Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

Old October 2nd 06, 10:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
n5hsr

Default THE GOLDEN RULE

"Steve Daniels" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 03:18:16 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled Kevan Smith , to say:

There's really no reason to
eat meat other than taste.

You say that like that's not a good enough reason.

Animals have a place in my world. On the plate next to the potatoes. G

I'm a member of PETA: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

But then there are those of us that are supposed to eat 8 oz of meat a day
and can't eat the subsitutes for whatever reason.

Really, I'm against animal cruelty, but the people at PETA are way too far
to the LEFT on this one.

Charles of Schaumburg

Old October 2nd 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Daryl Hunt

"Steve Daniels" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 03:18:16 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled Kevan Smith , to say:

There's really no reason to
eat meat other than taste.

You say that like that's not a good enough reason.

Cats, the other white meat.

Old October 4th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship

"Jack May" wrote in message
. ..

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:

Cholesterol is both. It harms you when you eat it, and there is no
dietary necessity to eat it.

Tell that to the hawk that is using my back yard as a supermarket for
birds and squirrels.

People have evolved over millions of years to eat meat. We know that
gathering activities by women in tribes could not provide enough calories
to keep people from starving to death.

....In the event that they're spending all their time savenging, which we no
longer do. And keep in mind that these people did not eat a lot of meat,
and much of the meat they did eat was in the form of worms and bugs. Anyone
in favor of adding worms and bugs to the supermarket shelves because we're
evolved to eat them? ;-)

Hunting and scavenging meat was required to provide enough calories. Our
millions of years of evolution as meat eaters would tend to make meat
eating more than just a simple choice.

We are omnivores, which means we can choose. If you look around you,
there's no shortage of calories in most developed nations.

Our body is built for meat eaters all the way to our eyes that are
designed to focus straight ahead for hunting rather tan looking all around
as done by plant eaters being hunted.

So are gorilla eyes. They eat plants.

People can live on a fully vegetarian diet with our big surplus of food,
but the person must pay a lot of attention to what they are eating.

It depends on what you mean by vegetarian. The word vegetarian means that
one expresses a respect for life through diet, not that one eats strictly
vegetable matter. Both vegetable and vegetarian have the same root, but
vegetable is not the root for vegetarian. Some vegetarians feel that their
respect for life can only be expressed by avoiding all animal products, and
this form of vegetarianism is called "vegan." Other vegetarians are fine
with eating dairy and eggs, and still other consider fish ok.

I think the reason it's difficult to eat strictly vegan is that we process
our food to death and a lot of the nutrients have been surgically removed.

People have a lot of things that make their lives very busy. Switching
to a vegetarian diet is probably too time consuming for most people.

We always find time for the things that are important to us. Besides, we're
evolved to spend our time gathering and preparing our food, right?

-Amy

Old October 4th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
bill

. ..
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:
[...]

Also no shortage of processed food that is now working to shorten
people's lives. We are indeed omnivores but that part of evolution has
locked us out of being vegetarians in the natural world, since we can't
process grass the same way that cattle do.

Our body is built for meat eaters all the way to our eyes that are
designed to focus straight ahead for hunting rather tan looking all around
as done by plant eaters being hunted.

So are gorilla eyes. They eat plants.

It is a predator/prey kind of thing, and in that point of view gorillas
are not likely to be prey. Do you think the 600 pound gorilla gives a
hoot about what is behind him? It is only the other kind of ape that the
gorilla needs to worry about, the human kind.

People can live on a fully vegetarian diet with our big surplus of food,
but the person must pay a lot of attention to what they are eating.

If you look at a lot of what people eat in the vegetable/fruit area, you
will find that there are not a lot of calories in some things, so it
would be unreasonable to exist on such a diet. You can get that 'full'
feeling but still not putting 'gas' in the tank.

It depends on what you mean by vegetarian. The word vegetarian means that
one expresses a respect for life through diet, not that one eats strictly
vegetable matter. Both vegetable and vegetarian have the same root, but
vegetable is not the root for vegetarian. Some vegetarians feel that their
respect for life can only be expressed by avoiding all animal products, and
this form of vegetarianism is called "vegan." Other vegetarians are fine
with eating dairy and eggs, and still other consider fish ok.

The "vegans" are a little bit over the top, and I think not all together
in the brains department. I have heard of them refusing to even take a
vitamin supplement if there was a chance of ANY animal product in the
vitamin. That is a little extremist, to be that fanatic that you would
risk your health to avoid any possible animal product. They are such a
minority that they are not affecting the marketing of animal foods, and
as such the vendors don't care.

I think the reason it's difficult to eat strictly vegan is that we process
our food to death and a lot of the nutrients have been surgically removed.

No argument on that topic. Trans-fatty acids and high fructose corn
syrup come to mind quickly and avoiding those two items takes most food
off the shopping list, and almost all restaurants.

People have a lot of things that make their lives very busy. Switching
to a vegetarian diet is probably too time consuming for most people.

We always find time for the things that are important to us. Besides, we're
evolved to spend our time gathering and preparing our food, right?

-Amy

Yeah, but mostly it is called work, to earn the money to gather at the
supermarket.
Bill Baka
Old October 5th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
george conklin

"bill" wrote in message
. ..
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:
[...]

That is why we eat animals. They eat grass; we eat the animal which has
processed the grass for us. Simple.

Old October 5th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
Amy Blankenship wrote:

People have evolved over millions of years to eat meat. We know that
gathering activities by women in tribes could not provide enough calories
to keep people from starving to death.

...In the event that they're spending all their time savenging, which we no
longer do. And keep in mind that these people did not eat a lot of meat,
and much of the meat they did eat was in the form of worms and bugs. Anyone
in favor of adding worms and bugs to the supermarket shelves because we're
evolved to eat them? ;-)

Actually, they are a significant source of protein and micronutrients
among vegetarian Indians. As a meat eater I prefer not to consume any
more than necessary, but as a vegetarian you might want to welcome
those additions to your flour.

I think the reason it's difficult to eat strictly vegan is that we process
our food to death and a lot of the nutrients have been surgically removed.

You can think that, but it's that kind of fuzzy-headed thinking which
leads to malnutrition. It's difficult to eat strictly vegan because
vegan foods tend to lack certain micronutrients -- particularly
vitamin B-12.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old October 5th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Jack May

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

. ..

(Matthew Russotto) wrote:

People have evolved over millions of years to eat meat. We know that
gathering activities by women in tribes could not provide enough calories
to keep people from starving to death.

...In the event that they're spending all their time savenging, which we
no longer do. And keep in mind that these people did not eat a lot of
meat, and much of the meat they did eat was in the form of worms and bugs.
Anyone in favor of adding worms and bugs to the supermarket shelves
because we're evolved to eat them? ;-)

Hunting in primitive tribes is a big, if not the predominate source of
protein. The research I have read about the diets ancient tribes talked
mainly about hunting. Bugs did not seem to be a major part of their diet.
If anything, the women would have been collecting the bugs, not the men.
The main research conclusion is that men provided most of the calories from
their hunting.

Our body is built for meat eaters all the way to our eyes that are
designed to focus straight ahead for hunting rather tan looking all
around as done by plant eaters being hunted.

So are gorilla eyes. They eat plants.

Not much of a proof since when a species get big enough (literally 600 pound
gorillas) where they are no longer threatened with being eaten, the body
design changes over time. If you are not being hunted, a wide angle view is
not needed.

I can only guess that the forward looking eyes are for climbing in trees to
get fruit for the western and leaves for the eastern gorillas (did a little
googling)

I think the reason it's difficult to eat strictly vegan is that we process
our food to death and a lot of the nutrients have been surgically removed.

This is starting to sound like all the stupid conspiracy theories for
transit. Generally when something is done by only a small percentage of
people it usually means that there is fundamentally something wrong that is
objectionable to most people.

We always find time for the things that are important to us. Besides,
we're evolved to spend our time gathering and preparing our food, right?

You will quickly realize how wrong you are if your life ever becomes
extremely busy where you are constantly fighting burn out and getting to the
store becomes hard to do. I am often in that mode and have to be sure to
have at least 4 weeks of food in the house for me and the cats to get me
between times when shopping is possible.

Makes me really appreciate CostCo and Pet Club