There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled

Old September 28th 06, 09:09 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc
donquijote1954

Default There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled

There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled. It's
the whole system that needs to be changed. The License to Kill given to
absolute beginners, the lack of lane discipline (passing on the right,
something unheard of in Europe), the reckless talk on the phone, the
driving of monster vehicles with raised bumpers that can kill above the
protection area of any other car, the insurance companies that fail to
make those guilty ones pay for every loss they cause, and so many other
areas in which the government and organizations such as Mothers Against
Drunk Drivers are totally indifferent.

In the meantime the jungle continues out there...

"It's No Accident: The Real Story Behind Senseless Death and Injury on
Our Roads"
by Lisa Lewis

For more than 30 years, the government has been ramming cars into walls
in an effort to make car crashes safe. The public has been conditioned
to believe that seatbelts, airbags and more "crashworthy" vehicles are
the best ways to protect us from harm on the roads. Meanwhile, the most
basic strategies to deter dangerous driving and prevent crashes have
been ignored. "It's No Accident" provides a rare glimpse into how the
government got seduced by the promise of "safe crashing." It then
examines the major factors involved in crashes today, including
speeding, aggressive driving, distractions (e.g. cell phones) and
drowsy driving. The author reveals that many dangerous behaviors are
now promoted by businesses, and that drivers who kill often walk away
with just a small fine. This expose is a must-read for anyone concerned
about what's happening on our roads and how to stop it.

Reviews:
Interesting ...
2 Dec 2005 (updated 15 Dec 2005)
by John
This book is a very nuanced discussion of the problems of road safety.
The author challenges the government, the insurance industry, the auto
industry, the media, the motorists, and even Mothers Against Drunk
Driving to defend the outrageous and immoral behavior that we're seeing
on the roads today -- and the degree to which they are contributing to
it. It is a no-holds barred expose that reveals the hard truths about
behaviors and policies that put innocent people at risk on the roads.

Right on Target [ No Rating ] 10 Jan 2006
by falconer
I ordered three books from the vendor and
requested that my order be mailed by federal express (it was a cost of
$14.00). They indicated that I would receive the books on the following
Tuesday and I did. I was pleased with the service. I would like to
compliment you for a book that is well written. I have not looked at
car safety as much from the crash prevention but from crash mitigation.
You are so on target. The book needs to be read by many, I am trying to
encourage everyone I know to read it. I have about
twenty pages left. I can feel your frustration....... and I really
agreed at how you look at MADD it is not only drinking but it is
speed,following too close and of course those cell phones users. I will
be sending your organization more money by the end of the week ( I made
a pledge of 50.00)./ MADD should listen to all of the accidents
included fatal ones that happen everyday in the morning as people are
going to work.........

http://www.lulu.com/content/186268

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

BIKE FOR PEACE
http://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace

Old September 28th 06, 09:19 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc
BE

That's right, what passes for safety these days is nothing more than
accident survival.

The emphisis needs to return to accident prevention and the enforcement of
lane integrity laws.

Old September 28th 06, 10:48 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc
Jim Higson

donquijote1954 wrote:

(passing on the right, something unheard of in Europe)

Funny, I thought the UK was in Europe.

--
Jim
Old September 28th 06, 10:49 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc
PeterD

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:19:25 -0400, "BE" wrote:

That's right, what passes for safety these days is nothing more than
accident survival.

The emphisis needs to return to accident prevention and the enforcement of
lane integrity laws.

ANd we can put that emphisis on just AFTER we get rid of the SPAMMERs
such as the original poster who is just flogging his books.
Old September 28th 06, 11:57 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc
Dave Head

On 28 Sep 2006 13:09:31 -0700, "donquijote1954"
wrote:

There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled. It's
the whole system that needs to be changed. The License to Kill given to
absolute beginners, the lack of lane discipline (passing on the right,
something unheard of in Europe),

There

is

nothing

wrong

with

passing

on

the

right.

Period.

I wish to hell people would stop coming up with this stuff. What Europe does
is non-relavent in the USA. This silly law was repealed 30+ years ago here
when we began building our interstates with left exits, among other things that
included everyone being infuriated at someone in the left lane doing the SL -
10 mph and then getting a ticket for passing the SOB.

Dave Head
Old September 29th 06, 03:11 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc
Nate Nagel

wrote:

There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled. It's
the whole system that needs to be changed. The License to Kill given to
absolute beginners, the lack of lane discipline (passing on the right,
something unheard of in Europe),

There

is

nothing

wrong

with

passing

on

the

right.

Period.

Sure there is. In an environment where people are used to others
driving correctly (i.e. not the USA,) they're not expecting to be passed
on the right. Doing something that other drivers don't expect increases
risk, however slightly.

I wish to hell people would stop coming up with this stuff. What Europe does
is non-relavent in the USA. This silly law was repealed 30+ years ago here
when we began building our interstates with left exits, among other things that
included everyone being infuriated at someone in the left lane doing the SL -
10 mph and then getting a ticket for passing the SOB.

Dave Head

The correct solution is to not have left exits and to enforce lane
discipline laws, and then this discussion will be irrelevant.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old September 29th 06, 04:10 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled. It's
the whole system that needs to be changed. The License to Kill given to
absolute beginners, the lack of lane discipline (passing on the right,
something unheard of in Europe),

There

is

nothing

wrong

with

passing

on

the

right.

Period.

Most highways in North America have signs that say "Slower traffic keep right" seems to inidicate that we should pass on the Left.

Bg

Old September 29th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
n5hsr

wrote:

[...]

Go drive down the Eisenhower I-290 between 1st and Austin and tell me that
again.

I don't have to. I've done it many times. I've got off at both Austin and
Harlem and also got ON at both streets, and they are both off and ON on the
left. And as far as I know, we still drive on the Right side of the road
here.

Charles of Schaumburg.

Old September 29th 06, 06:11 AM posted to alt.law-enforcement.traffic,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.4x4,rec.bicycles.misc
Old Wolf

donquijote1954 wrote:
There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled. It's
the whole system that needs to be changed. The License to Kill given to
absolute beginners, the lack of lane discipline (passing on the right,
something unheard of in Europe)

Call-sign of the LLB: criticism of "passing on the right".

Old September 29th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

n5hsr wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Whoever designed the Ike/Harlem [1] interchange should be committed.
Entering the Ike when the traffic is heavy but moving fast (daytime,
off rush hour) is a gamble - put your foot down and hope there is an
opening in traffic before the merging lane ends.

[1]
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=10&Z=16&X=2166&Y=23180&W=2&qs=har lem%7criver+forest%7cil%7c&Addr=N+Harlem+Ave%2c+Ri ver+Forest%2c+IL+60305&ALon=-87.8055720&ALat=41.9034257.

--
Tom "Ex FIB" Sherman - Here, not there.

4 Wheel Drive(r)s jh Australia 4 August 2nd 06 11:27 AM
The Destruction of the World Trade Center: Why the Official Account Cannot Be True harbinger Australia 7 June 4th 06 02:43 PM
What we always suspected - 4WD drivers obese, conservative: study Jimbo Jones Australia 8 September 28th 05 12:46 AM
Cyclist rant: back in black John UK 1099 March 18th 05 11:09 AM
Dangerous Drivers Idea Anthony Australia 49 September 4th 04 03:10 AM