There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled

Old September 30th 06, 02:49 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc
Dave Head

Default There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:42:22 -0400, "Bill Brabender"
wrote:

"Dave Head" wrote in message
.. .
On 28 Sep 2006 13:09:31 -0700, "donquijote1954"

wrote:

There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled. It's
the whole system that needs to be changed. The License to Kill given to
absolute beginners, the lack of lane discipline (passing on the right,
something unheard of in Europe),

There

is

nothing

wrong

with

passing

on

the

right.

Period.

I wish to hell people would stop coming up with this stuff. What Europe
does
is non-relavent in the USA. This silly law was repealed 30+ years ago
here
when we began building our interstates with left exits, among other things
that
included everyone being infuriated at someone in the left lane doing the
SL -
10 mph and then getting a ticket for passing the SOB.

Dave Head

There's a reason they call it "undertaking" in the UK and it is still
illegal there IIRC

Allowing for differences of left and right hand drive:-)

Fine, but _we_ aren't in the UK, and there is no more danger in passing on the
right here than there is in passing on the left here.

Dave Head

Old September 30th 06, 02:52 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc
Dave Head

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 22:45:32 GMT, "Tomes" wrote:

"Dave Head" wrote in message
.. .
On 28 Sep 2006 13:09:31 -0700, "donquijote1954"

wrote:

snip ....... the lack of lane discipline (passing on the right,
something unheard of in Europe),

There is nothing wrong with passing on the right. Period.

I wish to hell people would stop coming up with this stuff. What Europe
does
is non-relavent in the USA. This silly law was repealed 30+ years ago
here
when we began building our interstates with left exits, among other things
that
included everyone being infuriated at someone in the left lane doing the
SL -
10 mph and then getting a ticket for passing the SOB.

Dave Head

In New Jersey USA it is actually illegal to pass on the right except on a
multi-lane road when the passee is making a left turn. If you do it on a
freeway (or even on a 2 lane road when the vehicle in front is making a
left) it is specifically illegal and people do get tickets for it.
Tomes

New Jersey is a famous nanny state that is going to protect absolutely
everybody from absolutely everything, or so they think. Or, this may be more
about making money via tickets. But in the vast majority of the remainder of
the USA, including famously-speed-conscious Ohio, its still legal to pass on
the right. Has been for 30+ years.

Dave Head

Old September 30th 06, 05:42 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Bob

n5hsr wrote:

Or the law about doing more than 20 over the limit is a felony. If that's
so, then 99.999% of the drivers on the TriState Tollway are felons, because
the average speed most of the time is nearer 80 than 55. I've seen some
days when it hit closer to 90, and even the right lane is going 75-80.

Charles of Schaumburg

If such an Illinois law existed you could be closer to being right than
wrong. Unfortunately for your hyperbole however, there is no such law.
I can only guess that you are referring to the "fleeing to elude
police" statute in which case you should stop quoting the law until you
actually *read* it.

Try- http://www.law.cornell.edu/states/illinois

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old September 30th 06, 10:36 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
n5hsr

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" wrote in
message news
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 04:22:51 -0500, "n5hsr" wrote:

Or the law about doing more than 20 over the limit is a felony. If that's
so, then 99.999% of the drivers on the TriState Tollway are felons,
because
the average speed most of the time is nearer 80 than 55. I've seen some
days when it hit closer to 90, and even the right lane is going 75-80.

Charles of Schaumburg

I don't believe there is any such law, though i'd love to see it. You
got a link?

No, I got that one straight from a State Policeman that is a friend of mine.
No, he wasn't writing me a ticket. . . . .

Charles of Schaumburg

Old September 30th 06, 10:38 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.autos.4x4,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
n5hsr

"Bob" wrote in message
ps.com...
n5hsr wrote:

Or the law about doing more than 20 over the limit is a felony. If
that's
so, then 99.999% of the drivers on the TriState Tollway are felons,
because
the average speed most of the time is nearer 80 than 55. I've seen some
days when it hit closer to 90, and even the right lane is going 75-80.

Charles of Schaumburg

If such an Illinois law existed you could be closer to being right than
wrong. Unfortunately for your hyperbole however, there is no such law.
I can only guess that you are referring to the "fleeing to elude
police" statute in which case you should stop quoting the law until you
actually *read* it.

Try- http://www.law.cornell.edu/states/illinois

Regards,
Bob Hunt

1. Page doesn't link.

2. I have a friend who just happens to be a State Policeman who told me
about it. Either he's lying to me (very doubtful) or he was lied to by his
superiors.

Charles of Schaumburg

Old September 30th 06, 10:47 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc
n5hsr

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" wrote in
message ...
On 29 Sep 2006 06:48:10 -0700, "Tim Kreitz"
wrote:

Any number of studies and stats can be googled that show how in areas
where highway speed limits are higher, per-capita fatalities are LOWER.
Germany, Italy, and (until recently) Montana are all good examples,
just for starters.

HAHAHAHA. Don't start in with that nonsense again. The issue was
settled back in 1974 when america went to the 55 and immediately
highway deaths plumetted.

But cars are actually much better now than the Detroit Land Yachts most were
driving in 1974. My Corolla from back then could get up to 70. Anything
over that and I'd start shaking parts off. My current Corolla's been up to
95, and it has over 226,000 miles on it, and regularly does 70 with no
strain at all. As a matter of fact if I'm only doing 70, I'm way over in
the slow lane on most tollways now, and someone's riding up my bumper. And
it didn't really save that much gas. And those ridiculous 87 MPH
speedometers. If I wanted a moped, I'd buy one. I buried the needle going
downhill once. American cars may get their best mileage at 35, but the
newer Japanese cars actually are geared to do better at 65-70.

And if you check the accident rates, on the Autobahn with its higher speed,
it's still lower than our 65 MPH Interstates. And they can go 200 MPH
legally on the Autobahn. They have Porches and Mercedes and Ferrarris over
there. And a slower traffic keep right rule.

Charles of Schaumburg

Old September 30th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Turby wrote:
wrote:
"Tim Kreitz" wrote:

Any number of studies and stats can be googled that show how in areas
where highway speed limits are higher, per-capita fatalities are LOWER.
Germany, Italy, and (until recently) Montana are all good examples,
just for starters.

HAHAHAHA. Don't start in with that nonsense again. The issue was
settled back in 1974 when america went to the 55 and immediately
highway deaths plumetted.

The safest roads in America are Insterstate highways - they are also
the roads with the highest average speeds.

I think it has rather more to do with the fact that Interstate highways
have the lowest number of intersections of any typing of driving one
does. People infrequently have accidents when they're all going
approximately at the same speed going in the same direction. It's when
you have intersections, driveways, crosswalks and similar breaks in the
road that things get complicated.

I noticed the original poster (DQ) added some new groups to his latest
troll. It actually appears to be one of his more subtle trolls. The
drunk driving angle is perhaps one of the better hooks he's employed.
Still, I think he should work on adding more contention to the subject.
Good try though.

--
Dane Buson -
To accuse others for one's own misfortunes is a sign of want of education. To
Old September 30th 06, 02:11 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc
PeterD

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:56:17 GMT, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
MURDERERS wrote:

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:46:22 -0400, PeterD wrote:

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 06:13:39 GMT, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
MURDERERS wrote:
Stop coddling these deadly speeders and DUIs and phone-drivers.

Yea, and make stepping on the brakes in the merge lanes a felony. You
can't merge on a highway with your foot on the brake!

Are you serious??. Sometimes you have to slow down to merge. That's
the stupidest idea i ever heard.

Repeat after me: you cannot merge on the highway with your foot on the
brake. You have to be going the same speed, (or slightly faster) to
merge, if you slow down, (and then eventually stop) you can't merge.

Then you are stuck at the end of the merge lane, stopped, (or almost
stopped) traffic either wizzing past you at speed (as they should) or
slamming on their brakes (and causing accidents; sorry, that's YOU
causing accidents) to try to be nice and let you in.

I see you are one of those idiots who gets to the merge, at *half* the
speed of the others, twists their head all the way around, puts their
foot on the brakes and then thinks "Damn, it's so hard to merge on
highways".
Old September 30th 06, 04:46 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc

MURDERERS wrote:
Stop coddling these deadly speeders and DUIs and phone-drivers.

Yea, and make stepping on the brakes in the merge lanes a felony. You
can't merge on a highway with your foot on the brake!

Are you serious??. Sometimes you have to slow down to merge. That's
the stupidest idea i ever heard.

Repeat after me: you cannot merge on the highway with your foot on the
brake. You have to be going the same speed, (or slightly faster) to
merge, if you slow down, (and then eventually stop) you can't merge.

But the lane you're merging into often has vehicles going assorted
speeds. THINK
Old September 30th 06, 06:06 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc
morticide

wrote:

Any number of studies and stats can be googled that show how in areas
where highway speed limits are higher, per-capita fatalities are LOWER.
Germany, Italy, and (until recently) Montana are all good examples,
just for starters.

HAHAHAHA. Don't start in with that nonsense again. The issue was
settled back in 1974 when america went to the 55 and immediately
highway deaths plumetted.

In 1974 the Interstate highway system was still being built and was not
completed until the late 1980s (I-95 in NJ Still incomplete!). 55-60
is about right on 2-lane roads.

Mmmmm'ever hear of highway hypnosis? That's a phenomenon commonly
mentioned back in Federal 55 relating to long drives down the
Interstate at 55. Its stats may have contributed to the later Federal
65. Check out ALL the facts...and see the benefits.

4 Wheel Drive(r)s jh Australia 4 August 2nd 06 11:27 AM
The Destruction of the World Trade Center: Why the Official Account Cannot Be True harbinger Australia 7 June 4th 06 02:43 PM
What we always suspected - 4WD drivers obese, conservative: study Jimbo Jones Australia 8 September 28th 05 12:46 AM
Cyclist rant: back in black John UK 1099 March 18th 05 11:09 AM
Dangerous Drivers Idea Anthony Australia 49 September 4th 04 03:10 AM