No Plastic Hat

Old May 12th 04, 09:17 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default No Plastic Hat

I have said before that I often wear a helmet. With the weather
improving, my recumbent back on the road, light evenings (no need for
a headtorch) and the roads clear and dry, I have been leaving the
plastic hat behind.

The best bit is the ability to scratch my head when one of the poxy
insects which infest the Chilterns around Cholsey lands on it :-)

I freely apologise to anybody to whom I said a helmet was not
uncomfortable. Mine is not bad, but cotton cap is infinitely better
and does just as good a job of keeping the sun out of your eyes.

And one less vote for compulsion, if TRL are watching.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old May 12th 04, 09:51 PM
Danny Colyer

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
I freely apologise to anybody to whom I said a helmet was not
uncomfortable. Mine is not bad, but cotton cap is infinitely better
and does just as good a job of keeping the sun out of your eyes.

A much, much better job on a recumbent, ME. I bought my first proper
cycling cap at the CT Birthday Rides last year and I love it.

url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old May 12th 04, 10:00 PM
Danny Colyer

I wrote:
A much, much better job on a recumbent, ME. I bought my first proper
cycling cap at the CT Birthday Rides last year and I love it.

Bugger, actually I didn't write that. I wrote IME, not ME, and CTC, not
CT. Evidently I still haven't quite got to grips with the shortcut keys
in the Thunderbird spellchecker (I automatically hit alt-A to add a word
to the dictionary, but alt-A is "replace all").

url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old May 13th 04, 09:10 AM
Peter Clinch

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

I freely apologise to anybody to whom I said a helmet was not
uncomfortable. Mine is not bad, but cotton cap is infinitely better
and does just as good a job of keeping the sun out of your eyes.

Yup, having maintained for years to all (including myself) that there's
no real comfort difference I found out I'd been kidding myself. The
chinstrap and the sweatiness on warm days, especially spinning slowly up
big climbs, really does downgrade the riding pleasure.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old May 13th 04, 09:56 AM
MSeries

Peter Clinch wrote:
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

I freely apologise to anybody to whom I said a helmet was not
uncomfortable. Mine is not bad, but cotton cap is infinitely better
and does just as good a job of keeping the sun out of your eyes.

Yup, having maintained for years to all (including myself) that
there's no real comfort difference I found out I'd been kidding
myself. The chinstrap and the sweatiness on warm days, especially
spinning slowly up big climbs, really does downgrade the riding
pleasure.

Pete.

Then on the descent one can't get the wind in the hair.

This is my main reason for not using a helmet and always has been. I started
using one when I was touring in places where one had to use one but here in
the UK I usually choose to leave the lid at home.