Getting more expensive.

Old June 1st 04, 01:00 PM
Simon Mason

Default Getting more expensive.

My "bargain" road bike is now a bit of an albatross. Just dropped it off at
not too local LBS and walked the 6 miles home. They told me that the
Gipiemme wheels I have have caused them a lot of bother as well. They had to
send back 5 sets and the rims are so bad they can't even true them from new.

They said my cracked crank was probably due to overtightening the bottom
bracket bolt. So a set of Campag Sciroccos and new crank is going to set me
back 230 quid. Oh well , it's only money
;-)

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old June 1st 04, 01:33 PM
vernon levy

They said my cracked crank was probably due to overtightening the bottom
bracket bolt. So a set of Campag Sciroccos and new crank is going to set

me
back 230 quid. Oh well , it's only money
;-)

Commiserations.
Sometimes bargains are not lways what they seem. The Carrera mountain bike
that I bought from new needed a new chain set within a year because the
Suntour equipment was too soft and led to chain suck. The rings were not
repalceable so a Deore set was installed along with a new chain and cassette
to ensure minimal premature wear. Thankfully the cost was not as great as
yours though I'm getting there with the front and rear derraileurs bought
for the Galaxy as there's plenty of slop in the mechanisms and I don't want
to leave anything to chance when I do the LeJoG this year.

I'm sure bikes and their ancilliaries were more rubust when I was a lad :-)
There again they were probably over weight and over engineered too.

As I type this I realised that I have spent more in a year on replacement
parts for my bikes than I have in the past three years for my car. In fact I
have spent more on bikes in the past 18 months than I have on my car
including it's purchase but excluding fuel. And I though cycling was cheap!

Vernon
rudely awakend from his complacency about the cheapness of cycling :-)

Old June 1st 04, 01:40 PM
Arthur Clune

Simon Mason wrote:

: They said my cracked crank was probably due to overtightening the bottom
: bracket bolt. So a set of Campag Sciroccos and new crank is going to set me
: back 230 quid. Oh well , it's only money

Have you bought the crankset? I have one you could have cheap if not

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old June 1st 04, 01:49 PM
Simon Mason

"Arthur Clune" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

: They said my cracked crank was probably due to overtightening the

bottom
: bracket bolt. So a set of Campag Sciroccos and new crank is going to set

me
: back 230 quid. Oh well , it's only money

Have you bought the crankset? I have one you could have cheap if not

Thanks Art. They were able to get a left hand Veloce crank on its own, so
it wasn't that expensive. You see, I actually wanted to get the stuff from
the LBS so that they get their cut. I told them I could get the wheels and
crank off the internet and plonk them on their desk and ask them to fit them
for a few quid, but that would be taking the mickey.

--
Simon M.

Old June 1st 04, 01:52 PM
Simon Mason

"vernon levy" wrote in message

As I type this I realised that I have spent more in a year on replacement
parts for my bikes than I have in the past three years for my car. In fact

have spent more on bikes in the past 18 months than I have on my car
including it's purchase but excluding fuel. And I though cycling was

cheap!

I shelled out 500 quid at MOT time and 100 quid on a tyre and now the
brakes want seeing to, so I've still a way to catch up with the car. I'm
just happy I've only one of the damned things, some people I know have 3 or
4 per family!
--
Simon M.

Old June 1st 04, 02:38 PM
Arthur Clune

Simon Mason wrote:

: Thanks Art. They were able to get a left hand Veloce crank on its own, so
: it wasn't that expensive. You see, I actually wanted to get the stuff from
: the LBS so that they get their cut. I told them I could get the wheels and
: crank off the internet and plonk them on their desk and ask them to fit them
: for a few quid, but that would be taking the mickey.

Fair enough. One LH crank is cheap enough.

Arthur

Old June 1st 04, 05:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , vernon levy
') wrote:

I'm sure bikes and their ancilliaries were more rubust when I was a
lad :-) There again they were probably over weight and over engineered
too.

As I type this I realised that I have spent more in a year on
replacement parts for my bikes than I have in the past three years for
my car.

Ditto. Substantially!

.::;===r==\
/ /___||___\____
//==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
//____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
\__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.

Old June 2nd 04, 11:48 AM
Steve

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , vernon levy
') wrote:

I'm sure bikes and their ancilliaries were more rubust when I was a
lad :-) There again they were probably over weight and over engineered
too.

As I type this I realised that I have spent more in a year on
replacement parts for my bikes than I have in the past three years for
my car.

Ditto. Substantially!

.... except for replacing the kingpins every 6 months. With a .sig like
that you really should get out more (:

Steve.
Having just had to replace a pair of Ouzo pro aero forks, the tank's
smarting from lack of money spent.
Old June 2nd 04, 10:05 PM
Simon Brooke

Default The world's most expensive bottle of diesel (was Getting more expensive.)

in message , Steve ')
wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , vernon levy
') wrote:

As I type this I realised that I have spent more in a year on
replacement parts for my bikes than I have in the past three years
for my car.

Ditto. Substantially!

... except for replacing the kingpins every 6 months.

Having just had to replace a pair of Ouzo pro aero forks, the tank's
smarting from lack of money spent.

Hah! This morning I cycled into my local bike shop to pick up 500ml of
RockShox '5 weight' damper oil for the front forks of my Mantra. Ten
quid, thank you, kerching!

Getting it home it looks like diesel, it smells like diesel, it pours
like diesel. But it costs a _lot_ more than diesel... Well, I knew when
I ordered it that '5 weight' oil must be another name for something
fairly familiar, and if I could be bothered to do a bit of research I
could get it a lot cheaper. And I couldn't be bothered to do the
research, so no point complaining now...

And the forks in question are now, 170ml of said precious embrocation
later, working very much better.

;; lovely alternative to rice.

Old June 3rd 04, 09:44 PM
Russ

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message news:29r1p1-

Getting it home it looks like diesel, it smells like diesel, it pours
like diesel. But it costs a _lot_ more than diesel... Well, I knew when
I ordered it that '5 weight' oil must be another name for something
fairly familiar, and if I could be bothered to do a bit of research I
could get it a lot cheaper. And I couldn't be bothered to do the
research, so no point complaining now...

It's the same as motorbike fork oil which can be got cheaper from motor bike
shops.

Russ