attack the US with terrorists if we invaded Iraq.

If you'd rather form an opinion unencumbered by the facts, by all
means follow the links to the propaganda that Jobst posted.

You wouldn't know a fact if it smacked you in the face. Jobst's post
references the St. Petersburg Times and San Francisco Chronicle, and
they reference a response by Tampa International Airport to the 9/11
Commission. Jobst's article is thoroughly footnoted. There are no
holes in it. The flight happened.

So stop lying and trying to say it didn't.

If you'd rather actually know what's going on, I'd suggest starting
with an unbiased compilation like the Drudge Report (recently
determined to be by far less biased than any other news source that
was analyzed). That becomes pretty obvious when you see it...

www.drudgereport.com

Amazing. Drudge is a rumor-monger. Some times he is right, often he is
wrong.

JP
Old June 25th 04, 09:23 PM

Luigi de Guzman writes:

What is it that irritates you so about factual reporting.

I'm not irritated about factual reporting.

I am mildly irritated that rbm is going to be turned into yet
another front for the US Presidential election.

This like other topics we might choose not to read is each reader's
prerogative to skip or not. Off topic trouble arises when within a
thread someone takes advantage of folks who are following the subject
by introducing another agenda such as helmets under tire problems.
That is not what is happening here.

You've been around on the rec.bicycles.* hierarchy much longer than
I have, so I know you won't take kindly to a n00b like me
reproaching you for posting something so blatantly off-topic as
this. But perhaps there are regular NG readers who want to talk
about bicycles and wish not to have the ugliness of the present
electoral campaign intrude upon that discussion?

Those people who disagree with exposing the lies of this
administration failed to read Orwell's 1984 and do not recognize
Newspeak when the see it.

http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/ns_frames.html

They believe the American way is so perfect that if our leader says
it, it must be the truth. Even Dan Quayle was saved by that axiom.

http://www.xmission.com/~mwalker/DQ/

Just remember that GWB had no comment when he was told Ronald Reagan
had died. It took him six hours to get a script from his mentors
before he could give an official statement at midnight from his trip in
Europe. All this stuff is scripted and filtered. Discussing this in
any and all newsgroups is an urgent matter for the survival of our
nation as a democracy as the hatchet man John Ashcroft hacks away at
civil liberties and international law. The ugly brutality of our
administration is a huge blot on the nation. If you follow foreign
news you could see haw bad we look in the eyes of the world. BBC news
is mild compared to other continental news sources. I don't know
what is being said in Asia.

Jobst Brandt

Old June 25th 04, 09:51 PM
Pete

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:37:23 GMT, "Pete" from Road Runner

High
Speed Online http://www.rr.com wrote:

"Kevan Smith" wrote

It's not like it matters. Both men are comitted to continuing the

illegal
occupation of Iraq, heaping more misery on a country which should by

rights be
getting reparations payments instead. Bush shouldn't be President; he

should
be in the dock for war crimes. This Iraq War is a great national shame.

You mean the UN sanctioned "illegal occupation" put in place after GW I?

Do not mislead people. The war was never "UN Sanctioned," and there wasn't

an
occupation until after the war. Pete, I'm ashamed for you. I know you know
better than to lie like that to cover for Bush.

The comment was on the 'continuing the illegal occupation' part.

Which 'occupation' are we talking about continuing?

Pete