Tour de France, stage 10 summary

Old July 15th 08, 08:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Martin

Default Tour de France, stage 10 summary

in 41214 20080715 013759 Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Bob, I have to question why you keep posting these summaries. They seem
a bit off-topic for rbr: no mentions of drunkenness, politics or sex; no
graphs; no reference to the number of guns various riders may be
equipped with, or to which regular posters are actually computer
simulations. Furthermore, you fail to use the word "dumbass" at all.

Really, I have to question where you're going with this.

Great posts like yours, Ryan, make it all worthwhile! Thanks.
Old July 15th 08, 08:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Martin

in 41235 20080715 025532 "Jim F" wrote:

My only question for Bob is how long it takes for him to compile the stats.
His posts are one of the few I actually read.

If nothing goes wrong, about 30 seconds. Of course that's not counting the
hours of programming during the winter, but that's fun.
Old July 15th 08, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Martin

in 41245 20080715 033836 phillip brown wrote:

My question for Bob is why he puts in '...' when he could just as
easily leave in 4th and 8th (and maybe even 11, 12 and 15)?

I'm trying to extract the interesting bits rather than repeat the top of the GC,
but I'm always open to suggestions for improvements. Would top 10 + favourites
be more useful?
If I can select the list of favourites accurately there won't be any gaps after stage 21!

Otherwise, outstanding job. For me, also, one of my 'must read' posts
each day.

Thanks.
Old July 15th 08, 09:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Martin

in 41139 20080714 185435 "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
It is pretty surprising how well Christian Vande Velde looked. He was
obviously pressed but my suspicions are that he can at LEAST hold that
position into Paris especially considering that he is a hell of a lot faster
in the 56 km TT than the other hopefuls.

I have added Vande Velde (or is it Vandevelde?) to my list of favourites
even though he is 72nd in my rankings. As the list is generated automatically
he would not normally have appeared even if I had selected 40 favourites.
He seems to be performing well outside his norm.
Old July 15th 08, 09:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sreekumar A

Bob Martin wrote:

Changes in stage 10 compared to stage 9

Biggest gainers by position :

Thanks Bob,
I find these useful. I refer to your posts before reading other reports
on TdF.

Thanks
Sreekumar
Old July 15th 08, 09:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Bob Martin wrote:
I have added Vande Velde (or is it Vandevelde?) to my list of favourites
even though he is 72nd in my rankings. As the list is generated
automatically he would not normally have appeared even if I had selected
40 favourites. He seems to be performing well outside his norm.

Do they make argyle cooler boxes ?

Old July 15th 08, 11:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Bob Martin schreef:
I have added Vande Velde (or is it Vandevelde?) to my list of favourites
even though he is 72nd in my rankings. As the list is generated automatically
he would not normally have appeared even if I had selected 40 favourites.
He seems to be performing well outside his norm.

It's his first year as a team leader.

The automation is a good system. I don't think it's a good idea to add
random good performers to the favourites halfway through the race. All
races would end with the favourites on top.
Old July 15th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Martin

in 41295 20080715 111708 Ted van de Weteringe wrote:
Bob Martin schreef:
I have added Vande Velde (or is it Vandevelde?) to my list of favourites
even though he is 72nd in my rankings. As the list is generated automatically
he would not normally have appeared even if I had selected 40 favourites.
He seems to be performing well outside his norm.

It's his first year as a team leader.

The automation is a good system. I don't think it's a good idea to add
random good performers to the favourites halfway through the race. All
races would end with the favourites on top.

My thoughts exactly! In this case I was bowing to pressure ... ;-)
Old July 15th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Jul 14, 11:33*am, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:
schreef:

I was impressed with the Saunier Duval team the way they played around
at the head of the race. I hadn't seen that since Festina in the 1997
Tour.

:roll-eyes:

Horner did not want to dope, so he had to go. lol
Old July 15th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Alan Hoyle

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 04:05:29, Bob Martin wrote:
in 41139 20080714 185435 "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
It is pretty surprising how well Christian Vande Velde looked. He was
obviously pressed but my suspicions are that he can at LEAST hold that
position into Paris especially considering that he is a hell of a lot faster
in the 56 km TT than the other hopefuls.

I have added Vande Velde (or is it Vandevelde?) to my list of favourites
even though he is 72nd in my rankings. As the list is generated automatically
he would not normally have appeared even if I had selected 40 favourites.
He seems to be performing well outside his norm.

Bob,

Any chance you could slightly change the "display favorites" algorithm slightly?

For a bunch of these summaries, it's been something like

1
2
3
5
6
8
etc.

If there's a gap of just one, wouldn't it make sense to just display that name?

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/