Mavic XL Bearing Adjustment

Old March 1st 05, 06:10 AM
Pippen

Default Mavic XL Bearing Adjustment

Just replaced the bearing in my 03' Mavic XL's. Does anybody here know the
proper adjustment techinque? Basically I need to know how tight to tighten
the adjustment plate. I know it needs to be done while clamped in. I think I
have it but the wheels have a little drag on them when I slowly turn them,
is this normal. Is there a website the decribes this process. I could not
find the mtb tech news group.

Thanks,

-p

Old March 2nd 05, 01:52 AM

If you're using the Mavic tool that is shaped like a "C" at the end
with four little prongs on one side, you have the hub adjustment
tightened too much. Back it off a little so there is no resistance or
"drag". There is no specific setting per se, which kinda leaves you
wondering if it's correct. It has worked on my sl's for 3 years. Hope
this helps.

Old March 2nd 05, 03:20 AM
Slack

Have you looked at http://www.mavic.com/downloads/VTT.pdf

--
Slack
Old March 2nd 05, 03:28 AM
Slack

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:20:00 -0800, Slack
wrote:

Well, I guess I should've have looked at it first because it doesn't say
jack :-p

Any Granny Shifter has it right, just back off till you have no more drag,
but not enough that you have play in the bearing. It's a feel thing,
similar to the headset adjustment.
--
Slack
Old March 2nd 05, 03:42 AM
routebeer

Pippen wrote:
Just replaced the bearing in my 03' Mavic XL's. Does anybody here

know the
proper adjustment techinque?

Yes, it's simple. Unclamp your wheels, lay them in your driveway and
proceed to run over them with your car until they are as flat as
pancakes. Finally, throw them in a nearby dumpster and you will have a
pair of mavic wheels as well adjusted as any, if not better.

Old March 2nd 05, 03:16 PM
Pippen

"routebeer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pippen wrote:
Just replaced the bearing in my 03' Mavic XL's. Does anybody here

know the
proper adjustment techinque?

Yes, it's simple. Unclamp your wheels, lay them in your driveway and
proceed to run over them with your car until they are as flat as
pancakes. Finally, throw them in a nearby dumpster and you will have a
pair of mavic wheels as well adjusted as any, if not better.

Is this because they are made by the french?

-p

Old March 2nd 05, 03:17 PM
Pippen

news:1109733897.58dcc6a9fc28e44b41c5e31304028b05@t eranews...
wrote:

Well, I guess I should've have looked at it first because it doesn't say
jack :-p

Any Granny Shifter has it right, just back off till you have no more drag,
but not enough that you have play in the bearing. It's a feel thing,
similar to the headset adjustment.
--
Slack

Thanks for the help. I came to the same conclusion when I read my owners
manual.

-p

Old March 2nd 05, 03:19 PM
Pippen

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you're using the Mavic tool that is shaped like a "C" at the end
with four little prongs on one side, you have the hub adjustment
tightened too much. Back it off a little so there is no resistance or
"drag". There is no specific setting per se, which kinda leaves you
wondering if it's correct. It has worked on my sl's for 3 years. Hope
this helps.

I will give this a try. I usually over tighten things and have to replace
bolts... Thanks.

-p

Old March 7th 05, 02:16 PM
routebeer

Is this because they are made by the french?

I don't think so. I have Mavic components on every one of my bikes.
It's just that Mavic has become a company more concerned with profit
than quality. That's a problem as common to US companies as French
ones. Mavic's customer service is non-existant. It's worse than
Shimano's, even!

FWIW, Mavic once made fantastic quality rims. They were
straight-as-an-arrow.

Old March 8th 05, 04:11 AM
Slack

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 06:16:53 -0800, routebeer
wrote:

FWIW, Mavic once made fantastic quality rims. They were
straight-as-an-arrow.

Some of still believe this... at least for their higher-end rims.
--
Slack - still riding a set of 521's